AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the installation of a DirecTV system and they are on their way over this Friday! This will be great as I have a huge oak tree in

my back yard which I thought precluded the possibility of receiving an adequate signal. Not so! I guess I just clear the sucker....

A few questions:

1. This will be a Sony HD-100 system install, primarily to receive HBO-HD and PPV. I have been told I can subscribe to HBO & HBO Family ($12/mo) for HD and DirecTV Ltd ($7.99/mo)for PPV access and that's all I need to subscribe to! Does this sound correct? I'm not interested in the other channels, and am leaning towards keeping my analog cable (I know, I know) at least for basic local channels, etc.

2. The installer will install a diplexor to run the sat signal through existing cable tv coaxial. My cable tv coaxial is a fairly recent installation, but will this degrade the satellite signal? Do typical (recent) cable T.V. installs include RG-6 cable?

3. I had my property surveyed for a satellite signal AND OTA UHF before ordering my gear. The technician said I have NO local HD. This is probably true, but I live in L.A. for crying out loud! Would it be worth it for me to experiment with various antennas to try and get OTA HD? I really want to watch PBS specials in hi def...

4. Any surprises on hooking the HD-100 up to the SONY XBR400 that I should be aware of? What's the best configuration for hookup? How can I best avoid a "window-box" picture, or this just the way it is with 4x3 high def material?

5. Oh yes, one final question. I have ATT Roadrunner cable modem

service. Will the satellite installation possibly interfere with the

cable modem service (Dumb question, I know....)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
With the mountain between Sunland and Mt Wilson over-the-air HD will be a challenge but probably doable if you expend the effort. I live in Simi Valley which also has 2500' hills between Mt Wilson and me. I got a good antennas and preamp and now get HD over-the-air (I have a Winegard 8200 antenna and 8275 preamp). Search the threads for antemma issues and find out what is best for your situation.

Good luck and happy television watching,

Rick

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure whether the installer has worked

with the SONY XBR and the new STB. Your description of how to do the

hookup jives with my understanding of how to best use this box with

the XBR. Naturally, I want to try to avoid the "window box" effect as

much as possible, because this is a 32-inch set to begin with. Hopefully,

a majority of HBO-HD is 16x9 material so I can enjoy HD in that format...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Runner, thanks for the reply. The guy I talked to at Directv said I also

had to subscribe to Directv Ltd, whatever that is, to receive PPV. So, I

guess this is not the case. Since I have lousy local OTA reception in my area,I will retain analog cable for basic cable plus some programs, such as HGTV,for the "little lady." This is good news (budget wise). I will use your information when intializing the unit tomorrow with Directv....

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
It is also my understanding that after you activate your receiver with any kind of service, you will have access to PPV, though I never ordered PPV so can't verify this. You need DirecTV Ltd only if you do not subscribe to anything at all. So try HBO first, if PPV doesn't work, can add Ltd later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.