AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

I Finally got "WOWED"

4400 Views 22 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  SCHNEEDOO
I'm pretty much of a lurker here but this experience was just too impressive not to share.

And I hope I posted this in the correct place.

Very lucky coincidence when my new Mirage Omni 350's and "Elizabeth" (Cate Blanchette) on HD DVD were delivered last Friday. Hooked up the Omni's, ran the set up on my Onkyo 705 I have set up for 7.1 (350's in the front).

I never saw the movie before, I never listened to anything in 'True HD' and let me just say that I FINALLY saw and heard what I expected from HD DVD and the recent audio codecs.

The sound was just so realistic and detailed, I was TOTALLY blown away. The scenes with the thunder and lightening made me jump which is just not what happens when I watch a movie. It sounded just too real. Lot's of music as part of the soundtrack and if you like classical, you'll really get into this one.

I kow the movie is ten years old but the photography is stunning most of the way through and so is the soundtrack.

I's posting this because I have an Oppo 981 and I must say that it does a very good job upconverting and I've been satisfied with every movie I've played with it. This time, the overal picture and sound quality was unmistakabley superior in every way. Colors were vibrant and the picture details just popped off the screen. Same thing for the ausdio, highly detailed and rich beyond what I thought was possible.

I understand now.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
There's a lot more WOWs where that came from.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid101 /forum/post/12816927

Welcome to the club! Expect many more wows!

Watch Bladerunner on HD-DVD in TrueHD. At THX reference it is amazing
See less See more
Bourne Ultimatum and Transformers = WOW too.
See less See more
BU was really good, but no wow for me. Sound track was great but pic had no "pop". I am a died in the wool Blade Runner fan. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll have to pick it up.

Thanks for all of the WOW welcomes guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann /forum/post/12816785

I'm pretty much of a lurker here but this experience was just too impressive not to share.

And I hope I posted this in the correct place.

Very lucky coincidence when my new Mirage Omni 350's and "Elizabeth" (Cate Blanchette) on HD DVD were delivered last Friday. Hooked up the Omni's, ran the set up on my Onkyo 705 I have set up for 7.1 (350's in the front).

I never saw the movie before, I never listened to anything in 'True HD' and let me just say that I FINALLY saw and heard what I expected from HD DVD and the recent audio codecs.

The sound was just so realistic and detailed, I was TOTALLY blown away. The scenes with the thunder and lightening made me jump which is just not what happens when I watch a movie. It sounded just too real. Lot's of music as part of the soundtrack and if you like classical, you'll really get into this one.

I kow the movie is ten years old but the photography is stunning most of the way through and so is the soundtrack.

I's posting this because I have an Oppo 981 and I must say that it does a very good job upconverting and I've been satisfied with every movie I've played with it. This time, the overal picture and sound quality was unmistakabley superior in every way. Colors were vibrant and the picture details just popped off the screen. Same thing for the ausdio, highly detailed and rich beyond what I thought was possible.

I understand now.

I never cared about this movie myself, but I rented it a couple of weeks ago from Netflix. it's the closest I have been to the theater experience in my home theater. I hope blu ray movies will look close to this in the future being things what they are now.
Elizabeth is VERY good looking. Better than MOST out there.

Sound is also quite good.
Is this the first one or the sequel, I think there are 2 elizabeth movies with cate blanchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo /forum/post/12825448

Elizabeth is VERY good looking. Better than MOST out there.

Sound is also quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney /forum/post/12826956

Is this the first one or the sequel, I think there are 2 elizabeth movies with cate blanchet

Good question - the 1998 or the 2006 movie?
"Elizabeth" is the 1st one from 1998. The sequal is called "Elizabeth, The Golden Age" also with Cate Blanchette. The disc comes out February 5th and that's really what made me order "Elizabeth" from Netflix like an earlier poster did. I wanted to see the original so I'd be all caught up for the sequal next month.

Blind luck, this is one of THE BEST movies I've seen and I've seen a lot over the years. For my tastes, is has everything. Great story line, realistic drama, a sense of history, GREAT photography, GREAT sound. I actually thought it may turn out to be a 'chick flick' but far from it.

I hope the sequel is half as good but given the much lowered 'buzz' factor compared to the 1st one, I'm not sure how good it's going to be. I'm going to get it anyway FWIW.
True HD is "True" HD, glad you found the treasure that is HD DVD. Try Phantom of the opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12829799

True HD is "True" HD, glad you found the treasure that is HD DVD. Try Phantom of the opera.

I have been comparing HD-dvd to Blu-ray for the last couple of weeks including Phantom of the opera. Using the same tittles On my 138" screen I have found that HD-dvd delivers a more solid picture which looks more transparent, especially dark scenes. Things are what they are though.
See less See more
I have to agree with OP, this was a blind buy for me, and on top of that I got it for free at one of those Bogo's at CC. They had mess my purchased all up, after I realized they never took that copy in to account.Something that it was suppose to be on the shelves and not in the system..blah,blah,blah...I complained,and complained they did some adjustments, and BLAMO! FREE!

Awesome flick, now I have to see it with my system in the mix... Pre/pro is in the shop..

DJoel
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/12817772

Bourne Ultimatum and Transformers = WOW too.

He's talking about audio. I wouldn't try to wow anyone I know with the Transformers audio track.

I haven't heard BU but the TrueHD track is a good start, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda /forum/post/12838012

He's talking about audio. I wouldn't try to wow anyone I know with the Transformers audio track.

please don't start that here, Pony up and buy a better sound system then. Because that movie sounded friggen Great in my theater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12829799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan /forum/post/12838647

please don't start that here, Pony up and buy a better sound system then. Because that movie sounded friggen Great in my theater!

I agree. exellent sound, and deep punchy bass.
Oh and by the way, those Mirage Omni 350's are so AWESOME. Now I'm goig back and listening to some of my CD collection through the Oppo. (Whew. I might have to spring for some OMD 15s).

I know this is the disc player forum but I have to say that for $300/pair, those 350's are CRAZY good !

And for the poster who received the disc 'in error', it's like found money man when something really good just falls into your lap. I mean I wasn't even going to pay it that much attention. Put it i the A3 and was futzing aroudn online, for about 10 minutes and the story and presentation just grabbed me. Had to dim the lights and focus full attenion of skipping back to the beginning.
HD DVD offer plenty of WOWs..Check out Harry Potter movies as well and Batman Begins. Warner has done a fantastic with these movies and the IME are outstanding. IME really take you into the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda /forum/post/12838012

When I show friends Transformers on HD DVD, the first thing they comment on is the great picture. The next thing they comment on is how incredible it sounds. Yes, the audio on Transformers is quite impressive imo.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.