AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I'm looking at TVs in the 34-36 inch range. I realize everyone has their opinion, but I'm interested in hearing those opinions. Right now I'm leaning toward a 36" Sony Wega. One problem is that the TV needs to fit in the cutout over my fireplace. It measures 39" wide, 29.5" tall, and a depth of 26". Let me hear your opinions. I have $1000. Thank you.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
All the 36" 4:3 sets I see are at least 30.5" H and the cheapest Sony WEGA 36" is around $1200, analog set. The 34" widescreen HD sets might fit since they aren't as high but these cost closer to $2000.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Lenny,

If you want HD, I would consider waiting. The cost of an HD set (especially 34-36"), a DTV tuner, satellite (if desired), antenna, etc. will set you back well more than $1,000. Although a respectable set can be had for mid-1000s, these generally do not have built in HD tuners which run a few hundred dollars.

If you are looking to buy now, you should browse local stores for open box/returned items. You may be able to get a substantial discount that could bring the total investment close to $1,000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the responses. Maybe I will wait for the prices to come down a little. Does anyone have an educated guess as to how fast the prices will be coming down in the next couple months? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Lenny,

If you want HD, I would consider waiting. The cost of an HD set (especially 34-36"), a DTV tuner, satellite (if desired), antenna, etc. will set you back well more than $1,000. Although a respectable set can be had for mid-1000s, these generally do not have built in HD tuners which run a few hundred dollars.

If you are looking to buy now, you should browse local stores for open box/returned items. You may be able to get a substantial discount that could bring the total investment close to $1,000.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will most likely not see a price drop of that signifiance. Most HD sets are still considered Mid-High end which generally has a price point of above $1200. If you want to lower your measurement to 27" you should be able to achive the $1000 dollar price point.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The biggest HD set you could get for under $1000 is the Samsung 30" 16:9 or 32" 4:3 set. At Best Buy or Sears it is sometimes on sale for $899.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.