AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm virtually a "regular" here now and I have a newbie-type question. What to buy...

My dad's tv just went out and I don't have the 3 months to research what to recommend like I agonized before buying my 503cmx.

= It's going in a built in cabinet so he can't do more than 43 inch.

= The viewing distance is about 15 feet, by my guess.

= He's going to keep it for its entire life, or his, whichever ends first.

= Price is not much of an issue.

= He'd prefer to buy from a store than over the internet (though I may try to work on him some more on this)

= He doesn't like the Elite's big black bezel.

I've been focused on HD, as that's what I've got and he'll have this a long time. Is DVI going to matter if he never orders PPV? My tendancy is usually better safe than sorry.

But... is an HD 43 inch at 15 feet even worth it or should we go with an EDTV?

So it seems to me, if HD, Fujitsu's got p42hha10ws which I haven't seen much about. Is this an ALIS panel? I saw a gorgeous 42 inch F next to the Elite but I didn't notice if it was the 4242 or this new one. Or, there's the 433cmx that JakeE knows is the best plasma on the planet. Can't wait for the new Pannys :(

If ED, Panny's a no brainer AFAIK.

I'd love to hear some input. I'm tired, my computer keeps crashing, I'm due to have a baby in 3 days (my fourth) and I can't think straight.

·
Registered
967 Posts
When dealing with parents, chances are YOU will end up doing all the work. I would suggest staying with the Pioneer line if you already own one. I am sure that, by now, you know everything about your set by heart, and can describe menus and procedures over the phone, without even turning your set on.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
430 Posts
turt

Perhaps you could get your dad a 42 or 43 inch plasma and add an articulating mount that will allow you to move the plasma up to 30 inches closer if he desires. In effect making the plasma the equivalent of your 50.

Congrats on the birth of your next child.

Jake

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Father-in-law is loosing his sight. One unexpected side benefits of our 50" plasma is he can see it better than his 30" CRT.

On the downside, don't forget the ergonomics issues.

Most folks (older or not) just want a TV set,

not a complex home theatre system with a dozen remotes.

So I would recommend considering a display with a built-in tuner. (This coming from someone who regularly rants about the fact that all the plasmas built-in tuners are NTSC, not ATSC.)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points from all.

Sixsevans,

He's already used to the cable box and is fairly technically savvy so I'm not too worried about the tuner.

JakeE,

I like the articulating mount possibility to angle the tv towards the kitchen, and even moving it closer to the viewer if needed. Could an articulating mount really get it 30 inches closer? That's a lot!

Shedrock,

I "let" him buy an imac instead of a pc. I can't tell you how many times I said "I can't really help you over the phone because I'm not familiar with it." Hopefully I won't be having to do too much tech support on the tv like I've done with the mac. But I know what you mean. I can picture him calling me up: "The receiver's on, the cable box is on and the tv's on but I can only see a blue screen"

I'm going out right now to buy/shop/explain more.

But the biggest question remains unanswered. At what viewing distance is HDTV vs. EDTV negligible for a 43 incher?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went with the Fujitsu I mentioned in the original post. It looked beautiful, beating the Elite next to it (though the contrast and color was clearly pushed way too high on the F). The local B&M did negotiate price more than I expected. It will be delivered next week. Dad went with table top stand for now. :)

I never thought I'd see the day where my dad had a better tv than me.

Now he just needs a dvd player :p

(No he doesn't have HD signal or DVD... yet)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.