AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year or so I have been collecting the episodes of a program I want to archive. There are over 100 episodes, and I have now reached the point where I have all of them EXCEPT for two. I am the type that wants to have them all in broadcast order, even though it's not really a "serial" type show. All I can do is buy two seasons of the show on DVD for two episodes, or wait for them to come around in rotation.

I have checked with the on-line services, and the show is not available.

I just hate it when that happens.

When I was recording Have Gun Will Travel from the Encore Western channel, they skipped a few episodes. I waited for the whole thing to repeat and the next time through, they skipped the same episodes. The cartoon network (or is it Boomerang) is showing the original series Jonny Quest, but every time through they skip "The Devil's Tower" and the old SciFi channel used to occasionally show a marathon of Kolchak: The Night Stalker, and always skipped "The Energy Eater". I wonder if they "lost" those missing episodes, or there was some other specific reason for the omissions. Either way, its kind of annoying.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20834694

I wonder if they "lost" those missing episodes, or there was some other specific reason for the omissions.

Sometimes it's a "rights" issue, where a song was used or some other thing someone else owns that was paid for one time use, but didn't carry over for rebroadcast. So the next time they rerun a series, they just skip over the episode rather than renegotiating the rights. If it's a non-serial, most people won't miss it.

Othertimes they'll withhold it for some PC issue that wasn't an issue four or five decades ago (some of the old Looney Tunes stuff was like that.)

If neither apply, then it's likely that they did lose it, or otherwise don't have access to it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
That's the reason I like to purchase complete seasons on DVD. I don't purchase many movies on DVD but I do have a fair number of Complete Season DVDs. What I like about the DVDs is they are clear and free from station bugs and local Wx interruptions and are also complete and in the order they were originally broadcast.

Amazon seems to be a good outlet for such DVDs and many times can be had for

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the shows have not been released on DVD. Good Eats, for example has a few collections grouped by subject, and the first two seasons, but there are 14 seasons, and at $20 per season, that's about $300 total! Mystery Science Theater 3000 has had many individual episodes released, and maybe a collections, but (as far as I know, no seasons). I have about 75% of these. No one is rerunning them!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
What show was this?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Being a long-time Twilight Zone fan, I decided to record "marathons" and eventually have all the episodes. I came down to two that I could not catch:

"An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" and "The Encounter", both from the last season. Turns out that both eps were not included in syndicated packages, the former since it was not originally shot by the TZ production company (a rights fee for two showings was paid) and the latter for reasons of political (and accuracy) correctness.

Strangely enough, I stumbled upon (on Amazon) a DVD containing both (and no other!) episodes.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Strangely enough, I stumbled upon (on Amazon) a DVD containing both (and no other!) episodes.

That was a lucky find.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've noticed episode dropping also when recording a few series off of AntennaTV. TVLand started doing that years ago with Leave It To Beaver (they would conveniently skip the Beaver in the tea cup episode).

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/20835055

What show was this?

I don't think it really matters for the point I was trying to make, but the show I am talking about is Good Eats. According to the EPGUIDES web site there are 247 episodes, and 5 specials, though they aren't listing the latest one shown two weeks ago or so, so really 6 specials. I am missing two episodfes from season 14, so I am confident that they will eventually be shown again.

The episodes I am missing from Have Gun Will Travel, have not been shown in the "rotation" on the Encore Western Channel. The episodes "around" these missing ones are of terrible quality, like the films had been damaged, cut and spliced, bad audio. I am guessing that the missing ones were unrecoverable, so I wonder how (or reall IF) they are on the DVD set(s). I have no idea the reason for the missing episodes of Jonny Quest and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. For reasons of episodes cutting for time, I purchased Kolchak. I also purchased The Outer Limits, because of cutting. Older shows like Voyage to the bottom of the sea have been so badly cut, I don't think I would save recordings from broadcast, but the DVDs are rather expensive.

I just really dislike missing episodes.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Over on the soaking wet women forum that I am on, several users badly want to see episode #23 of Get Smart, the one with the flooding phone booth. When Tv Land showed Get Smart, they would skip that episode for some reason. I wonder why that episode wasn't in the rerun rotation.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk /forum/post/20840814

.....the soaking wet women forum that I am on.....

!!!???!!!

Apparently I have led a sheltered life....

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk /forum/post/20840814

Over on the soaking wet women forum that I am on, several users badly want to see episode #23 of Get Smart, the one with the flooding phone booth. When Tv Land showed Get Smart, they would skip that episode for some reason. I wonder why that episode wasn't in the rerun rotation.

I agree, and as I think I said, I hate it when that happens.

I too wonder why some episodes are skipped in a rotation. It's like they get the episodes from the distributor, and then lose one, and never get that missing one again, so it is permanently out of the rotation. Maybe they accidentally get destroyed or something.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20853703

Maybe they accidentally get destroyed or something.

That happened with a lot of the Dumont network's programming. Which is a shame because some of that programming was superior to the other networks at the time.

