AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well, I went to circuit city tonight to try to decide between the Onkyo S590S and the Onkyo S790S. I am working on a $290 budget.

I like everything about the 590 except for one thing, the speakers feel cheap since they are plastic. I really like the 790 speakers, but I am willing to go with the 590 receiver and 5.1 sound to save a little money since the 790S is $50 over my budget (refurbished). I am also willing to go with refurbished.

I was thinking that I could get the 590 receiver (TX-SR304S) and the 790 speakers (SKS-HT540) without the 2 rear surround speakers. I found the 590 receiver easily enough for $119 refurbished on Onkyo's website. Does anyone know if I can buy the refurbished speakers for somewhere in the $150 neighborhood?

Also would matching this receiver and these speakers cause any other problems?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Barry

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you're going to do that, why not get a better brand of speakers? The Onkyo speakers come in a package (I forget the model number) but for the price of the Onks, you can get some from a dedicated speaker company that'll be miles better.

This is coming from someone who likes the Onkyo speakers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryPo /forum/post/0

Also would matching this receiver and these speakers cause any other problems?

No more than the countless people that match an Onkyo receiver to Athena speakers, or Infinitys, or any other brand.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
yeah if you're going to buy speakers don't go onkyo. You can get a good 5 speaker system for $200, the vedolyne cht front row system, probably the best budget full supeaker system you'll find right now at the price point.

Also the receiver that comes in the 590 package is the HT-R340. The 304 is the stand alone equivilant. They are basically the same receiver, same features etc., except the 340 has a level subwoofer output that you connect to a subs high level inputs using speaker wire but that's no big deal I had the receiver for a while and it worked great.

The price is right at the 790 system now with speakers that'll blow it away but you still need a sub which allow around 200 maybe a little less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.