AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My projector is a Sony VPL-CX1 (XGA, 550 lumens, 1.3 zoom, 4:3) and I found a dead pixel right in the middle. I look carefully elsewhere and only found one. Is there anything I can do? It's most noticeable on gray colors and appears white on gray background. White and black backgrounds are not noticeable. It's driving me crazy as I tend to focus on this bright dot. Powering it off and on and switching video sources did not help. My projector is less than 1 month old but my vendor won't take it back or exchange it unless DOA. All other problems have to go through Sony. I found their support numbers and contacts on the net 1-800-686-7669 but I bet they'll say 1-3 pixels are acceptable production standard due to LCD technology. Should I even bother to complain or suck it up and get use to it? Thanks for listening to my rant :-(

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it is not dust? Try cleaning or having it cleaned first. LCDs definitely tend to have dust problems.

If a dead pixel, perhaps someone here can comment on how to get satisfaction from your vendor or Sony.

Dan

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely a dead pixel. Since this Sony has 3 panels (RGB), I think it's a dead pixel in one of the panel (which one I'm unsure) as it looks worse with certain colors than others (worst with gray, brown, less visible with red, yellow, and invisible with black, white). I don't think it's dust as it's a perfect square when I get up close to the screen. As it's XGA we're talking one pixel out of 2.4 millions so I probably can live with it. I doubt that Sony will fix or replace this with only one pixel bad, but I will call Monday-Friday 8:30-5 pm to ask. Also changing 4:3 to 16:9 did not change location of the dead pixel which also suggests it's a problem on one of the LCD panel. Off settting the focus slightly and unsharpening the image helps, but then image appears a little soft. Like a shiny new car the first scratch or dead pixel is the most painful one :-( I think also most HT enthusiast are anal-retentive, perfectionists who notice these little details (my wife couldn't even see it until I pointed it out!) I keep reminding myself that worst things can happen :-(

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to Sony Service today concerning my problem. They are very, very nice and helpful. The tech. said to try compressed air with red tube in between bottom fan blades to clean out any dust, etc. If this does not help, then they'll bring it in for repair or replacement. I was impressed with their response and concern for a single dead pixel amongst 2.4 million. It is distracting to have a bright dot in the middle of your view. They also gave me a more direct number to call back with progress as they've logged me in under my phone # for continued logged support. Thought I would share this with you.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.