AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally! I have two of the 4080's and what a difference it has made. What I am referring to is being able to watch a show that has been recorded on either unit on the other unit. (Networked of course.) If it is recorded on unit A...I can watch it on unit B and vice versa.

Now I know this is not new news...But it is something I am finely able to do and I JUST LOVE IT! (Seeing we had one in our family room and one in the masterbed room.)

I just had to say that.

(I now have 2 - 4080 and 3 of the others (forget which model -2040 & 2020 I think.)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I second that. I have 2 4040s upgraded to 4320s and the ability to share shows between the 2 are great. It's like having 2 tuners on each of the 4000s. I can record 2 shows simultaneously and jump from one to the other live with relative ease. Now I don't have to get a second digital cable box for upstairs which saves me $15 per month. Now, if I can get 70 months of use, it will pay for itself.

The response is a little slower over the network and you really need to use a full duplex 100mbps switch. You can buy one of those now for less than $40.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I thought this would be a great feature when I got my two 4000s, and since I've had them, I've grown so used to using the inter-room streaming, that it's jarring whenever I use the 3030.

It really has turned out to be one of the killer features for me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yup, inter-room networking and CA make the 4000's the best toys in the cabinet since I got'em. They really did and still do exceed my expectations. Network Video Extraction and the Photo Viewer are also killer apps as well!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I find that, occassionally, one of the Replays will "lose" the other one for a few hours. Any idea why this happens?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I can't tell you what is happening, but I found that the easiest way to fix this is to fire up Replayer. If it already knows the IP addresses of the two units, Replayer will make them send out their "I'm here" response and the two Replays will see each other again. I prefer that over rebooting the units (which is the only other fix I have found).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Odd, when mine loose touch (about every 2 weeks or so, pretty consistant) I find that Replayer can't see them either. I use Replayer just for the purpose of quick checking that everyone is on-line. I have only found soft-booting (and a several minute wait afterwards) to be able to restore communications. And they are all on static IP's tied to MAC Addresses...

The rude way to find out that comm's have died is to be all comfy somewhere, try to net-stream, and get the "unable to connect at this time" message.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is it possible to ping the boxes from a command line? The TCP/IP stack seems to die periodically -- one sign is a message saying it failed to connect, another is it not finding other replays/swapdvs on the network. If you go into the network settings menu and follow the prompts to the point where it tests the connection to replay's server, it should restart the networking stack and you'll be good for another couple weeks (btw -- you may need to change a setting in the networking screen -- I'm not sure).

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
For me, streaming to two units is useless. I won't be putting the units in the rooms anyway, because I won't put up with the hard drive sound!

So I put all of them in the basement and send the IR signal down there, and pick up the video signal via coax to the TV's. (Big TV currently uses S-Video switcher)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats David...

This is a underpromoted feature... I love the streaming between the units, it's a must have for us! Also, 80 hrs per unit seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
For me, streaming to two units is useless. I won't be putting the units in the rooms anyway, because I won't put up with the hard drive sound!

Oh and RandyL712... I suppose you'll just use dial-up cause it's too taxing to run cat5e? Actually you're in for a surprise... the new ones have great acoustic isolation... you'll be hard pressed to hear the drives.

Of course that might depend on what you attempt for a "drive 2" bracket? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am setting up a second MyReplayTV account for my new 4000 unit. Its was a long shot but it does not seem possible to have one MyReplayTV account for multiple machines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.