AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF is up with audio on this HD DVD drive!? Right now I am disappointed but more so confused.

I went out and bought it today with the CC coupon so the price was right. I also bought The Last Samuri. Kong sounds fine but what the hell is wrong with the audio on The Last Samuri? Lets put it this way, I play video games and watch t.v on volume 5 or 6. Last Samuri doesn't sound normal until I crank it up to 50!! Maybe this is just the dvd but should I expect this with other dvds as well? If so, this thing is going back.

I have no surround sound at the moment so it is outputting digital stereo through my t.v.I really want to like this and keep it but I am bumming.

Does anyone know why the volume is so bad on this DVD??????

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you check the HD DVD software section I think a lot of the early HD DVD releases, by one of the studios, were mixed at a lower level than normal requiring the volume to be cranked up a bit more than expected. Definitely doesn't apply to all, just a few from the early release days of HD DVD.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is a known problem on Last Samurai. Also, generally speaking, game audio will sound louder because more dynamic compression, which brings the RMS level of the audio up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the respons guys..I'm glad to know that I should not expect volume levels like this on other dvds. It's too bad because i really like The Last Samuri..

Has anybody seen Troy on HD DVD? How is the picture and volume?

What dvds have the best picture?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't have Troy...

King Kong that comes with the HD DVD addon and Batman Begins have some of the best picture quality out there.

I only have about 11 HD DVD's currently and all look better than DVD, some amazingly better, some just better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It has nothing to do with the USB connection. Its a known problem with the add-on that will be fixed in an update as mentioned above. Most movies sound fine, some just need some adjustments to your audio equipment. Hopefully, Microsoft releases the fix soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xombi /forum/post/0

I would definitley not expect the hd-dvd to have great sound when you are running everything through a mini-b usb cable. Yeah. I have to turn all of my movies up too. Oh well.

USB2.0's bandwidth is much, much higher than the data rate coming off the disc. In fact, you should have no problems running the wireless adapter through the HD-DVD drive's USB ports (They've even provided the clip fittings above the ports to do this). The mini connector also should have zero effect as long as the cable is rated for 2.0.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Right now to combat the DD issues, I'm simply playing movies back in 5-channel stereo, the plus is I never have a problem understanding dialog which I do have issues with sometimes with surround sound. This isn't to be confused with early HD DVD releases which had low level sound issues right on the platter.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd /forum/post/0

WTF is up with audio on this HD DVD drive!? Right now I am disappointed but more so confused.

I went out and bought it today with the CC coupon so the price was right. I also bought The Last Samuri. Kong sounds fine but what the hell is wrong with the audio on The Last Samuri? Lets put it this way, I play video games and watch t.v on volume 5 or 6. Last Samuri doesn't sound normal until I crank it up to 50!! Maybe this is just the dvd but should I expect this with other dvds as well? If so, this thing is going back.

I have no surround sound at the moment so it is outputting digital stereo through my t.v.I really want to like this and keep it but I am bumming.

Does anyone know why the volume is so bad on this DVD??????

This is an known issue for 2-3 of the frist HDDVD releases. Last Samurai and Phantom of the Opera, I think there is one more but I can't remember what is was.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The problem with the audio is dynamic range compression on the DD+ soundtracks. Dolby True HD is fine.

This was apparent to me the other night when we watched MI:3 and Superman Returns. The DD+ on MI:3 was terrible compared to Superman Returns and the Dolby True HD track.

A fix is in the works according to M$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.