AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new JVC HD52G886 in October 2005...The light engine failed 6 weeks later and I have been wating OVER A MONTH for a new light engine.....everytime I call JVC so called customer service I get put in hold for so long I hang up in disgust.

Their web site has been indicating for the last month that the light engine will be available in a week.....The TV is watchable, but the colors are way off...My blacks are blue, my greys are purple and my whites are a pale yellow...So I turn it on last night and bam....nothing happens except for the dreaded flashing lights on the front panel....now the lamp is shot..

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....why cant JVC get it right...

I went to my store and I am swapping for a Sony KDF-E55A20...

I am not too crazy about LCD, but I am one of the unfortunates who see rainbows and get headaches/eye fatique with DLP, and the Sony SXRD is a little out of my price range

I think the JVC has a slightly better picture BUT DAMN...they just cant seem to iron out their quality control....

At least when I turn my new Sony, I will feel confident it will perform to specs....

AGAIN, WHY CANT JVC GET IT RIGHT??????

Sorry for the rant...I just had to vent somewhere....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make sure you check for green, red or blue blobs on your Sony because they can't seem to get things ironed out either. I have had 2 50WE620's and a 55A20 and they all have had discolorations on black screens. I had one XS-55" that didn't exhibit these blobs/blotches but it developed a bright red crop circle. I would just hope for the best on getting one that has good geometry and no blobs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorm
Purchased a new JVC HD52G886 in October 2005...The light engine failed 6 weeks later and I have been wating OVER A MONTH for a new light engine.....everytime I call JVC so called customer service I get put in hold for so long I hang up in disgust.

Their web site has been indicating for the last month that the light engine will be available in a week.....The TV is watchable, but the colors are way off...My blacks are blue, my greys are purple and my whites are a pale yellow...So I turn it on last night and bam....nothing happens except for the dreaded flashing lights on the front panel....now the lamp is shot..

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....why cant JVC get it right...

I went to my store and I am swapping for a Sony KDF-E55A20...

I am not too crazy about LCD, but I am one of the unfortunates who see rainbows and get headaches/eye fatique with DLP, and the Sony SXRD is a little out of my price range

I think the JVC has better picture BUT DAMN...they just cant seem to iron out their

quality control....

I can put up with a little SDE, but at least when I turn my new Sony I will feel confident it will perform to specs....

AGAIN, WHY CANT JVC GET IT RIGHT??????

Sorry for the rant...I just had to vent somewhere....

:mad: :mad: :mad:
They let you swap it after 6 weeks? What store, I might want to look at that chain.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ABC Warehouse....A regional chain in the midwest similar to Circuit City or Best Buy.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TommmyJ

God, I hope so....at least if there is a problem with this Sony, I'm sure their customer service is better than JVC

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a HD-52G786 (same as yours mine is just all black) and I purchased mine around the end of November 05 and my bulb blew today. The screen all of the sudden was much darker 3 days ago when I got home and turned it on. I called JVC that day to see what was going on, (I had not found these boards yet) the CSR said they would be sending me a new bulb because it sounded like mine was going bad, but I would have to call back because the person that orders them was not in. So I called back yesterday (after I found all of these posts) I asked the CSR how long it would take (5-7 days), If the new bulb would be covered under an re-newed 1 year warranty. She stated that it would not because the old bulb was faulty and the new bulb is rated to last the actual 5000 hrs.

I Have owned nothing but JVC for all of my home theater products for over 10 years now. I've never had a problem, nothing. Matter of fact my 9yo DVD was replaced this christmas, not because it was bad just because it would not play DVD-R. I have a 10 yo RX series receiver that works perfectly in the dusty, damp, cold shop.

I just don't get why they did wrong on these..... It's sad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI if a customer was having that kind of problems @ my store i usually take care of them....

i hate just as much as you do when a company takes forever to service a product

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
TommmyJ

God, I hope so....at least if there is a problem with this Sony, I'm sure their customer service is better than JVC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, that one really had me rolling...

Have you ever had to deal with Sony? You re luckt to get a CSR that speaks english, let alone is capable or willing to accomodate....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
videobruce........

The store where I purchased the JVC (ABC Warehouse), There JVC floor model was broken

(bad lamp)..My local Sears store...Their floor model JVC was broken (Salesperson didn't know the problem) My local Rex TV store (another midwest chain) Their floor model JVC was broken...My 6 week old JVC was broken...Thats four Identical model JVC broken within a five mile radius of where I live..

I was afraid if I swapped for a "new" JVC I would just start having the same problems all over again..4 broken displays in a 5 mile radius is JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE..coupled with JVC rotten customer service made me decide to take a closer look at Sony...

I have had my Sony 55A20 LCD for about two weeks and after some viewing, I now prefer the picture on the Sony...The Sony has a "power reduction" mode which lowers the total lamp output which is a very nice feature in my viewing environment..

I still think the JVC picture is a little more sharper, But I watch most of my TV in low light and the JVC was just a little too bright in my environment..The SSE was pretty bad on the JVC which took me by surprise....

I sure hope JVC can get their problems ironed out, because I will be ready to upgrade in a couple of years when the "DVD WAR" has finally ended...

By the way, my JVC died on December 2, I checked JVC web-site yesterday and they still indicate a one week ETA on the light engine

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Understood. The lamp issue is really another matter as this isn't the only set that lamp issues have been reported. As far as everything else, I think alot of that is coincedence.

In the first place, I wouldn't buy one of these sets at a "warehouse"

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
I think some of that is coincidence.
Ditto.

I have the HD52G886....bought in August. No problems whatsoever. Picture looks just as great as it did when I brought it home. Watched "Wedding Crashers" last night (hilarious movie by the way) on DVD and my father stopped by and commented on how good the picture looked.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
videobruce....

"warehouse" is just part of their name.......This store is very similar to Circuit City or Best Buy..ABC Warehouse is a forty plus chain of stores in the midwest

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Considering JVC DILA was rated dead last for reliability in Consumer Reports last year (to be fair, based on older DILA models), I don't think it's coincidence at all. Also to be fair, none of the current microdisplays are great for reliability, but JVC does seem to be below average (a lot of light engine and bulb problems are posted).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BillP

Thanks...I thought 4 displays in a 5 mile radius was a little bit more than just a coincidence myself.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
BillP

Thanks...I thought 4 displays in a 5 mile radius was a little bit more than just a coincidence myself.....
I am swapping out my 2nd set tomorrow, and am annoyed to say the least, but still feel that the HDxxFH96 was the best available choice for me before Xmas, and having dealt with both JVC and SONY CSRs on multiple occasions, I can tell you:

JVC's is better :p Note, I didn't say "Great!" or "Good" or even necessarily "Competent" :p I said "Better" hehe.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JimP

The JVC PRO series is an entirely different model than the one I had (HD-52G886)

Hopefull you will have better luck if you decide to purchase....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpllaketapps
My buddies 52z lost the engine in his after 6 months.

I used to be JVC die hard - Not anymore.

Thanks for bringing up that painful JVC memory - xpllaketapps. Yeah, I was without my expensive TV for about 2 weeks. So far no problems at 3 months on the replacement light engine, but I expect it to break everytime I grab the remote. I love the color, brightness, and PQ when it's working, but, I've lost my faith in JVC LCOS reliability. At least I bought a good EW to cover their flaws for 5 more years.

I am very impressed that you were able to schedule an at home service call to replace your bulb in less than 24 hrs. Hopefully the tech doesn't find anything more serious and gets your dead 61" JVC screen back to life, so you can watch the Super Bowl bound Seahawks stomp the Redskins on the big screen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.