AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a month of learing about video and scalers and deinterlacers etc. I have come to the timely conclusion the the projector I have (an InFocus LP550) is really only a piece of junk :(

It has a VGA only screen, and really does not display SVGA at all. It streaks badly due to a pathetic deinterlacer. It has 1.44 million colours.

SO, I have found a dealer that sells both the LP550 and its later model, LP570. The LP570 actually resolved the deinterlacing issue, and even though it is still VGA native resolution, it has a scaler to cope with 800X600.

Most impressively it can provide 16.7 million colours! Wohoo!!! Video that is actually the right colour! No more gray, washed out pictures and weird skin tones - very cool :)

The LP550 is being swapped for an LP570 - cash differemnce of $400 Aus (or $200 US) so I am a happy camper now :)

What does everyone think - have I made the right decision?

Cheers

Heath Young

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea was to get as much bang for buck as possible - to upgrade from here would be another $2000 for something like a LP580 or so. (No, not the next of the 540,550,560,570 series).

So for $400 its a pretty good increase - this is home theatre on a poverty budget here so to speak :)

Next projector will be 800X600...

Cheers

Heath Young

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I think that is a reasonable decision. The 550 works OK for VGA computers but isn't much for video. A 570 is a big improvement.

The 580 is also pretty decent and often goes for around US$550 on Ebay.

For a bit more, you can get a LP420 for around US$900 and an LP400 for US$1200, again on Ebay. These are SVGA DLP's with excellent scalars.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rlsmith - you seem to know the Infocus range pretty well... No-one (InFocus isn't talking) can tell me if the LP570 can handle video (specifically PAL video) without the bad streaking that comes from the rather average deinterlacer.

Do you know if I will still have this problem? I don't mind if I dont run the compression on the video (to turn off the scaler and just run the deinterlacer) if I have to - it just means that there is a little bit of lost video where it is 'chopped'.

The LP580 I am still thinking about... But I don't want to spend quite that much at the moment. The Ebay price is quite reasonable - way better than what I would pay here at home, but shipping is a pain.

Cheers

Heath Young

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
healthyoung,

I don't know much about PAL video and most of what I know of that generation of equipment is second hand. I do know that the 580 is well thought of for deinterlacing NTSC. Later machines are even better.

If you are going as far as Ebay, look at the 420, 400, 425z, 340v, 350, in that order (going up in quality). I have been surprised at how cheaply the 420 and 400 have been doing for lately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the seller again... Despit him being full-o-sht on some things (don't ask) I have decided to get the 570, and run it from a line doubler.

The line doubler that I have chosen is a low cost unit - a Gamars V-Box, that I have decided to take a shot on...

Why?

The deinterlacing function is supposedly very good, it is cheap, and instead of having 1.44 million colours (which the projector puts out in video, 16.7 million in VGA - GRRRR!!!) I can put 576P into it, the internal scaler will turn it into the native resolution (or I could tell it to not compress the image) AND I can adjust the red, blue and green values to remove the yellowness from the halogen bulb.

The Gamars Vbox uses the Philips SA7110/7111, which allows 4:2:2 (or 16.7 million colours) output.

The alternative was a lot more expensive, and I need a holiday (and am getting married soon) - the WAF will be a lot higher on just spending a little more ;P

Thanks all

Heath Young

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.