AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think in a backroom agreement the whole digital download has already been given the go ahead.

It'll make the pc more valuable than just the internet, and it'll push the idea that pc's are for everybody after the initial geeks finish their vanguard march.

That's my opinion, and the Oracle from the Matrix agrees with me in spirit I believe.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Sony has always been a proponent of digital distribution and in some sense, more than most other studios. The problem they have had has been one of execution. Digital Distribution requires extensive experience in software, services and user interface development -- skills that being a CE company doesn't provide....

·
Registered
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/14276904

Sony has always been a proponent of digital distribution and in some sense, more than most other studios. The problem they have had has been one of execution. Digital Distribution requires extensive experience in software, services and user interface development -- skills that being a CE company doesn't provide....

That wouldn't necessarily rule-out Sony as a content provider or middleman, would it?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi /forum/post/14277331

I don't know, but I heard that the pot in Honolulu is really great.

'ju mean 'maui wowie'?

we called it that back in the day. is it still?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith /forum/post/14277340

That wouldn't necessarily rule-out Sony as a content provider or middleman, would it?

The would love to be the first party. But failing that, then providing content to others also works although I am sure they hate it when they have to provide it to their competitors like Apple.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14277355

'ju mean 'maui wowie'?

we called it that back in the day. is it still?

Probably. It's been many a moon since I fired the ol' bong up. But I think the Oracle was putting a little in those cookies she was a baking too.

And last I can remember, wasn't there a section to discuss the video downloads? Not that it's that busy over there because that stuff isn't exactly getting on like a house on fire, but hey . . .

Oh look, here's a linky dinky to it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=184

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It seems everyone's racing to be the digital distribution center in our homes... Apple, Xbox 360, Netflix, Amazon, etc...

The thing I dont understand is...how do they plan on beating the cable companies? Some cable companies have on-demand channels that provide 300+ high def downloads. They own the bandwidth and they are already in our homes.... all they need to do to beat Apple and the rest is come out with a solution that's only 1/4th as good as anyone else's...hand out new boxes. With Apple, Netflix, etc, you have two devices... cable box and apple/netflix's box. With the cable company's solution, you only have one (not counting dvd/blu-ray player of course).

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I think of video downloads in much the same way as I think of the paperless office. One day it will happen but I don't think it is going to be soon. Personally I am not going to invest in video downloads until there is a widespread standard (not based on a single OS, game console, or service provider) which does not charge any kind of subscription fee and that guarantees long term ownership (at least 25 years). From where I am standing I have to wonder why some people trust the current video download services when the EULA for these services make no guarantee for how long you will be able to access the content. Of course the situation is different with rental/streaming services since long term ownership isn't an issue for them.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/14277723

I think of video downloads in much the same way as I think of the paperless office. One day it will happen but I don't think it is going to be soon. Personally I am not going to invest in video downloads until there is a widespread standard (not based on a single OS, game console, or service provider) which does not charge any kind of subscription fee and that guarantees long term ownership (at least 25 years).

Apple accomplished this for music with most of the limitations you say is not workable for you. They have a closed format and require that it only work with their devices. Yet, millions upon millions have bought iPods and bought music without that long term guarantee.

Why would video be different in this regard, especially considering that people want their music to be more permanent than video.

Quote:
From where I am standing I have to wonder why some people trust the current video download services when the EULA for these services make no guarantee for how long you will be able to access the content.

The computer you type on required some kind of EULA yet you are using it to post here
. I think when something does the job, people look the other way. Look at all the fine print for BD players wrt to firmware updates, bugs, etc.

Besides, if you talk to content owners, they do not at all think that you are entitled to something for 25 years. As such, they are not going to be in favor of such long term guarantees. They support new formats precisely to get you to upgrade every decade. VHS to DVD and now HD....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Moved.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My grandma has a hard enough time starting her DVD player. Now you want her to move to PC?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/14277909

My grandma has a hard enough time starting her DVD player. Now you want her to move to PC?

Does she use computer to send email?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/14277970

Does she use computer to send email?

MSNtv2

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith /forum/post/14280388

Amir,

What are the driving factors for how Xbox Live HD videos are encoded?

Hitting the sweet spot of bandwidth/quality. They need to keep the service profitable while at the same time, being on "HD" bandwagon.

Related to above, is automatic encoding as opposed to hand tuning done for optical formats. So good workflow is required to extract the best quality. Fortunately, digital distribution means less restrictions as far as codec parameters, allowing headroom that is not there with optical.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/14280510

MSNtv2

You have the same grandma?

Reason I asked is that many older people are realizing the benefits of complex technology and are adopting them. Email is one of the key scenarios.

I don't think we give them enough credit in being able to learn new things. If something is simple enough to garner mass adoption, it is also simple enough for majority of that population to use it too. Digital video today is not there for masses and hence, is not for older people either.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
At least based on my experience with Cox Video on Demand, they really need to improve their user interface. By comparison, Apple TV is really slick - and addictive!

With the PS3, Sony probably has the single best integrated media player on the market today. They can really exploit the platform with digital downloadable software of all kinds. In fact, the most recent statements from Howard Stringer clearly seem to indicate that Sony will take a more proactive role in network centric content.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts