AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i go to walmrt tv section once and a while, the tvs all look kinda shtty, i know there feeding them some hd but i dont know it must be real compressed or somthing.. all blocky and jaggy sony samsung vizio rca all look pretty bad.

last few times i was looking at vizio because they seem to be big time player in the tv market now, but honestly there sometimes about the worst looking picture there. always more yellow an dimmer then the sanyo and even rca or phillips next to them. even when i mess with settings and color temps. anyone know anything about the latest sanyo lcd's? who makes them? ! wish they had the remotes out, no menu access on the unit for sanyo and i hate slow respoding remotes - real deal breaker

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Steve S. on these forums works at a Sears store and has also mentioned that current Vizio models have been turning yellow over time and they have had to replace them out on the floor

knowing this can you believe that some people actually consider Vizio to be a top Tier brand these days?

not sure who makes Sanyo atm but i would avoid em and pretty much ever other TV sold at Walmart, the XVT Vizio's will be the *best* performing models they carry and your really better off buying a last years model set of a higher model good brand at a best buy or other major electronics store because when they got them on closeout like they are currently you can never beat those prices for a new TV.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Why the heck would you go to Walmart

Surely there are better, boutique shops in MSP.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
WalFART is a primary distributor of Vizio (there aren't many Boutique dealers that display VIZIO) but I would have to agree with this person. I perhaps visit one of these stores once a year and I went through to look at their TV's since they are supposed to be expanding and carrying more and better lines but they looked pathetic and viewing the Vizio's I kept thinking what the hell are people talking about on this forum - they looked like crapola!

I would have to surmise that WalMart simply has stock jockeys setting them up as they were all pathetic and out of the box they must need quite a bit of tweaking and not a single Vizio had any WoW factor and I would have to assume it's the Chains fault and not the technology as Garbage IN = Garbage OUT!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40ve5 from Costco after surveying the market and availability in various stores, CompUSA, Costco, SAMS, Best Buy, Brands Mart, and Sears. Vizio was sold by Costco, Sams and Sears; all the rest sold the main brands, Sony, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, Phillips. The new Vizio LED displays looked very good and Costco and Sams are sold out of the 47" displays. I checked it out and the picture is very clear and sharp, although televisioninfo.com review rated it low on black levels. All the stores have the displays set on "demo" or "store" setting and it boosts all the setting to Vivid and higher. Best Buy is a good place to comparison shop, because they reduce the store lighting in the areas where the tvs are located and the tv's are set up for best performance.

Vizio has done pretty well to date and is good value for money in my opinion. It provides good analog and digital display as well as HD. But from what I have seen, Samsung is the leader in LCD and Panasonic in plasma, but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18239920

WalFART is a primary distributor of Vizio (there aren't many Boutique dealers that display VIZIO) but I would have to agree with this person. I perhaps visit one of these stores once a year and I went through to look at their TV's since they are supposed to be expanding and carrying more and better lines but they looked pathetic and viewing the Vizio's I kept thinking what the hell are people talking about on this forum - they looked like crapola!

I would have to surmise that WalMart simply has stock jockeys setting them up as they were all pathetic and out of the box they must need quite a bit of tweaking and not a single Vizio had any WoW factor and I would have to assume it's the Chains fault and not the technology as Garbage IN = Garbage OUT!

My VF550 is 3 mos old and still using"out of box"settings,except one.Do the sony's look pathetic that are mounted,of course not.They look thousands of times better than that crappola Vizio.Bash,Bash,Bash.Get a bigger hammer.Regardless of your biased opinion,V is giving the rest of the top tier a run.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wal-Mart only carries low and lower end HDTV's, and it only carries so many brands. Even though Wal-Mart really pushes Vizios, I've never seen a Vizio XVT series in one. Wal-Mart is not a good place to shop for an HDTV if you care about performance and/or features.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitoandolini /forum/post/18240492

Wal-Mart only carries low and lower end HDTV's, and it only carries so many brands. Even though Wal-Mart really pushes Vizios, I've never seen a Vizio XVT series in one. Wal-Mart is not a good place to shop for an HDTV if you care about performance and/or features.

Amen, the quality of Walmart TVs leaves a lot to be desired. You can find better TVs close to the same price points as the low end stuff they carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Par for the course at Wal-Mart...they carry the lowest end plamsa TVs as well; Panasonic's C-series (lowest rung 720p) and U-series (entry-level, a.k.a. cheap 1080p) are all they offer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so basicly what some of you are saying is, vizio is only crap at walmart ?
i mess with the settings and they still look yellow and dim, so only "high end" vizios at best buy or electronics stores will look better then cheap sanyo's and rca's? good job vizio?

im sure there xvt 240hz 50k cr internet app tv's look great, im not compraing high end tv's though im comparing mid/low, i dont watch that much tv i just want the best picture/value for the buck but i do have a picky eye.. we all know walmart is not where you go to buy a high end tv.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut /forum/post/18240898

i mess with the settings and they still look yellow and dim, so only "high end" vizios at best buy or electronics stores will look better then cheap sanyo's and rca's? good job vizio?

im sure there xvt 240hz 50k cr internet app tv's look great, im not compraing high end tv's though im comparing mid/low, i dont watch that much tv i just want the best picture/value for the buck but i do have a picky eye.. we all know walmart is not where you go to buy a high end tv.

