AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok in exactly 20 days from today 8-28-05 i will be FINALLY purchasing my first projector.. ive read the reviews on the 4805 and the h31 and i am totally on the fence! i only have 1100 to work with so if there are others let me know... so anyways ive decided to let you the people of Avs Forums make the choice! please vote! on 8-28 it will be your vote that makes my life much simpler.. btw me and my wife dont suffer SDE that we know of anyhow.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Everybody with reasonable eyesight can suffer SDE (screen door effect). You don't mention the uses for your projector. If is HDTV, then I say get a 720p LCD projector rather than either of the two you mention.

Chris

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't think it's hard to choose at all. If you are using a DVD player, either one will be excellent. Still don't know - just toss a coin.

SDE means the grid surrounding the pixels. If you stand close enough to the screen you will see it. Whether that will bother you depends on your personal preference and how close you plan to sit from the screen.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
720 LCD or perhaps a used Sony HS20 or fixed HS10 (768P). Don't know what they are going for used, but I'm sure you would get a lot of bang for the buck. Yea, the contrast isn't as high, but there are alot of other reasons to go with these pj's. The HS20 has HDMI, DVI, Component, etc and is pretty bright and fairly quiet (fan noise). NO SDE from 1.5 seating distance. Colors are great, and although I like DLP, I am allergic to them. I'm still happy with MY HS20 by the way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i guess i shoulda been more specific (not that i dont appreciate the input!!)

the projector is gonna be used for mainly movies and occasional sports events and console gaming.. hdtv dosnt inpress me that much, sometimes its so real its scary (seeing a zit on someone like halle berry isnt something i would like to see!)

Chris could you specify which kind of LCD in 720p would fit in my price range? also seating is aprox 16 feet away on a 110 inch screen, and it could go as far as 20 if need be. also im kinda a warrenty freak i hate to spend this much (to some its chump change but im a hobo!) on something i couldnt send back if it broke 2 weeks after setup.

rickster, i might just have to toss a coin, but this is much more productive, again thanks all for your input/insite!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprfly4whtguy
ok, i guess i shoulda been more specific (not that i dont appreciate the input!!) Chris could you specify which kind of LCD in 720p would fit in my price range?
The Sanyo PLV-Z2 could be found in the price range you mention, but if you aren't going to watch HDTV, I couldn't argue with either of the two projectors you mention.

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that projector does fall into the 1100 price range... more research for me.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Try hard to demo each projector you are considering because no matter what we say, at the end it is YOU the one that must like the image not us. Regarding the Z2 honestly I wouldnt consider it cause the extra resolution isnt nearly enough to compensate for overall PQ that the 4805 or H31 have over it. If you really wanted a 720P LCD you then must step up to the Z3 or AE700 but those are over your budget and IMHO are still not up to the same level of PQ (except for resolution) that the H31 or 4805 could project. At 16 for a 110" screen you will do just great with the 4805 as I am sitting at 13'-14' from a 124" diag and only see SDE in subtitles and occasionally slighly on really bright skies of course it helps that I dont normally look for artifacts and that my HTPC helps the image a lot.

Regards

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how would one go about demoing a projector? i dont think best buy is just gonna be like " here take this home for the weekend." got any screen shots luis?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Where are you located? There are usually dealers in your area or even AVS members that may be willing to show you a demo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
janesville, wi.. we have a best buy and thats it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Best buy has the H31. Just buy it. If you don't like it return it. No problem. I wouldn't hesitate to get the H31. There is a comparison review somewhere here that pointed out the H31 being the best. They even compared it to 720P DLP's and it held it's own. You will love it.

Warren.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb
Best buy has the H31. Just buy it. If you don't like it return it. No problem. I wouldn't hesitate to get the H31. There is a comparison review somewhere here that pointed out the H31 being the best. They even compared it to 720P DLP's and it held it's own. You will love it.

Warren.

i dont believe best buy carries the H31... i cant find it on there site! however the infocus has a rebate and if you order from there site you get a free dvd recorder.... decisions decisions.. thanks all for voting.. its pretty split.. might just be flipping a coin after all.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm considering the Sharp DT-300 as an upgrade from my Infocus X1. Don't be scared of the MSRP. It can be had in the same price range as the two PJs you're looking at.

It's native 16:9 and with a higher resolution than the H31 and 4805. 1024x576. I think this will be worth if for both HDTV and even DVDs (can sit closer, smoother picture). I believe the guy who did all the mods for the X1 said it had better colors than the NEC HT1000, so that's great. It's also really short throw, so if you want a really large image in a small space it's the projector to get.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Best Buy carries the SP4805. Even if they don't have it in the store, you could order it online for pickup from the local store (you save on delivery!). Only issue with Best Buy on projectors is that they charge a 15% restocking fee.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually the have free shipping on pjs,, and they come with a dvd recorder if you order online.. im like 51% positive im getting the sp4805.. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
One more vote for the 4805. :D

If you ever decide to go to a constant height 2.35:1 screen with an anamorphic lense the 4805 does the correct vertical stretch so no need for an external scaler. The H31 may do it as well but I'm not sure.

The 4805 is also proven to work well with a HTPC just in case you ever decide to go that route down the road. I have read many HTPC issues with the H31.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i was on the fence for about a week as well.

the h31 is supposed to look a bit better, but the fact that it doesnt work with HTPC makes it next to useless... id rather go with a reliable car that is 3mph slower.

i bought the 4805 but if optoma ever fixes the dvi issue, i can exchange, since i bought at costco.

but if they fix it i doubt theyll do a recall or anything.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.