But I imagine a lot of stuff still survives, they just have some legal baggage that doesn't make it worth the trouble. Like I said, casual viewers probably don't ever notice the missing episodes.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't mean the episode was lost forever, just that, for example, the SciFi channel "lost or destroyed" that episode of Kolchak, and they never got a replacement from the distributor. Since that episode is in the DVD release, it clearly still exists. It just isn't in the rotation at the SciFi (Syfy) channel.

...legal baggage ...

When I purchased the DVDs for "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." I noticed at least one episode that was edited, very ham-handedly. It appears that in the episode as originally aired, they used a trademarked name, and after some legal wrangling, they resorted to looping (dubbing) to replace the offending dialog. The problem is, they replaced the original dialog with someone whose voice is not even remotely like the original actor, and the words are nothing similar, so the lip movements are completely disconnected from the audio track.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20854908

I didn't mean the episode was lost forever, just that, for example, the SciFi channel "lost or destroyed" that episode of Kolchak, and they never got a replacement from the distributor. Since that episode is in the DVD release, it clearly still exists. It just isn't in the rotation at the SciFi (Syfy) channel.

Oh.

I'd think if they paid for it, they'd want to air it. Since they tend to negotiate these things by a syndication package (x number of episodes aired y number of times for z number of dollars), if they found they were short one, they'd probably get a replacement if it's available.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:

... When I purchased the DVDs for "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." I noticed at least one episode that was edited, very ham-handedly...

I wonder what "Ducky" would make of that?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

Quote:

When I purchased the DVDs for "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." I noticed at least one episode that was edited, very ham-handedly. [...]

This is a huge pain with more than a few "complete series" disc sets. One of the worst offenders is "The Odd Couple" as released by CBS/Paramount on DVD with some 40 episodes recut. The first season was originally sold thru Time/Life Home Video, and survived intact, but once Paramount began putting out the followup seasons at retail they shredded them, with no regard to classic jokes and plot points even casual viewers remember. Paramount had the gall to hawk these badly edited sets for $49.95 per season, but the collector backlash was so bad they can't give the sets away now even at $19.95. In almost all these cases of butchered DVDs, the problem is the near-insane avarice of music publishers who hold the studios up for ransom over ten-second music cues "that were not cleared for home video, only TV syndication." It doesn't even matter if the new license fee is a pittance, the studios would rather butcher their legacy shows than spend the money on attorneys fees to hash out these new agreements for DVD.

You would think after a decade of this nonsense the music publishers would get a clue and realize they are simply not ever going to gain anything by "enforcing their rights." The intelligent thing to do would be to set up some sort of agency to facilitate low-cost, quick, boilerplate DVD licenses for tiny snippets of songs older than our grandparents. That way they might earn incremental $ tied to actual sales of old TV series on DVD, which is not nearly as much as everyone involved thinks it is. Its insane that an entire season of "Mary Tyler Moore Show" was delayed from DVD because Mary sang a half dozen words of "White Christmas" in a single episode. Its even more insane that "Roseanne" had its best joke of the eighth season deleted from DVD because it involved the old "Patty Duke Show" theme. Seriously? Did the estate of the guy who wrote that theme actually think they would get tens of thousands of dollars for that? Morons. Amazingly, even Disney bungles music clip licensing for ABC shows that they own themselves lock, stock and barrel: if the show uses even five seconds of "When You Wish Upon A Star," its deleted from the DVD along with any surrounding scene.

So much for collecting legacy TV series on DVD. I understand the studio position that sales are so pathetic we should be grateful they bother at all, but they need to challenge these music rights cases more effectively. The fact that a series can be sold into cable syndication for millions of dollars, with all music rights intact at no additional fee, but a DVD release which will net (at best) a a few thousand in profit has to be renegotiated for every single episode using any random few seconds of any random songs at a cost in excess of any realistic profit projection, doesn't make sense. Get it together, studios & music publishers: the status quo is counterproductive to both your interests (not to mention potential customers).

·
Registered
659 Posts
This is one of the situations where recording OTA can work for you: when the DVD version has been butchered in some way that the syndicated broadcast version has not.

I always remember that the commercial VHS release of the BBC/Masterpiece Theater series "Poldark" had small here-and-there cuts all through it, while the version I picked up from the Milwaukee PBS station did not.

My theory was that the the small, seemingly insignificant cuts were enough, cumulatively, to fit Series 1 and Series 2 on 6 T-120 tapes each.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The soaking wet women website is www.wetlook.com/forum/ If you just can't get enough of Desert Hawk, you can also find me at www.d-l-p.com (Dragon's Lair Project), a website about classic laser disc arcade games.

For a long time Game Show Network could not show the Paul Michael Larson (the guy who won over $100,000) episodes of Press Your Luck. When USA Network showed PYL reruns, they couldn;t show those episodes either. Supposedly producer Bill Carruthers was so incredibly embarassed that someone could figure out the patterns of the board that he refused to allow those episodes to be seen again. Eventually GSN got the rights to show those episodes.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/20855183

You would think after a decade of this nonsense the music publishers would get a clue and realize they are simply not ever going to gain anything by "enforcing their rights." ... So much for collecting legacy TV series on DVD.

This is happening with the Wonder Years series. Tied up on music disputes, and probably will never be released on DVD.

Fortunately I was able to grab most of the series off OTA via PAX/ION.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts