AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bose VCS-10 for my center channel and I am starting to think it has a flat sound. When I demo equipment and home theater stores, there center channel always seems to be for full and alive. Is it the fact that I don't have any external amp and that the center speaker is running off of receiver power (receiver is the JVC RX-6000, 100 Watts x5)? Or, is the Bose VCS-10 just not a very good performing center speaker? Any recommendations to get full, alive sound out of the center speaker, since that is where most of the action occurs?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure if there is an answer, but I have the vcs10 and I am still impressed with its clarity and the range it covers; I had at least 2 other centers prior to getting the 10 and neither could hold a candle to its performance. IMHO

·
Registered
194 Posts
I suspect the forum is holding back in an attempt to be kind. You will not find many on this forum who think the Bose speakers, any of them, sound very good.

If your speaker is starting to sound bad to you and you notice that other speakers sound much better then I think you are on the right path.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry, I can't make a recommendation as there are too many variables. I would recommend finding a speaker line that you find to be both an excellent value and that produces quality sound.

Recommending speakers is one area where you can get a tremendous variety of answers and not one of them may be wrong. Speakers are the most highly personal area of audio. But not to totally cop out on you, you might look into Paradigm speakers; they sound good (to my ear) and are reasonably priced. You will and should seek out a variety of alternatives and then work towards building a system of like speakers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
bergie33: When I read the subject of your thread, I thought to myself "the 10 sounds very flat to me". Then I read your impressions and thought Hmmmmm.

Anyway, take a look at the Atlantic Technology 273C center speaker. (It is also referred to as the 273 mC. There was an earlier version of the 273C that was updated to sound better over a wider horizontal viewing angle.) Be sure to look at the current model. http://www.atlantictechnology.com/at...270center.html

The 273C is an average sized unit that comes with it's own stand that allows you to tilt it to face the seating area. It has 2 toggle switches that allow a limited amount of bass and midrange control change. It also has a high frequency adjustment potentiometer for matching of the other 2 front speakers.

The 273C lists for $500 but can usually be bought for $400 or less.

·
Registered
275 Posts
bergie33,

Before I became a member of this forum, I too thought that Bose had good quality speakers, after getting informed and listening/comparing other speaker brands I realized how bad Boses really are.

I had encounter in the web, a document that talks about why Bose is so bad, and how Bose has developed a good reputation through marketting and advertising. Unfortunatly, the site is not accessable anymore (I've hear Bose's legal department likes to go after this type of sites), it had a long list of alternative good speaker brands in the same price range as Bose.

Just to name a few:

Definate Technology

NHT

Atlantic Technology

Infinity

Get a Home Theater Magazine, it has many speaker ads, in fact the current issue has a reasonable priced speaker system comparison.

Visit stores like Magnolia Hi-Fi, etc., and take your time. Another alternative is to buy used speakers, but first find out what you like.

Regards,

Carlos

·
Registered
732 Posts
Another underrated line is RBH. Their MC line is reasonably priced and use Aluminum drivers. www.rbhsound.com

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There are many lines of speakers that in my opinion have a more natural sound than Bose. But, may I recommend you replacing your front array of speakers (L,C and R) and not just the center channel. By matching the Timbre across the front you will acheive a more fluid and even sound as images (actually their sound) pan across the front.

Also, try putting the tweeters for your front array in the same vertical plane at about ear height when seated. Toe the left and right speaker towards your listening position, balance your speakers and have another listen to them. That is about the best you can do with Bose. I never recommend them to people but if you have them there are things you can do to improve the sound. I have set them up for customers and I must confess, they are difficult to listen to for very long (listening fatigue).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.