AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my sp7200 about a month ago and I have been more impressed with it every day! I had ordered a bravo d1 from all the reviews (I currently have panny rp 91). after playing with it enough times I did not think the d1 held an advantage over the panny (hell I made a small profit after selling it). Maybe my pj has a compatibility issue with the d1? either way I still prefer my rp91 an have yet to experience a better dvd player and I have seen a lot in my system:D

I will probalbly wait for the first hd dvd player to surface:D

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
ultra,

You must have something set wrong. Here's a post by Infocus's Bob Williams himself.
Quote:
From Bob Williams

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Bravo D1 looks very good through DVI into the ScreenPlay 7200 test unit I have in my lab. It produces the best looking DVD playback I have seen to date.

The Bravo D1 seems to output CCIR 601 standard video which only contains brightness values from 16 to 240 out of 255, and this is consistent with the mastering of the DVD so this is fine. However, to take advantage of the full contrast ratio of the projector both brightness and contrast need to be adjusted. You can do this by setting brightness to 44 and contrast to 55.

If you are comfortable with the advanced menus, then I suggest instead of using the brightness and contrast control that you use the color offsets and gains. The brightness and contrast controls for the DVI input operate in 8 bits, while the color controls operate in 10 bits. So for the ultimate performance, leave brightness and contrast at 50, 50, and set the color offsets to 39 and the color gains to 66. This should eliminate any contouring due to loss of bit depth
You just might want to send him a PM.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. The RP91 will do a much better job of deinterlacing than the Bravo for content recorded with a video camera (due to its on-board Faroudja chip), but for film-based DVDs I definitely prefer the Bravo over the Panasonic. For DVDs of movies I still have not seen any player with a better picture than the Bravo D1.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sorry Bob but RP91 does not have Faroudja but Genesis chipset (inferior at deinterlacing video sources than Faroudja). It's above average though. RP91 is nice in that it has a lot of tweaks, XY scaling, and a solidly built player. RP82, RP62 (earlier version without the B in the serial number), RP72 (5-disc changer version of RP82), RP67 (5-disc changer version of RP62), XP30 (fancier version of RP62), and XP50 (fancier version of RP82) all have Faroudja chip. The Panny RP82, RP72, XP30, XP50 have better MPEG chip for better 480i output and slighlty better 480p output than the other Faroudja Panny. Newer Panny does not have Faroudja any longer. Mitsubishi 8040 and Denon's still do but the Mits has mediocre MPEG chip so PQ will be worst than Denon or the older Pannies.

480p Faroudja will only go so far as it depends on PJ internal scaler. Infocus 7200 has an excellent scaler so that may be why you may not notice as much difference between 720p DVI from D1 and 480p component from RP91. However, if carefully A+B comparison of identical tittles and setup, you will notice DVI 720p being superior. Nothing beats matching your PJ native resolution for best PQ. DVI at native resolution is as good as it gets. HTPC and expensive outboard scalers which uses PC graphics cards of course being the gold standard. Bravo D1 has crappy build quality and barebone functionality, but has decent PQ due to its DVI being able to match 720p of 1280X720 or closely match 4:3 XGA PJ. With firmware upgrade you can actually match 4:3 XGA resolution. If you don't see the difference then 1) you do not have it setup correctly or 2) your PQ requirement may not be as strict as others on the forum. If you can't see the PQ difference then RP91 will definitely beat D1 in build quality, looks, and features.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Just in case anyone is wondering,

The reason the RP91 uses the Genesis chipset instead of the Faroudja for deinterlacing is bcs the Genesis chipset also incorporates some scaling/aspect-ratio adjustment features...enabling the DVD player to pillarbox 1.33:1 material in 16x9 *and* "zoom" 4x3 lbxed material for 16x9. This is a great feature for those of us with displays that lock into 16x9-full mode with 480P signals.

The Faroudja chipset, with all it's great deinterlacing, does not provide any such aspect-ratio adjustment features.

Ok...back to talking about Bravo and DVI. Glad to hear the Bob thinks it makes such an improvement with film-based material!

