AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait, finally received my Samsung T165. I have it hooked up to the JVC 30000 for the sole purpose of recording OTA Hi-def. My only connections from the T165 are the antenna in, Firewire to the JVC and a composite video connection to my display so I can see the Samsung menu.

Besides the clock issue, which has been discussed extensively, my biggest single disappointment is the receiver's dismal signal strength, as compared with my Sony HD200's receiver, which is excellent. For example, an OTA station which almost "pins the needle" as good on the scale of the HD200, shows only half strength on the T165. A signal that is "normal" on the HD200, which is mid scale, is weak on the T165 and consequently pixelizes often on the T165. That's quite disheartening, particularly for receiving some of the marginal stations which I've been pleased with their reception on the HD200. I've tried the obvious, which is to changeout the RG6, with no improvement. Wondering if anyone else has poor reception on the T165?

Another problem I'm having is that on "scheduled events" set on the T165 guide menu, it tunes to the station fine, turns on the JVC 30000, but does not always begin the record process. It is intermittent and I haven't quite figured out what's going on here. Any comments would be appreciated.

The only saving grace at this point, is that the dealer I bought the T165 from, had promised to ship overnight. When he discovered that he shipped ground in error, he sent me another unit overnight, and I am to return the ground shipped T165 when it arrives next week. I will have the opportunity to try the second receiver and see if it performs the same as the one I currently have, before I return it, although I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With all due respect Ron,

I have had both the DTC 100 and the HD 100 unit. I do no think the HD100 is giving a accurate signal strength. I noticed the same thing with the RCA DTC 100 as you are noticing with your OTA tuner. The RCA would have 50-60 on the meter and the Sony would be pegged at 95. I ask this: Why at 95 would you get breakup? I think it is because your not truly getting 95 but more accurately problably 50-60. Anyone else notice a huge jump with their HD100 signal strength?

Blade99d

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Signal meters between different boxes don't measure the same thing. Some measure actual strength (amplitude), some measure error rate, some measure a combination of signal strength and errror rate.

You can't compare the different readings.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blade:

I was comparing the T165 with the HD200, not the HD100. The HD200 doesn't have a numeric signal meter, just a relative strength scale, unlike the HD100. I previously owned the HD100 and found the the HD200 does a much better job of receiving OTA signals than the HD100. Having had both receivers, my personal experience is that the T165 is the worst of the three.

Perhaps I have a bum unit. I it's as easy as that.

Ron

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCKessler:

Irrespective of what the signal meter measures, the T165 can not hold a signal as well as the HD200.

Ron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ron

I think youre right my signal on the 165 is only half compare to my Mits. HD400 and the RCA 100 witch both read 100 (max)

but I still get all the channels though.

If you get all the channels I would not worry about it.

One thing is annoying with me it's you can't tune in the digital channels manually I can't find a dash(-) like 7-1.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tommy:

Perhaps you're right about the indicator, however I still get breakup on the T165 where I don't get it on the HD200. Also, I find it hard to acquire marginal signals. You have to try to manually add a digital station, and just keep on trying and trying until it finally finds it. That addresses your point of not being able to tune to a station manually.

The failure to start recording is baffling. I'm trying to figure out what I am failing to set when trying to "reserve" a program. I'll try to set it up for Leno tonight and see what happens.

By the way, Tommy, which station's clock do you rely on?

Ron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ron

I had the same problem then I read the fine writing notes in the manual.

When you reserve a program you have to have the unit off at least for

3 minutes and then it turns it's self on and the JVC and starts recording.

I recorded a few programs already I really did not have any clock issues

with the Tampa stations

Tommy

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ron:

Do you have a lot of multipath where you live? You can tell by looking at the analog channels.

How far are you from the xmitters?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cymro:

No multipath problems around here. Transmitters are between 30 and 70 miles in all flat terrain. For the one 70 miles away, I'm using a separate antenna pointed at its directions. The others are all about due North from here.

Tommy:

Where's the fine print you are referring to about having the unit off for 3 minutes. I saw 1 minute. At about 8.50 PM I set it up to record Drew Caray at 9 PM. When the time came, the T165 turned on, the JVC turned on, but it never started to record. I have no bloody idea why. Fortunately, since I really did want to tape the show, I manually started it about a minute later. Any ideas, or do I have a defective T165 or JVC30000. It's wonderful trying to diagnose a problem with two separate products by two separate manufacturers.

Ron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ron

Was that show Digital or analog? because I had the same problem.

on analog I can't record either.

I basically just scanned the manual I guess I have to go back and read it

more carefully.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ron:

Thanks for your prompt response.

It certainly appears that your Samsung is less sensitive than the Sony. As to multipath rejection, I'm expecting a 165 soon and I'll be able to compare it with a DTC100. I live in an area with particularly strong multipath. I'm about 33 miles from the xmitters, but I had to use horizontally stacked Blake JBX21WB antennas to get reception.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tommy:

The show I mentioned was digital, hi-def, with 5.1 audio. I got nothing. I believe that some of my problems have to do with using the same tape over and over without erasing. I believe I read in one of the threads that using a bulk eraser to clean the tape is necessary before reusing. Are you recording over and over on the same tape? Years ago I had a Radio Shack bulk eraser that I probably got rid of when I thought I was no longer into VHS or cassette tapes. Guess I'll have to buy another one.

Ron

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm using JVC DVHS DF300. It was blank the first time I used it, but I'm re-recording over previously recorded material. That may be part of my problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No that should not be the problem I also recorded over a couple times on the same tape.

If I were you I'll wait for the other one to come, and try that one out and see.

good luck and let me know

Tommy

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But is it the Samsung or the JVC that is the culprit? Hard to tell. When I manually recorded the above mentioned show, all I got was noise on the tape, however the firewire was passing the material to the recorder just fine, because I was able to monitor it from the component output of the JVC. Maybe I have a recorder problem. I'll be able to narrow it down alot better when I get the new receiver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Heads on the JVC are clogged. I had that problem after testing an S-VHS tape to record in S-VHS. Get the D-VHS head cleaner from JVC.

James Daniel Bishop

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
For all the reasons discussed here and elsewhere I am very disappointed in the 165. Being first it seemed to promise so much.

I have two additional units in the unopened boxes that I am going to sell. Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I also was disappointed with the 165 for other various reasons. Mine is packed and ready for shipment back to Crutchfield after the holiday weekend and I'm going to give the Zenith HDV420 a whirl. I know you can't record with the Zenith, but at this point I'd just like a clear picture.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.