AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished reading the ZDNet Anchordesk article on the ReplayTV lawsuit (which has already been discussed here) and just HAD to vent.

I have despised commercials for years. My wife considers me an extremist. It wasn't that many years ago that I first saw an advertisement BEFORE a movie I attended in a theater (it was a car commercial). I was so angry I nearly left and demanded my money back. They had no right showing a commercial when I had PAID to see the movie. I also dislike previews, but at least there you might see something interesting. And some nearby theaters have filmstrips of local merchant's advertisements. Sometimes I will go out in the lobby to avoid these ads. Other times I talk to the wife or read a book on the old Ipaq. My wife thinks my hatred of ads is a little extreme. (Incidentally, since getting our UTVs going, neither myself nor the wife has suggested going to a movie. There is too much of what we want to see at home.)

I was REALLY pleased a few years ago when I saw an RCA VCR that had COMMERCIAL ADVANCE. I studied the VCR manual carefully (to ensure it wasn't just the 30-second skip) before purchasing and found it would indeed detect the commercials and forward past them with reasonable success. I used that feature for years. (Were there lawsuits over that which I just missed?).

Now I prefer my UTVs 30 second skip to the commercial advance feature mainly because of the 80% success rate. (though I wouldn't complain if MS added the feature.... ) UTV 30 second advance works so well because you don't have to see ANY of the AD (or hardly any of it).

And our family prefers to watch movies on the UTV since we won't let the family see anything above a PG rating and the TV broadcasters do the editing. So we get relatively clean movies/shows and can skip those ads.

I HATE ADS!!!

Thank you UTV!! (and other PVRs (and VCRs))

·
Registered
477 Posts
I own two UTV's, and I have to say, I'm right there with ya!!! My wife and I have gone to the movie theater about 5 times in the past 3 years, since getting a DVD player. I know it's a different technology, but it's still the same concept of what your talking about. I want entertainment on my time and my terms, not dictated to me by the relevant industry. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money for the DVD player or 2 UTV's. We hardly ever go to the movies anymore. It's cheaper to buy the newest release $20 or less DVD, every Tuesday when they come out, and watch it with the convenience of pausing, etc., than it is for the two of us to go to the theater and spend the money for 2 $7.50 tickets, a $4 box of popcorn, and 2 $4 drinks. Plus, we can always sell the DVD to the local DVD swap/trade/sell store and actually get at least $5 back if the movie sucks. :) How many times have you seen a movie in the theater and wished you could get at least some of your money back because it was so horrible????? :) It isn't called a P.V.R. (Personal Video Recorder) for nothing!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.