AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a feeling of nervous excitment here. I just bought the Denon 2808CI reciever, the denon Wifi ipod dock for accessing all my music on our computers, and a set of axiom outdoor speakers. Even though I have a Sony Bravia XBR4 tv, what I really was needing was outside music by my new pool and patio area. I do want music inside and want to be able to enjoy surround for movies, but I am mostly missing music outside right now. I did not buy any speakers for inside yet because I just really don't know which way to go yet.

Here's where I need more advice from this forum(which has helped me so far so much). Do I....

A. get the Boston Acoustics MCS 130 set on sale at circuit city for 369.00?

B. wait and get the seperate pieces by axiom later for $1393? The axiom set looks really nice.

Will the Boston Acoustics give a good sound, or will they be less than adequate and feel kind of cheap compared to the rest of my system? I can go on and buy the BA's now for that price, and they do list at $899.00. I feel like I have a nice system put together so far and don't want to waste money on something that I will throw out in the near future. I will be able to spend the money on more expensive speakers in the next couple of months if I wait. I also still need to get the denon RC-7000CI remote so that I can operate my reciever from outside by my pool.

I've been studying the owners manual online for this reciever, and think that I understand how to set everything up and make my connections. I'm just a little bit nervous about it all going smoothly.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
$369 speaker for a $800 receiver is way lopsided. It should be the other way around as speakers play a far larger role in sound. That said, if money is tight right now, go with a good pair of towers or bookshelves up front and add the rest later. Axiom has great bookshelves as does many other manufacturers. Only your ears can decide what you like. If you like the sound of the Axioms you have, then check out their bookshelf offerings which start at $280/pair.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats kind of what I thought too, my reciever will be overkill for the BA's and a waste of money.

I do have a set of Bose that are about 20 years old. They may work for now. I looked behind the grill, and they are some interaudio XL's. the recommended amp power is 10-90 watts, impedance is 4-8 OHMS. It says max continuous power per I.E.C. is 70 watts. I guess that means that I couldn't turn them up loud for any time at all with the Denon reciever being 110 watts per channel. Right?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppy /forum/post/14311500

Yeah, thats kind of what I thought too, my reciever will be overkill for the BA's and a waste of money.

I do have a set of Bose that are about 20 years old. They may work for now. I looked behind the grill, and they are some interaudio XL's. the recommended amp power is 10-90 watts, impedance is 4-8 OHMS. It says max continuous power per I.E.C. is 70 watts. I guess that means that I couldn't turn them up loud for any time at all with the Denon reciever being 110 watts per channel. Right?

So long as you're careful with the volume knob you shouldn't have any problems using the Denon on speakers rated to take up to 70 watts. Just be sensible with how loud it gets, and don't let your sound distort.

In regards to speaker cost vs. receiver cost I totally disagree with matalli's advice. No offense here, but I assume you bought the 2800 series for the second zone functionality and other features right? Just because your receiver costs $800 really has no bearing on what your speakers SHOULD cost. It wouldn't be a waste of money to purchase the BA's if they sound good to you. Besides BA makes great speakers. If you like how they sound I don't think they would be a wasteful purchase at all. What you like is all that is important at the end of the day.

-Chad

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did buy the reciever for other functions/zones, but I don't want to spend even $100 on a quick fix so to speak. I just happened to see this package and was wondering if it would be worth it in the long run to get them. My concern is will I be satisied with them down the road or not and will I be wanting to upgrade. I know that Denon actually puts these speakers with one of their less expensive recievers as a package.

I guess I will use the old 20 year old Bose for now and will probably end up getting the axiom speakers soon. I will know for sure after I test out the outdoor axiom's.

Oh, by the way, where should I hook these Bose to? Maybe the fronts in the main zone? Does it matter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts