AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some sort of Media PC/HTPC. Mainly for playback of DVD's.

I have read the threads on building and I am just not that PC savy.

I just read a review on the Alienware Hangar18. It seems like what I need,

but it's $ 2400.

What I would like from you all is a list of manufacturers and models of ready

to go Media pc's.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Building your own:

- saves a lot of money

- assures quality components

- follows proven configurations of folx on this forum

- is lotsa fun

Do reconsider.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I had never owned a computer in my life and a few months after buying my first one the capacitors started swelling up and oozing goop like an infected zombie. Been building my own ever since using like poster above said: Better components.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/12893678

I want to buy some sort of Media PC/HTPC. Mainly for playback of DVD's.

I have read the threads on building and I am just not that PC savy.

I just read a review on the Alienware Hangar18. It seems like what I need,

but it's $ 2400.

What I would like from you all is a list of manufacturers and models of ready

to go Media pc's.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

So, let me try and summarize the issue here.

- You don't want to build your own, because of various reasons (not computer savvy, just fed up with building it yourself, time constraints etc etc).

- You'd like a high quality system, built with standard parts (that may be upgraded in the future).

- It should be a "Media PC", which is different from just a regular PC in a horizontal case..

- You can go out and buy one right now, but the one's that look good and are quiet and have optimal media playback performance, are horrendously expensive.

Am I reading this correctly?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/12894240

So, let me try and summarize the issue here.

- You don't want to build your own, because of various reasons (not computer savvy, just fed up with building it yourself, time constraints etc etc).

* Yes.

- You'd like a high quality system, built with standard parts (that may be upgraded in the future).

* Yes.

- It should be a "Media PC", which is different from just a regular PC in a horizontal case..

* See this is what I dont understand. Is a HTPC just a PC? Is it just the software that makes it all work?

- You can go out and buy one right now, but the one's that look good and are quiet and have optimal media playback performance, are horrendously expensive.

* Again, I'm learning. Based on what I have read this one is expensive. If you guys tell me that this system will do what I want and it is priced right, I'll buy it.

Am I reading this correctly?

I understand that you can build for less money. What you don't get is somebody else's expertise. Buying allows me to have customer support. Continuing upgrades, ect.

You read similar post in the other forums all the time and I guess I was hoping this would be that simple. Ex: sub wanted for $ 500. People will answer with 5 or 6 specific models you can buy for that.

Again thanks for the inputs and I will check out the models recommended above.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The difference with HTPC's and subs, is that for most people, assembling their own PC is worlds easier than constructing their own sub. So many on this board likely don't even know specific models of pre-built HTPC's since they've always built their own.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It would be hard to find a pc that would not do a good job of playing standard DVD's. Just make sure they include a vid card with the appropriate connector for your tv. If you want HD DVD and Blu-Ray playback it will not be cheap. The drives alone are $300.00 and the hardware requirements are much steeper.

HTH

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
At the risk of being laughed at, the Gateway GM5664 performs pretty well for a decent cost ($1149). Quad Core Phenom, 3GB of RAM, 2400XT video card, looks and runs great with DVD/Blu-ray/HD-DVD.

Just gotta clean all the junk programs off it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an FYI. The Alienware Hangar-18 is on back order for 30 days.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Several members of this forum recommended HP Pavilion Slimline. The current model for the Intel platform is s3300t series , ~$600 without a discrete graphics (onboard video is enough for SD DVD).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/12904788

Several members of this forum recommended HP Pavilion Slimline. The current model for the Intel platform is s3300t series , ~$600 without a discrete graphics (onboard video is enough for SD DVD).

There's a

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/12907136

I just don't get why these companies don't make these in a desktop case. Who wants a tower mixed into their AV Equipment.

The HP can definitely be laid down on its side, and a few users have confirmed that it looks really good that way

·
Registered
65 Posts
I built my own pc for experince 6 years.. I want to buy the "pre-built" slim desktop pc for living room..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd buy HP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dumb question I know.. but if you want it for playback of DVDs, what's wrong with a standalone DVD player?
They're about $40 at the grocery store..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts