AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know all about Verizon's fiber upgrade and rollout going on in various places throughout the country. Great.

But why on earth would they concurrently offer their freedom package that bundles DirecTV service?? Does that make any logical sense that I'm missing?

http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome...spx?ID=HPRmore

·
Registered
5 Posts
That plan is obviously for households that do not have FiOS.

Ultimately, Verizon's plans are to offer all services to the home via a fiber connection. Those plans are supposed to include delivering Directv to the home (replacing the dish).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutler003
Those plans are supposed to include delivering Directv to the home (replacing the dish).

Still wrong, no matter how may times repeated :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
Out of curiosity, why is this wrong?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Because the FIOS service is Verizons own service and has nothing to do with Direct TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
Then, Verizon has a communications problem with their own employees. Those words were right out of the mouth of one of their installers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:
Then, Verizon has a communications problem with their own employees. Those words were right out of the mouth of one of their installers.
Everyone hear should be use to communications problems when talking to an installer or even a service rep. They usually never get it right even when its right in there face....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade
Everyone hear should be use to communications problems when talking to an installer or even a service rep. They usually never get it right even when its right in there face....
So true. Case in point: I signed up for Verizon's FiOS internet service on-line. They had a drop-down calendar that I was able to pick open installation dates. The one I picked happened to be on Saturday, June 18. I was surprised because I figured they only do installs Monday through Friday. So I called the business office to confirm that in fact my installation was for that date. The customer service rep I spoke with said, "Well, we don't do installations on Saturdays. You'll have to pick another date." I thanked her and hung up. Sure enough, the installer called me Friday, the 17th, to confirm the install.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Verizon's problem is the same as all Telco's:

Cable is offering phone services in a rapid rollout. Hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of customer's are moving to Cable before the Telco's can offer tv service.

Solution:

Temporarily offer television through partnership deals with DBS companies.

Result:

Negligible ! Loses perhaps a few million, and save a couple of hundred thousand customers.

* The only Ace up Telco's sleeve is their Cell Phones businesses. But, Cable companies are making deals for that similiar to the Telco's DBS deals.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Qwest must be doing the same thing. I get a flyer from them about once a week.

I'm hoping that means they'll be offering a fiberoptic service as well. Maybe Verizon will move into my area and create some competition on that front. I'm pretty sure there's fiber in my neighborhood since my workplace LAN is connected to it and that's less than a mile away.

A block away a pole for fairly high speed (1.5MB/s + I think) wireless service has just gone up and will be offering Internet services soon. Unfortunately it's price is barely competitive with my existing DSL.

The Charter Cable service in my fairly rural community is no threat as they are dragging their feet slower than any D* customers worst nightmare. As a long time D* customer I'm here to tell you it's starting look a little Freddy Kreuger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade
Because the FIOS service is Verizons own service and has nothing to do with Direct TV.
So, do you say the same thing about SBC Yahoo? It is a business deal, Verizon went to Direct TV and told them they had a way to get TV service to peoples house over fiber optic lines. With FiOS you have the ability to run 4 phone lines, your TV service, and a high speed data line. If you know anything about fiber optic transmission, you will know that there is virtaully no loss on those lines. This is not something that Verizon is doing just to stop line loss. They decided long ago that they were not going to worry about that. They cell companies killed home phones. This is the way that everyone is going to be going soon. It is a much more advanced, reliable, and profitable infastructure for Verizon. The customer will benifit from it. As far as the reps not knowing what they are talking about, that is with any company. There is such a high turnover rate in departments like that it is amazing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
That plan is obviously for households that do not have FiOS.

Ultimately, Verizon's plans are to offer all services to the home via a fiber connection. Those plans are supposed to include delivering Directv to the home (replacing the dish).
This is not right. Verizon is putting together their own packages and offering video service.

DirecTV is just to passify a customer looking for an all in one solution while they wait for fios to offer them their TV service

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm an Engineer for Verizon and what the technician told the OP is incorrect as others have stated. Please note that the technicians (for the most part) don't know anything about the business plans of the company. They are Union Employees with a specific job they carry out for 8 hours a day. They don't deviate from their responsibilities of the Contract. I'm not saying that they aren't good technicians, but if it doesn't have something to do with the job at hand, you may get bad information. Possibly the same goes for someone like me in Engineering. Verizon is such a big company, we have several hands that touch everything. So the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

DirecTV and Verizon have a marketing partnership. You can bundle DirecTV service when you order phone service through Verizon. Much the same as you can bundle Verizon DSL service when you call DirecTV to order their service. Verizon has Sales Reps trained (supposedly) in DirecTV service. This was before Video with FIOS (completely different). This was only a temporary means for Verizon Customers to receive video and a one bill option through the phone company. Once FIOS is more widespread, I would think the marketing partnership may go away, but I don't know.

Please note that I'm not downlplaying my company as I feel Verizon is a leader in their industry. All I'm saying is we are so big, and so many people help put the puzzle pieces together, it's very easy for an employee to give you incorrect information such as this. Or possibly, you misunderstood :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Finally words of wisdom. I didn't realise there was so much confusion about Verizons FIOS service...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice
This is not right. Verizon is putting together their own packages and offering video service.

DirecTV is just to passify a customer looking for an all in one solution while they wait for fios to offer them their TV service
Why is it not fair for Verizon to offer video?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Frankly I dont know how anyone could think Verizon would offer D* service by Fiber. That would be assinine. Who would want low picture quality over a high quality fiber line at a higher price? No way Verizon could offer it lower. Anyone that wanted D* could just pick up the phone and call them and get a dish attached to the house. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano
Anyone that wanted D* could just pick up the phone and call them and get a dish attached to the house. :rolleyes:
And for the Millions that don't have line of sight for a dish, but want the NFL Sunday ticket. Low picture quality over a high quality fiber line at a higher price maybe worth it.................................maybe ;)

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Just to add to the conversation.

Verizon is using DirectTV to keep its customers from becoming (or converting to) cable customers. If the cable company shares a customer with Verizon, then that company could entice them to switch over to their Voice over IP service with a bundling price package.

Verizon could not offer such a triple play bundle since they only offer Data (DSL) and Voice. But throw DirectTV into a partnership with Verizon and now they have their triple play package. This buys time for Verizon to get their FiOS fibers deployed. With only two cities (Keller TX & Herdon, VA) currently having FiOS TV available, Verizon is smart by taking this approach.

Once they do offer Video service over their FiOS system, then they want all that revenue for themselves. That is why you will never find DirectTV service carried over the fibers. Besides, DirectTV is already availble via DBS, why spend all that time and money just to co-locate it on a fiber? Not to serve those without a view of the southern sky thats for sure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
By the time fiber becomes more widespread in the next few years (ie 2010 and yes it will take that long for most Verizon customers to get fiber they will be planning to outbid DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket. I wouldn't be suprised if by 2010 all satellite and cable companies will have access to NFL Sunday Ticket including Verizon. Sunday Ticket alone at its price point just isn't keeping customers with DirecTV as it once did and that will only get worse between now and 2010 as Verizon and cable companies offer better picture quality for both SD and HD among other newer two-way services that satellite still won't be able to match yet.

I'm saying that on the next bid DirecTV cannot afford to overbid for it like they did this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.