AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in a different thread but do not want to steal it so here it goes. I only run the component cable (the ceiling) to the PJ and have 3 sources (DVD, DSS, XBOX) and only 2 component outputs in the current AVR which is Marantz SR7400.

Seems like this one (second unit) is messed up as well so it is going back to the dealer. I just read that the video is only being upconverted to 480i (duuh) in the AVR's and I'm basicaly s***d as the 3rd component (upconverted) will not display via component (480p) input on my Infocus X1. Either I need to find some AVR that will take 3 components (have 3 inputs), upconvert to 480p or I need to get a different PJ.

Ehh ..

Anyway, will you please help me set this thing up and so I can start enjoying home theater for once! :)

My budget is not more then $2000 for both the AVR and DVD with SACD and DVD-Audio capability and not more then $2500 for a new PJ.

Also if I need to change the PJ (which I started thinking about anyway) then it is OK. I currently have Infocus X!. While it is not bad for the money I would probably want something with XGA resolution and close to 2000 lumes.

Current setup (still not finished as I keep getting faulty AVR's, etc and am already sick of having everything spread all over the room). My wife is getting angry but not trying to kill me ... I do not know how much longer I can hold her that way ;)

So, I have Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-370, Mini Monitors, and PS-1000 Sub - those I'm VERY happy with (for the MONEY and my ear they were TOP NOTCH).

I need the AVR, DVD and new 4:3 PJ (as explained above). If I change the PJ it will have to take 480i over component and then the AVR will only have to have video upconversion.

I have no control over the light during the day but I do only get some ambient light.

Please help, please ... :)

Well, I do not know where should I post it, PJ or Audio forum?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a simple Recoton 4 input manual switch box ($30) that was made for composite video and audio switching that works like a champ for my three component sources. As long as you don't mind getting out of your chair to do your switching, don't spend a lot of money on a new AVR.

You usually have to get up anyway to put in a new game or DVD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed. Composite you say? ;)

Anyway, any "higher end" solutions? The thing is - I need to get that new AVR because I'm talking that one back. I was thinking about changing the PJ anyway. So, what options do I have within the price range and taste.

Someone proposed Yamaha 2400 but personally I do not like the way it sounded.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you get a new receiver just make sure the component switching is rated to cover HD signals. Some of them are limited and aren't even capable of passng 480p. Have you considered getting a Line Doubler? The generally have several video inputs and have very good quality processing. I would look at Marantz, Rotel and Denon higher end stuff to, you may find something there as far as a new receiver. Chances are you would be over spending on the receiver to get the video switching capabilities you want and would be better off with a lesser expensive receiver and a line doubler (check the market place or ebay you may find good deals)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something to think about. I currently have a Marantz that I'll be returning so I do not think it is a good choice ;)

What about waiting for Denon 3805? :) On the other hand, what am I going to be listening to for the next ~ 2 months :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, there are very few receivers currently on the market that have more than 2 component video inputs. There are only two that I can think of off hand that have more than two and are under $2000, let alone around $1500 or so. If you can get a good deal on the Denon 4802R or the Sherwood Newcastle R-965, they both have three component video inputs.

If not, then I'd either wait for the 3805 or some other less expensive receiver with more inputs to come out, or I'd get a nice remote controllable switcher like the Zektor HDS-4 that has 4 component inputs and one output. Audio Authority makes a similar device that is cheaper, but autoswitches inputs. The Key Digital KD-SW4x1 is going for a good price on copperbox as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.