-dave :)

p.s. the Bravo also allows for aspect-ratio control just like the Panny RP91, but the Samsung DVI player does *NOT*.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
ultra,

You must have something set wrong.
You can say that again! Ultra must DEFINITELY have set something wrong. There is no other explanation for his observation. Well, maybe one other explantion: that his PQ requirements don't match the levels of other members. Another poster already mentioned this possibility.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So where were you guys when I was asking for help when I first got the d1?:D

thats ok with the speed of technology I am sure a d2 will be out soon enough, until then Ill enjoy my rp91.

thanks guys, Bob

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
"I am sure a d2 will be out soon"

Right... but there's a possibility the D next gen will have some of it's super one of a kind capabilities removed.

Go stand in the corner until you mend your way's:) or buy another one quick.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
We were comparing various DVD Players the other night with Ultra 150 pilot and my business partner. My partner and I are custom installers and ISF techs and here are our observations. We tried the D1, RP91, older RV80 for fun, Denon 1600P and Toshiba SD 9200 with the following PJ's 7200, 5700, Panny 300, Piano 3100.

The D1 with DVI definitely outperformed the other players. However the differences between the RP91 and the D1 were not stellar on the 7200. On every other PJ the D1 beat the other players hand down. On the 7200 you could definitely see an improvement when showing a resolution pattern from AVIA or VE. But, the colors were very similar and the D1 didn't look as crisp on the 7200. Which was surprising because on test patterns it could resolve more resolution but the lines did not appear as crisp.

We have played with various setting on both the D1 and the 7200. We also tried custom settings sent to us by Vinc for 1280x720 compared to the standard 720P setting. Ultra felt that the differences/ tradeoffs between the two were not enough to justify keeping it. We also made sure the 7200 had the latest firmware.

The D1 showed clear advantage over the RP-91 with the 5700. This might show that there is a glitch in the 7200 or maybe Ultra's 7200. But, I know we did not set this up incorrectly and Vinc was very helpful with custom settings. Three sets of eyes all saw the same thing.

BTW, Piano and Panny 300 owners should really consider the D1 because the differences on these 2 PJ's was a HUGE improvement over the other players.

Just my .02

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The D1 show's well with the res pattern and I would think that would tell much of what's needed to know. DVD's may look "softer" than the other player('s) because there isn't any "edge enhancement" added by the D1.

Maybe even cert ISF guy's crave a little EE. :)

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
The D1 looks "softer" even with resolution patterns it just resolves more resolution. Again this was only on the 7200. I don't know if EE was added to AVIA, VE, S&V or DVE but I doubt it.

I find it interesting that people do not respect other peoples' findings and look only to ridicule them instead of trying to offer solutions on how to possibly correct or avoid a problem. Which is what I thought these forums were all about.

Bob

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
I am very happy with my D1's PQ. However it has many annoying quirks (not specific to my unit, but all units) that leave me looking forward to another player such as the D2 which may not have these same issues.

Many of my complaints are specific to operating the unit. If anyone wants me to elaborate let me know.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Bob how does the D1 compare to a properly setup HTPC via DVI?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
Bob how does the D1 compare to a properly setup HTPC via DVI?
It's cheaper and quicker.

BB

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I had played with my PC's DVI output (ATI 9500 Pro w/ Athlon 2700 1g ram) with the Piano and Panny a while ago. It gave a good picture but I had no intention of trying to configure the HTPC with my remote (MX-700) and really use it as part of my HT. I haven't directly compared them but I am quite impressed with the D1's PQ and ability to put in custom settings. I don't remember the improvement being as good as the D1 but it was a while ago.

Bob

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I was only asking about PQ, as I have a HTPC which is tweaked and using theatertek. I do not want to go out and buy a D1 if there is no improvement or worse than my HTPC.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Sorry, forgot a smiley.

Can't imagine why a D1 would be better than a properly configured HTPC. I think you probably have it as good as it's going to get with what you have.

The few PC/D1 comparisons I seen posted gave a very slight edge to PCs. Maybe not worth the price/trouble difference, but you already did all that, so not relevant for your question.

BB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.