AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stirring the pot. I wish that companies dealing with software--ReplayTV or other--wouldn't give ETA's for software deployments (in this case myreplaytv.com's interface). They just frustrate people this way. It would be better to just be explicit (without revealing anything potentially destructive to the company) as to what the issues are.

:(

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can understand "approximate" dates. We were all asking here when it would be up again and they gave us their best guess. I don't fault them for that.

I would just appreciate updates occasionally, especially after the original estimated date has passed. Just tell us it'll be a while longer, or whatever, just don't leave us waiting without any idea of how much longer it might be.

·
Registered
184 Posts
IMHO, days and days to restore a web service in the 21st century is simply unacceptable. Of course they already have my money, so what am I gonna do about it?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
IMHO, days and days to restore a web service in the 21st century is simply unacceptable. Of course they already have my money, so what am I gonna do about it?
Don't be so quick to condemn. Sometimes a catastrophic outage is the impetus behind the implementation of a contemplated, but not yet acted on, system upgrade.

·
Registered
606 Posts
At least they took the approximate date off. Now it just says:
Quote:
MyReplayTV is currently unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working hard to restore the service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The timing is simply amazingly stupid though. Anytime during the summer if they'd broken IVS I wouldn't have even noticed, but the new season has started! I have a list of 5 show requests waiting for IVS to come back and I am waiting on a show myself.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Don't be so quick to condemn. Sometimes a catastrophic outage is the impetus behind the implementation of a contemplated, but not yet acted on, system upgrade.
If the excessive delay is due to an honest-to-goodness upgrade and not just putting the same software on new hardware, then I agree. There has been more than enough time to spec, build, and deploy a new server(s) and restore the data. With an outage of this long, we should be seeing some some significant enhancements to the system - e.g. same day updates.

Of course, this is just wishful thinking:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Dreamer, that you?;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It is pretty unimaginable that they wouldn't get something up and running in the NOW time frame.

I've spent many a year keeping systems up a running. Whenever something went down, I always did 2 things. First, get something up and running ASAP to please everyone, then work on replacing that system with some more robust.

From my understanding, ReplayTV decided to just do the second step. That's a definite no, no in the consumer world.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since the company has been sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they are physically moving the servers....sometimes those moves get tricky...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Dreamer, that you?;)
No, I'm over here....:cool:

The Dreamer

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Or someone was fired and "left" with the server... just kidding. This is one of the best conspiracy threads in a long time. I hope everyone and DNNA is getting a laugh over some of these.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
And based on past experience, what would make anyone think that they're working on replacing it with a more robust system?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I checked it last night and it was working. It looked exactly the same as before.

I was looking forward to scheduling more shows today and then it went back off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So where are Replay BOB or heathriel the Annoying Wench? They both seem to have inside answers most of the time but have been absent on this issue!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unacceptable. Freaking unacceptable. With all the new seasons starting up IVS is a necessity. COME ON GUYS!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.