AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it tv or cable?

I just bought a 5087w to replace my 13 year old Proscan 32". DVD's look great.

Cable TV:

Regular broadcast is hard to watch since its grainy, and a lot of artifacts are everywhere. Some premium non-hdtv channels look very good though even in stretched mode.

The 2 OTA HD channels I get look great.

This TV will be used 85% of the time for regular cable as I am not getting a hd cable box. I can't stand the pictures I am getting with regular cable. My old tv was 75% better in this case. Did I get a tv I should not have?

I can return it.

What should I do?

It's Time warner cable in Summerville SC.

What should I replace it with?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, I would say that if some of your SD channels look good while others don't, it's a problem with the source. Otherwise, if it were the tv, all your SD channels would look bad. With some SD channels looking good, the TV is showing you it's capable of displaying good SD PQ when the source is good.

I don't know how Time Warner Cable is set up, however it could be similar to my local Comcast Cable. In my area the first 69 channels are analog signals. The digital channels begin with channel 70. When shopping for my HDTV, I was able to watch analog SD channels via Comcast and found the picture to be very grainy and not enjoyable to watch. When we tuned to a digital channel above 69, the SD PQ became very good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a box. Just straight from the wall to the TV. I thought the box just gave me more channels like pay per view and all the other channels. Does not seem like there are many HD channels.

I got it because we needed a new TV and wanted good quality pictures when watching dvd's.

It looks like we only have about 8 HD channels in my area with a Time Warner cable box.

I'm in the Summerville area of this chart that has 3 channels. I can pay $6.95 more a month and get 5 more channels.

On the time warner cable site my zip code is 29485.

Am I looking at this wrong?

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
SD cable looks mediocre on every single HDTV. It's not the TV, but the signal. You just spent good money on an HDTV display. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to HD cable and start enjoying your new TV. On my Comcast HD cable, I get many HD channels, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, Comcast sports network, Discovery, INHD, TNT, among others, plus of course (for extra) all the premium movie channels.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by long4928 /forum/post/0

I don't have a box. Just straight from the wall to the TV. I thought the box just gave me more channels like pay per view and all the other channels. Does not seem like there are many HD channels.

I got it because we needed a new TV and wanted good quality pictures when watching dvd's.

It looks like we only have about 8 HD channels in my area with a Time Warner cable box.

I'm in the Summerville area of this chart that has 3 channels. I can pay $6.95 more a month and get 5 more channels.

On the time warner cable site my zip code is 29485.

Am I looking at this wrong?

you may want to look at dish network I live in Greensboro NC and that is who i am with. I had time warner but I dumped them, high price with no content
But with dish I get like 30 Hd channels. Just a thought

·
Registered
40 Posts
the problem with upgrading the vehicle and not the source is that you are stretching a picture that you used to watch on a 32" screen to a 50" screen without any change in the source. you are asking your set to take 150K pixels and scale it up to 2M (over 13x). Take a small image and scale it up 13x and you'll see that the result isn't so great either. (640x480/2 versus 1920x1080 - if my math or assumptions are wrong, please excuse me, however the idea remains the same)

Feed your set a 720 or 1080 source and you'll see a world of difference. you've already seen the difference between SD channels 480i and 480P... the more data you feed your set, the happier it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355FTS /forum/post/0

Kind of like saying i dont like how my new ferrari handles with snow tires.

You have a HD tv you need to watch HD sources.

more like putting a kia motor in a ferrari body

(no offense to Kia owners.... and if there are Kia owners on this thread, why did you buy a home theater combination more expensive than your car?!)

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 /forum/post/0

Well, it does seem sort of strange for one to purchase a HDTV if one does not plan to watch high definition content on it.

Do you at least have a digital box?

On the surface this statement seems okay ... HOWEVER ==> have you seen a large screen standard definition (4:3) TV lately ?? The reality is that if you need to replace a TV, and want a flat panel larger than about 19", or any screen larger than 32" (you can still get 32" SD CRTs) you don't have much choice ... you have to buy an HDTV. Give those market realities, it is not at all strange to be purchasing an HDTV even if you don't plan on using any HD sources.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can get SD channels to look good with some patience and experimentation. Try knocking your color way down, this is usually the source of "grain" in my experience. Use channels that look good to set your color to realistic levels with faces/grass/sky. I did this with mine, and now standard def programs look very good. Better than the 4:3 36" Panny CRT I had.

NOTE: I use the S-Video out on my STB and this made a noticable improvement with color over RF out. We don't have Hi-Def cable yet, so S-Video is the best connection I can use.

I have the HL-S5086W, try my settings:

Contrast: 30

Brightness: 58

Color: 18

Tint: 50/50

DNR: OFF

DNiE: OFF

Color Temp: NORMAL

These settings make 98% of my SD channels look very good. Some channels are simply too out of whack to help...on any TV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.