AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months (years?) trolling this forum, and procrastinating selling my beloved behemoth CRT projector, I finally put the CRT up for sale. When I got an email from a buyer, that light the proverbial fire under my seat, and forced me to hurry up and make a decision.

I had also considered the Optoma 7100, and was also hoping that the HD73 would show up soon. I would have liked the Mits 3000 or 1000, but their lenses would not have worked in my room. Even the HD73 would have been a tight fit.

I also considered the Sharp Z3000, but did not want to use a drop tube.

I know that lots of people have already posted on the AX100. But let me just say that I am quite impressed with it so far. And realize that I am coming from the CRT world. I haven't done a full calibration yet, but I did make a few adjustments. So far I like Eco mode, Cinema2, sharpness at -2 and brightness at -17. I also bought the Avia disc, and I look forward to fully calibrating the projector once I have it mounted in its final location.

Color saturation is excellent -- rich colors, without being oversaturated. Contrast also looks very good. The projector is in a living room with white celing and light colored walls -- certainly not a batcave.

My biggest concern is that I am projecting on my old 4:3 DaLite Video Spectra 1.5 screen. The projector certainly does not need a 1.5 screen, as my CRT did. And when viewing 1.85:1 material on the 16:9 panel, there are "black" bars projected on the top&bottom of the image. And since my screen is a 4:3 screen, there are BLACK bars above and below the projected "black" bars.

The image looks beautiful, with very respectable contrast. But if my eye drifts towards the extreme edges, and I notice the bluish-black bars adjacent to the black bars, then I am somewhat dissappointed in the projector's black level.

Would a DLP projector be much better at displaying the black bars? Or would a better solution be to upgrade my screen to a high-contrast fabric?

Thanks very much!

-- Peter

· Registered
103 Posts
DLP would definatately improve the bars, but I think a 16:9 screen would be the way to go. I'm moving from 4:3 to 16:9 too. I have a 16:9 projector and a 4:3 Da-Lite high power screen, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm probably going to go with a 16:9 HCMW screen. I think I'll be MUCH happier then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.