AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I don't know anything about Tvs but I've had my Sammy hlp5053 for about 3 months now. Intially, I purchased the HD receiver for D* (i currently have D* with a Sd Hughes receiver with only an S cable, no HDMI or VMI). After reading about the Mpeg4 conversion, I decided to return the HD receiver and wait until the new hardware comes out. Now in the meantime, I'm stuck watching SD through D*connected through my S cable. I've read about all the tweaks to do in the SM but I'm afraid, very afraid, that I'll screw it all to hell if I go in there. The TV looks ok to me(only a little better than my old bigscreen rear pro TV). But I feel like I've spent all this money on a nice TV and not getting it's full potential out of it. I don't think there is any ISF techs down here to calibrate my TV(houston, TX). Any advice that is not scary to do to get more out of my TV until I get the new HD receiver. Any simple advice? Thank you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There's an ISF locator service on the ISF website at the link below. Several for Houston are listed.

Link

·
Registered
307 Posts
SD is SD...not much a calibration can do for poor signal. While I waited for my HD to be installed I watched seasons of shows from netflix...Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Etc. DVD picture quality was good enough till the real thing got there. I was like you (and still am) I cant watch garbage pictures...call it spoiled (my wife does)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Just get your HD back. Why cancel it and go back to SD? Wait, you have buy the equipment...

Can you get Comcast where you are? You can upgrade to get an HD receiver box for an extra $7 a month, and upgrade that to an HD-DVR for another $5. If anything goes wrong with it, you can just exchange it for another one.

Then, if/when D* gets mpeg4, you can cancel Comcast and switch back over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UMR- would calibration on my TV help no matter what I am watching or would it benefit me only when watching HD? Basically would it be money well spent watching SD?

Chris- are u sure that D* will replace ur current box with the new mpeg4 hardware when that comes out at THEIR cost? As far as all I've read, that still hasn't been determined.

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
xplyboy,

It is difficult to say how much of an improvement will be made on any particular set sight unseen. Definitely, there are improvements from calibration beyond HD. Samsung is not the best at handling analog inputs so I would not be too optimistic about those having performance that matches other sets. Calibration should improve the gray scale performance, levels and reduce enhancements. How much that improves the set is a function of how far off it is currently. I would expect a significant improvement and not zero, but whether it is worth it is your call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.