AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firefly Blu-ray, opening war sequence of the first episode (might be as good on DVD... but I don't know).

I have been auditioning a few projectors, and bright contrasty scenes look comparable on many of them. Some produce slightly brighter images, some slightly richer blacks, and some better color. In fact, I found it difficult to notice a discernible difference in many scenes with these projectors (all of which have been calibrated with the AVSHD and Avia discs and baseline settings from this or other sites).

On two of the projectors, I was only able to tell what was going on in this Firefly scene by listening... almost unwatchable. With one projector in particular (Epson HC720), I was able to make out practically all detail across the scene. The Epson had been winning the shadow detail war up until then, but after using this scene, I decided to stop the war. There was a clear winner.

If it is important to anyone, I was using a Firehawk 96" 1.2 gain screen in a completely light controlled environment. The other projectors were an Infocus IN76 (300 hours on bulb) and Optoma's HD65 and HD71.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikoshea /forum/post/17047208

Since you said 'opening war scene' im assuming you mean the tv show pilot episode.

and was the HC720 your winner? it sounded like it, but couldn't be sure.

Yes... and yes. The HC720 wasn't AS good on producing pure black, but with the dynamic iris, it comes awfully close (I had to tweak forever to get it there... but it got there). The projector is fairly quiet (better than the others by a longshot), great warranty, better build construction, great color reproduction and a rebate for a free lamp to boot. I am sitting 12' from the screen and notice pixel structure on the odd bright on dark scene, but that is usually short lived and is an easy minus to accept. The two Optomas were also brighter, but with my screen and the light controlled room... not significant for me (the Epson produces plenty of light for the room).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts