AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, time to come clean. I dropped my VP-12S1. It's a long story and I wont make excuses. I'm an idiot. Anyway, the unit fell about 5 feet, backwards and landed right on the lens. It "bent" the front element of the lens up a serious amount, about 1/4 inch. I couldn't bend it back by hand so I took a hammer and pounded it back.

It appears to be fine. Picture and focus are excellent. I can no longer use the lens shift dial (must move the lens manually and it slides out of position often) but generally functions OK. I did see a little flicker after the disaster, but last night, no flicker (had none before, perfect picture).

Marantz has me respect for building a more robust product than necessary, in my view.

Does anyone have a service manual for pulling it apart and connecting the lens shift? How long before I lose my lamp for the jolt?

Tim (the idiot dropper)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't know where are how you bought the Marantz but some credit cards have an insurance if you damage something you have purchased with it. Also, some home owners insurance have a provision for these same kind of accidents. There may even be more than I mentioned.

BTW, unless you are a verified service tech. for Marantz equip., according to Dan Miller, you can not get a service manual.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hey Tim get this. Last night I was installing my new Marantz in a ceiling mount that I made. For the last six weeks I have been using my dealers demo. Anyway I almost dropped the sucker. I mean it slipped off my right hand, but I had a good enough grip with my left arm underneath to prevent it from falling.

"..I took a hammer and pounded it back" -- that's great.

John Moschella

·
Registered
110 Posts
seem unusually heavy. When I was haning it on my cieling mount I thought I was going to drop it too. The Chief mounting bracket has a nice design where it allows you to hang the unit first without the need to tighten screws or bolts.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Tim,

You're not an idiot. You just had Murphy over while you were hanging the thing up (You know Murphy, inventor of Murphy's Law).

The same thing that happened to John, happened to me when I was putting mine up. But, just as FYTON2V pointed out, the Chief bracket saved my butt. It's definitely heavy, and in retrospect, a two-man job.

Kinda brings to mind the slang term:

"Dropped a few grand", literally :eek: !

Either way, by dropping it, you probably did away with some of the inherent problems the projector is having ;) .

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
332 Posts
This might help prevent some droppings :)

I'm trying to position my projector behind a wall where it has to be just right to project through the existing hole. I've taken various boxes that I have, I save most all of them from my audio/video equipment, and create a stack just the right height to try my projection distance/position. I can fine tune it with books and magazines. Once in the right position, I can measure exactly for the ceiling mount and permanently install it. Leaving the stack of stuff there until the mount is complete guarantees me that a clumsy move will probably result in a fall of just a few inches. If there's a concern later on about dropping the projector when removing it for cleaning or bulb-changing, rebuild the stack of boxes.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't bend it back by hand so I took a hammer and pounded it back.
Ok, first you drop it 5 feet and it lands on the lens and then you take a hammer and pound it back........and no problems!!!!! Man you are truly blessed.

Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the general suport. Here is what happened. I had the unit temporarily set up while waiting for my firehawk. I was using a daylight slide projector screen and had the Marantz sitting on a bar stool on top of my empty DVD box. While making new cables (Canare), I got crap all over the floor. Finished at 2AM and went to bed.

Got up the next morning and went down to vacuum beofre the ***** sees it (even thought the basement is "my area", and lifted the couch to vacuum underneath. The stool was next to the couch so when I lifted, I tipped the stool and could not dive and save the unit. Just watched it in slow motion .... timber!!!

My guess is I'm at least in for an early bulb replacement.

Tim

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TIm Homola

Got up the next morning and went down to vacuum beofre the ***** sees it (even thought the basement is "my area", and lifted the couch to vacuum underneath.

Tim
Tim,

Too bad your dog doesn't appreciate your home theater as much as you do :-(

Bernie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.