Wal-Mart doesn't carry midrange HDTV's, either. Go on the manufaturers' websites, find out what the midrange models are, and then look for them at other stores.

EDIT: If you're only willing to pay low-end prices, you're not going to get very good picture quality (especially from LCD's).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:

basically. vizio's XVT line are actualy really good tv's. but their lower end models, like those sold at walmart, are made with cheaper panels. if you are looking at a vizio, i would highly recommend going to costco or sams club and looking at the xvt line.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am taking the plunge and ordered the VA370m from Amazon yesterday for mid fours........

Vizio seems to be love it or hate it. Honestly looking at Costco I can't tell much difference between all these panels. Some people were suggesting the LG 37LH30 is a great model, but then others say "LG = LuckyGoldstar = crapola" and the reviews on the LG are middling, just like ALL the entry level LCDs. I'm having trouble rationalizing paying 600+ after tax when I can get something for 25% less. I am certainly not going to pay 900 or 1000 for a "top tier" set for our bedroom, so I can make sure Jay Leno's chin doesn't have any "motion artifacting" or whatever during the 45 minutes the set typically gets used every day......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DARN, i cant get high end tvs at walmart for walmart prices?

i am just comparing low end tv's here. obviously if im dropping 1200 on a 42" vizio it should be a quality tv id hope. im basicly pointing out here that :

low end vizios look bad compared to other low end models of all brands.

all the low end models at walmart pretty much look close for Pq (none look awesome with there hd feed)

AND i was asking what people know about sanyo, because i live in between a few walmarts and the cheap vizios always look dim and yellow compared to the sanyo, sony, samsung, phillips, and without touching any settings the sanyos actually were one of the better looking pictures yesterday, compareable to the samsungs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan /forum/post/18242077

I am taking the plunge and ordered the VA370m from Amazon yesterday for mid fours........

Vizio seems to be love it or hate it. Honestly looking at Costco I can't tell much difference between all these panels. Some people were suggesting the LG 37LH30 is a great model, but then others say "LG = LuckyGoldstar = crapola" and the reviews on the LG are middling, just like ALL the entry level LCDs. I'm having trouble rationalizing paying 600+ after tax when I can get something for 25% less. I am certainly not going to pay 900 or 1000 for a "top tier" set for our bedroom, so I can make sure Jay Leno's chin doesn't have any "motion artifacting" or whatever during the 45 minutes the set typically gets used every day......

ya im in the same boat. might as well just buy one whatever cause its not for my theatre lol

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah, pretty much, never go to Walmart to check out TVs. LOL!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut /forum/post/18242182

i live in between a few walmarts

Aim a little higher. Audition the sets in a better environment, then look for the seller with the lowest price once you've determined what you want. Don't be limited by what is on the display floor at one store!!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18239733

Steve S. on these forums works at a Sears store and has also mentioned that current Vizio models have been turning yellow over time and they have had to replace them out on the floor

knowing this can you believe that some people actually consider Vizio to be a top Tier brand these days?

not sure who makes Sanyo atm but i would avoid em and pretty much ever other TV sold at Walmart, the XVT Vizio's will be the *best* performing models they carry and your really better off buying a last years model set of a higher model good brand at a best buy or other major electronics store because when they got them on closeout like they are currently you can never beat those prices for a new TV.

Actually the yellowing occurred only on 1080p Vizios from the '08/'09 model year. We didn't carry any Vizios larger than 32" for the now outgoing model year, and none of the ones of that model year that we had on display turned yellow, though putting the color temp on Warm did give a yellowish green tint to the screen. I have no experience with nor have I seen any of the larger Vizios in the last year--can't comment on them.

There are a lot of enthusiastic Vizio owners around here who regard their sets as being top tier as far as performance goes. They get pretty decent reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. According to some techs there are no new parts available for them, only refurbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut /forum/post/18242182

DARN, i cant get high end tvs at walmart for walmart prices?

i am just comparing low end tv's here. obviously if im dropping 1200 on a 42" vizio it should be a quality tv id hope. im basicly pointing out here that :

low end vizios look bad compared to other low end models of all brands.

all the low end models at walmart pretty much look close for Pq (none look awesome with there hd feed)

AND i was asking what people know about sanyo, because i live in between a few walmarts and the cheap vizios always look dim and yellow compared to the sanyo, sony, samsung, phillips, and without touching any settings the sanyos actually were one of the better looking pictures yesterday, compareable to the samsungs.

No need for attitude. I think everyone in this thread is just trying to be helpful, and you asked for help. I'm not sure why you keep repeating that you're not interested in high end HDTV's. You posted this:

Quote:
im not compraing high end tv's though im comparing mid/low, i dont watch that much tv i just want the best picture/value for the buck but i do have a picky eye..

So, I told you that Wal-Mart doesn't carry midrange HDTV's, either. I also stated that if you're only willing to pay low-end prices, you're not going to get very good picture quality, no matter what the brand, especially with LCD's.

Now, you could wait until midrange HDTV prices drop to levels you're willing to pay now. At the very least, I would wait until more of the 2010 models are released. You may be able to get better performance out of some of the 2010 entry level models for the same price as or even less than the 2009 models available now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A Vizio LCD was a good choice for 2006. The price was low, and the quality was decent compared to models that were then being produced by the 'S' brands. Now there's simply no reason to buy a Vizio, as comparable Sony or Samsung models cost about the same, and offer significantly better performance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts