AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello;

I just purchased my first HTPC from a guy on ebay. He upgraded & was selling his older set-up.

He migrated the HDD to his new system so the one for sale has only a 128G SSD. He kindly offered to install a new HDD for me & W7 so the HTPC would be "ready to go" on arrival, since I've never opened a computer case in my life. 

However, I was googling around and read that maybe it isn't safe for the HDD to be shipped already installed? 

Should I ask my seller to hault the install and ship me HTPC & the HDD in the original box??

Thank you for your assistance!

Vero

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not unless you have someone to help install the HDD when it gets here...

Modern HDDs park the head automatically on shutdown, so you don't need to do anything special to prepare it for shipment. Beyond that it's a trade off - yes, he could wrap the HDD in bubble wrap and a static bag for shipment which would make it safer, but then you would need to install it... Companies like Dell and HP ship PCs with HDDs installed all the time, if it makes you feel better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.