·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ken:

Looks nice! I emailed you about getting one of these last January, but you never replied, so I got a WinTV card instead.

What's your source in these shots? Do you have any "before mod" pictures, or pictures from another standard card (like mine), for comparison purposes?

- Dave

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
believe it or not, paul..it just arrived today!

Dave:

RCA 5220 DVD player, with the standard (non-superbit!)Fifth DVD. Machine is slightly modified... the DVD player, I mean. i mildly massauged it's output, just a bit.. for improved performance. so, it moved up into the kilo-buck player image quality (before progressive) on s-video.

What I mean by 'transposed', is that they where .tiff format files, tnem converted to .bmp files, then converted to jpg files at 100%, then these files where dropped to 95k (approx.) 95% quality files.

So, the origianl .tiff files are very, very good looking. and, no special attention was paid to the Dscaler settings,and no special attention was paid to the s-video cabling. Just junky average s-video cable was used.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ken:

Well, as I said, the pictures look excellent. I'm wishing you had gotten back to me before, so I could have gotten one of those babies. What happened? Did you stop producing them for a while?

Anyway, even though those pics look great, it's hard to tell how much the card is contributing to the image quality w/o a side by side comparison. I hope it isn't too much of a PITA for you to do, but having the same shots, done with a WinTV or another popular card, would be great for those interested in how much diff your card makes.

And, are those pics screen captures or are they digital photos? I assumed photos, but I'm not sure.

- Dave

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They where originally captures from dscaler, one of the earlier versions, 2.3 I believe. Straight capture from the input. (s-video). Non-superbit DVD in use.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ken-

What are you currently charging for your modded card and what's the lead time?

Thanks,

Kirk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Kirk ; I guess it's now years since we asked Ken to do a web page explaining what his mod is all about, screenshots, price, a small FAQ ...

I honestly don't know now what we've left to make him do such a page ;)

Anyway, thanks Ken. I remember a couple Li On's shots now 2 years ago that made me think "Wow ! gosh, this works !".

Such screenshots are helpful to motivate people and show new ones how good that htpc scaling solution can be.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shameless bump^.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have my panasonic RP56 DVD player..and am looking at it's innards in detail. I want to do a parallel to parallel conversion to the Zoltrix card, if at all possible. Trying to find the teck manual for the Sage FLI 2200 chip in there, is almost impossible. Also, I believe the chip does line doubled RGBHV.. I hope I can get it to do that instead of the RETARDED, BACKWARDS thinking component video *#&**#! that companies seem to be pushing istead of the more proper and useful RGBHV format.

Anyone know where I can get a tech manual for this chip?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was looking for, sort of. What I needed to know to start, was the output formats the fl2200 was capable of. The Conexant chip can handle CCIR656 video format, and the Sage chip can output CCIR656 format video. So.. It may be possible to run these units parallel-to-parallel(digital video feed). So, package a modified (for standard use) RP-56 progressive scanning DVD player, with modified Zoltrix card, for a reasonable price. This way you have what you need, without the extra SDI hassle. The transmission distance of the parallel data is limited, but I feel it will easily reach the 1 meter (three foot) range. So, the DVD player might have to be close to the HTPC, but that's not a real problem for most folks. So, they might be able to buy a DVD player and Zoltrix card from me for about $550 or so,and have what they want. Digital throughput outboard DVD(with modified output stage so the analog function is significantly improved in video quality), and the best of analog input cards as well. I just need that sage tech manual, then, I'm almost done. I know the rest...

There is no reason the mod cannot be retro fitted on any of the cards I have already sold, as well. If many of the devices in question output CCIR656 digital data format.. like most appear to, then there is no reason that they cannot be simply converted as well. No signal cable long-run capacity, but who really needs that anyway?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK

.... That the analog capture card of choice should be represented as well. Not only does it look good here.. it easily stands up to useage with front projection. Shots are at 95% quality, and are noticably below in quality to what you would get. They have been transposed 3 times.

ok. . . I compltely missed something here. . . What is this about??? What analog capture card are we talking about here?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The unspoken part is that the images are from my modified Zoltrix Video capture card that I sell to folks. As I say in the lit. that I send out to people upon request.." usually I look at a item, figure out it's design flaws.. fix them, and use it for myself. I make one copy, and then move on.. In this case, I decided to make it available to others, for once."

The facts of the matter are that the stock Zoltrix card is not very good, at all. But, it has a decent layout, except for a few flaws in the design. I fix those, and improve the rest, in a significant fashion. The work is fairly extensive, and covers all bases. As for switching to a different card, it would probably not look any better than the Zoltrix does now (in it's modified form). So, why bother switching cards? The Zoltrix card has the advantage of having almost all the pins required for a digital feed mod already on the board design. This is the missing port on the board design, right between the remote control port connector,and the Conexant chip. you can see the traces run under the small chip on the board. That chip is the eeprom that holds the card identification data, which I had previously mis-labled as a outboard clock. The infection of the chroma input for the S-video was (and is) so severe, that I thought it HAD to be a clock. I was fooled by the fact that I was trying to track down the chip and came across a small 8-pin clock chip in the Digikey catalog, that has the same number descriptive. When I pulled the chip, and corrected the grounding around it, most of the vertical line noise went away. So, I assumed, and it was wrong. Slightly embarrassing, but such is life.

The digital video port on the card may need to have a few more lines put in, like a beginning/end, or send/end connection cable of some sort (two extra lines) as well as a clock signal for the external input, but I very much suspect that's about it. I don't think that ANY other video capture card is properly ported either. I just accidentally managed to be using a capture card that is nearly perfect for this application. Not quite, but close enough to be reasonably workable.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
So, they might be able to buy a DVD player and Zoltrix card from me for about $550 or so,and have what they want.
If I have 1 more software DVD hiccup in front of guests, I may take you up on that. One thing though, isn't the RP56 a victim of the chroma bug? Or would you be able to compensate for that in your mods?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
ken,

for those of us that are fortunate enough to have received your modified tuner boards and still drool, are you working toward adding an SDI port or a different method for accessing the digital feed?

those images you posted are sweet.

rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.