AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend told me that his z5500 subwoofer from logitech is better than the bic-100 because my woofer is consider front firing and not floor firing.

when I did my research back then, I was told the bic-100 was the best woofer under 500 dollars. the whole set of z5500 is only 200 bucks. if that was the case, i would of went for the logitech instead of dishing out 200 or so bucks for the bic 100

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The z5500 is also front-firing. It is not a particularly great sub in general, but is decent for a computer sub. The bic should be far better.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just tell your friend that to judge a subwoofer based on only that criteria only shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sounds like you just want to win a "who's is bigger" contest, which isn't (usually) the point.

If you really want to put it to rest though, just put the subs next to each other and play the same thing through each in turn. That will put the argument to rest. And if you still disagree than simply agree that people have different tastes and be happy with your respective choices.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not about who's bigger. I just wanted to know which one is better because his whole set cost 200 bucks while the bic 100 alone is 200+ bucks. I just don't want to feel ripped off....

I don't have a chance to ck out the 5500 sub, but if somebody that tried both and tell me their opinion, it would be great.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
Z-5500 Sub = 188 watt RMS (What amp?) x 10" driver

BIC H-100 = 150 Watt RMS BASH x 12" driver

33Hz vs 24Hz +-3dB spec'd from MFG.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story, but there's no question the BIC is a better sub. Not even close.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse40902 /forum/post/15562636

My friend told me that his z5500 subwoofer from logitech is better than the bic-100 because my woofer is consider front firing and not floor firing.

when I did my research back then, I was told the bic-100 was the best woofer under 500 dollars. the whole set of z5500 is only 200 bucks. if that was the case, i would of went for the logitech instead of dishing out 200 or so bucks for the bic 100

this isn't intended to be inflamatory but have your friend check this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150

It's not the bible or anything rather just a starting point. Listening is subjective and what sounds good to one person doesn't necessarily sound the same to the next.

By saying that the logitech z5500 is a better subwoofer because it comes as a whole set versus the BIC H100 which is, well just the sub, is like comparing apples to oranges. There's no point

If you were to compare the subwoofer of the Z5500 vs. the BIC H100, then we're talking comparing clementines versus Persian oranges. At least they are similar.

The H100 is widely regarded as one of the best value subs out there and I have no doubt that while the Z5500 is a nice set of computer speakers, the subwoofer that comes with it will not hold a candle against the H100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Up until recently, I had the Logitech Z-560 system. The Z-5500 probably improves on it a little (I see it has a bigger driver... haven't been able to look up the cabinet dimensions online), but I'm guessing Logitech went for a similar sound. My subwoofer was loud and went down to about 35 Hz, but boomed a lot in the midbass frequencies (and yes, I tried this a few different rooms). It was fun for watching movies sometimes, but it was disappointing with music. I ended up stuffing a bunch of socks into the port and turning down the bass on my sound card just to get it under control. I'd be shocked if it could compete with anything outside of the computer audio market

I'll probably be picking up a new subwoofer in the ~$200 range in the next couple weeks, so I can give you a more useful comparison then. It probably won't be the Bic H-100, though, since the ridiculous deals on that one seem to have dried up as of late.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had a Z5500 system and while I've never head the Bic from what I have read here I have no doubt the Bic is superior in EVERY way.

One of the challenges facing the Z5500 is that due to the small 3" full range single driver satilites comprising the rest of the Z5500 system the crossover point is set up very high. Somewhere around 150hz. This forces the sub to do a lot and it is not up to the task. The Logitech sub is "boomy" for music and could barely cause my chair to shake (right next to the sub) during big HT scenes.

When I replaced it with a SVS 20-39 PC+ I experienced for the first time what a subwoofer is supposed to sound like and I've been hooked ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts