AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid I already know the answer to this question but I might as well fire away. I live in Dekalb, IL...its about 50 miles due west of Chicago...can anyone tell me with any certainty if I could receive any OTA hdtv signals from any type of antennae...no one in this god forsaken town seems to know...Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I do not see any reason why you shouldnt be able to pick them up. If I am not mistaken, most transmit from the Sears tower, and your area is not overly blocked by high hills and ridges, if I remember my trips through there (Im originally from Milwaukee).

I would say if you can pick up the OTA analog broadcasts ghost and snow free now, you should be able to get the digital ones as well.

You have 6 digital stations on the air now. All are UHF

------------------

SVR-2000 2.0 130 hrs

HDR-112 2.0 14 hrs

REplay 3020 20 hrs

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Go to antennaweb.com and supply your address details, and you will get an idea of what type of antenna you will need to pull the signals in.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Jaholibop,

If you want HD go for Canadian Dss. Cheap, easy, reliable. Most of the US HD network stuff. Ocassional movies, Sopranos, no problem with reception. Art

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great responses guys...I've tried several of the indoor antennae from Radio Shack and various other places...I guess hd is going to require me to beg my landlord for an outdoor antennae...hmmm I think a bribe is going to be in order

Thanks again..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing Im concerned about most is that Im going to need to try several if not many antennaes before I find out which one will work best and be the least intrussive to my other neighbors in the ajoining apartments. So I don't think a mail order antennae is going to be my best option as of yet...There are exactly two stores in Dekalb that sell antennaes (aside from Radio Shack) and neither has any experience with hd installations...oh well..I guess its up to me...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I live in Mundelein (about 40 miles Northwest of Chicago) and pull in all the digital stations at 100% signal strength so I think you should be able to do almost as well. I have a Terk TV-55 antenna in my attic.

A lot of members of this forum seem to hate Terk antennas (they say they are crap, overpriced, etc.) but I have had very good performance with this antenna especially considering it size.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Apparently you rent, since you have a landlord, but you dont say if its a house or an apartment. Do you have an attic you can install an antenna in? If so, you have several choices. While you will get a much better signal outside on the roof, since your area is pretty far from the transmitters, and they are all in the same direction, and nothing local to overload an amp, you should be good to go with an amplified directional uhf only antenna in your attic, if you have one. Since you can return Radio Shack antennas that do not work, I suggest you try their UHF only yagi antenna U120, which should fit in an attic, and if you need to, you can add an amplifier to that. Then, depending on the results, you would either be fine, or know much better what type antenna you need to go to from there.

------------------

SVR-2000 2.0 130 hrs

HDR-112 2.0 14 hrs

REplay 3020 20 hrs

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I ordered my Channel Master 4228a from Warren Electronics, which I think has a store in your area -- they're based in Illinois. They probably also carry the 4221 model, which might work. I get nine new channels from 45 miles away, though none digital. Overall, I was very happy with the company.

If you hate where you love, the local station that's been pushing the fact that they have HD on the air has apparently pulled their transmitter off the air. When I called them to find out when they were broadcasting, they said they weren't and that it was going to be a while. They're one of the 180 or stations listed as being on the air...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
J-

I live in an area with perfect line of sight to our transmitters, 40 miles away. Not one single Rat Shack antenna worked, even their top of the line models. Then I tried some of the antennas at starkelectronic.com. Even their $15 Hovermann pulled in all nine digital stations with signal strengths in the high 80's to mid-90's. So don't let your experience with their products discourage you from trying other antennas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.