AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in a different thread but do not want to steal it so here it goes. I only run the component cable (the ceiling) to the PJ and have 3 sources (DVD, DSS, XBOX) and only 2 component outputs in the current AVR which is Marantz SR7400.

Seems like this one (second unit) is messed up as well so it is going back to the dealer. I just read that the video is only being upconverted to 480i (duuh) in the AVR's and I'm basicaly s***d as the 3rd component (upconverted) will not display via component (480p) input on my Infocus X1. Either I need to find some AVR that will take 3 components (have 3 inputs), upconvert to 480p or I need to get a different PJ.

Ehh ..

Anyway, will you please help me set this thing up and so I can start enjoying home theater for once! :)

My budget is not more then $2000 for both the AVR and DVD with SACD and DVD-Audio capability and not more then $2500 for a new PJ.

Also if I need to change the PJ (which I started thinking about anyway) then it is OK. I currently have Infocus X!. While it is not bad for the money I would probably want something with XGA resolution and close to 2000 lumes.

Current setup (still not finished as I keep getting faulty AVR's, etc and am already sick of having everything spread all over the room). My wife is getting angry but not trying to kill me ... I do not know how much longer I can hold her that way ;)

So, I have Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-370, Mini Monitors, and PS-1000 Sub - those I'm VERY happy with (for the MONEY and my ear they were TOP NOTCH).

I need the AVR, DVD and new 4:3 PJ (as explained above). If I change the PJ it will have to take 480i over component and then the AVR will only have to have video upconversion.

I have no control over the light during the day but I do only get some ambient light.

Please help, please ... :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It will be less expensive to get a projector that does what you need than an AVR that does what you need. The IF5700 just dropped to $4K retail, so that is less than buying a Yamaha receiver with linedoubling. You could also get an outboard line doubler from DVDO and solve your problems for less than that, but have your current projector. Most DLP projectors are going to be less than 1500 lumens if you want a picture than won't cause your retinas to burn in and your body to go into seizures. Ultra bright projectors use a white segment that just hypes brightness.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I forgot that 1100 lumes Infocus X1 is only close to 1100 in presentation mode and its output is cut by almost 50% in video mode. So, let say I will need somewhere close to up to REAL 1500 lumens.

I do not want to deal with Marantz anymore so I still need a receiver as well. As far as the PJ, I do not think I still want the X1 after seeing XGA PJ with more light output such as NEC LT240K, etc :)

Please remember:

AVR and DVD - not more then 2k

PJ not more then 2.5K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.