AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel soo freaking dumb now! I went and got a CP72 to replace my ailing RP56. I went to circuit city and they were out of stock. The salesman asked if I would be interested in an open box one for $169. I said ok and I bought it for $169 and the salesman handed me my $30 rebate slip. I didn't even know there was a rebate! So I get it for $139. Problem is, I took it home and had the same problem as the RP56, so I went to the wiring room in the back and I tripple checked al the connections, then I noticed the blue cable ( of my component) was not straight. I changed the cable ( I had a spare) and there it was! So now I have a Panny RP56 with nothing wrong with it. The wife is gonna be pissed! ( 'cause I aint returning my CP72:D )

Gus

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
:D LOL, no offence intended but that's funny. If you have a dedicated wiring room then I'm sure you know when there's any video problem the first step is check the connections & wires. :) You know you were just aching for an excuse to UPGRADE. :) I don't blame you thou, I wouldn't return it at that price either.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
So now I have a Panny RP56 with nothing wrong with it.
Any chance you still have the box? Might make a nice christmas present for someone!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
That's cool that your local Circuit City offers the rebate on open box items. The two closest to me discard the boxes, so the UPC symbols are no longer present to qualify for the rebate.

Two weeks ago, I visited my local CC and found about 3 "open box" Panasonic DVD-RP32K players. Their price was $89.99 and the new price was $119.99 (before a $20 mail-in rebate.) I told the salesperson that the "open box" price was only $10.00 less than a new sealed player after the rebate. Within 10 seconds, he dropped the price to $69.99 + tax for me.

I'm truly impressed with the Panasonic quality. Since I'm only watching DVDs on a 32" Sony Vega, I'm sure the Panny "32" is very adequate for my scenario. However, I do often drool about the "82" - but, cancelled my order from Crutchfield because I was sick of dropping money left and right. I guess it's just time to hold onto what I have for the moment ... and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by srgilbert
Any chance you still have the box? Might make a nice christmas present for someone!
Actually, yes I do. I used the box to store HT purchase receipts.

Daryl, You are half right. I wanted to upgrade anyway, but the problem with the wire wasn't obvious. The first thing I did was check there, but I didn't see anything the first time.

Snake, I haven't had a chanve to check some of my reference discs. All i've seen so far in my CP72 is the Chubb Chubbs from MIB II.

Gus

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, the wife is ok with the 72, the thing is she doesn't yet know there's nothing wrong with the RP56.

Gus

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
she doesn't yet know there's nothing wrong with the RP56.
Just get into Fort Knox, have them lock the gates then call her and tell her. :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gus
Oh, the wife is ok with the 72, the thing is she doesn't yet know there's nothing wrong with the RP56.

Gus
WOW! I guess I'm lucky. My wife doesn't even worry about new gear suddenly appearing. We have a simple rule: I can buy anything as long as it doesn't adversely impact our lifestyle. In other words, if we can still pay all the bills, take all of our vacations, and pretty much keep doing what we're doing, I've got carte blanche!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Gus,

I think u subconciously made the cable loose, and blanked it out from your memory so you could get a new DVD player without the wife catching a fit :p

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
LOL :D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
Gus,

I think u subconciously made the cable loose, and blanked it out from your memory so you could get a new DVD player without the wife catching a fit :p
Do you think if subconsciously loosen up the ceiling mount on my projector I can get a new Marantz when it comes crashing down?:D

Gus

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
well u could also get a friend to do that for you :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hehe.... You're in Lawrence - not too far away.... Maybe I could "liberate" that projector for you so you can get a new one... My uncle is a Lawrence cop, maybe they'll have to take other stuff as "evidence" ;).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.