AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 weeks before I ditch my 3DTV for a OLED 77'' TV permanently. Which 3D films should I temporarily abandon the format (probably for a year or two, until I've moved house and can afford a JVC projector).

I've seen so far:

House of Magic
Jurassic Park World (well as much as I could bare)
Coco
Titanic
Tangled
Ghost in the shell
Gravity
Lion King
Rise of the Guardians
Lego Batman
Frozen
Frozen II
Life of Pi ( well watching it tonight)

Any other must-watch 3D Films that I've left out? Preferably also good films as I felt like I wasted my time a bit with House of Magic lol.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
So I have 2 weeks before I ditch my 3DTV for a OLED 77'' TV permanently. Which 3D films should I temporarily abandon the format (probably for a year or two, until I've moved house and can afford a JVC projector).

I've seen so far:

House of Magic
Jurassic Park World (well as much as I could bare)
Coco
Titanic
Tangled
Ghost in the shell
Gravity
Lion King
Rise of the Guardians
Lego Batman
Frozen
Frozen II
Life of Pi ( well watching it tonight)

Any other must-watch 3D Films that I've left out? Preferably also good films as I felt like I wasted my time a bit with House of Magic lol.
Why are you hung up on a JVC projector? There are a lot of Optoma and Benq projectors that surpass JVC and much cheaper.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you hung up on a JVC projector? There are a lot of Optoma and Benq projectors that surpass JVC and much cheaper.
I'd want the projector to function for 2D films and I'm a sucker for black levels. I've previously owned an Epson 6050UB.

Could be interested in a cheap 3D projector though to keep me going. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'd want the projector to function for 2D films and I'm a sucker for black levels. I've previously owned an Epson 6050UB.

Could be interested in a cheap 3D projector though to keep me going. Any suggestions?
All you need for 3D is a 1080p projector. Depending on the screen size, brightness will be important of course. That said, the three I would recommend are the Optoma HD146X, Optoma HD39Darbee or the BenQ MH535FHD(or MH585-updated model). The Darbee is a sharpness/detail processor that gives almost a 4K image. The BenQ has great contrast. All in a decent price range that won't break the bank. These are all bright projectors that handle 3D better than most for the price.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you need for 3D is a 1080p projector. Depending on the screen size, brightness will be important of course. That said, the three I would recommend are the Optoma HD146X, Optoma HD39Darbee or the BenQ MH535FHD(or MH585-updated model). The Darbee is a sharpness/detail processor that gives almost a 4K image. The BenQ has great contrast. All in a decent price range that won't break the bank. These are all bright projectors that handle 3D better than most for the price.

Thanks, I'll look into them but I'm not sure if I'll find the black level and contrast acceptable.

Are any of those significantly better than or match the Epson 6050UB's 3D performance?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I had the 6040UB for a while, but 3D wasn't bright enough and too much crosstalk for me. My suggestions are not on the same level as the 6050ub and 1/3rd the price. The ones I mention are DLPlink 3D with no crosstalk, and they handle 3D with good brightness. What screen size do you have?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the 6040UB for a while, but 3D wasn't bright enough and too much crosstalk for me. My suggestions are not on the same level as the 6050ub and 1/3rd the price. The ones I mention are DLPlink 3D with no crosstalk, and they handle 3D with good brightness. What screen size do you have?

Only 100 inches. I agree, I found the 3D not bright enough on my 6050UB.

The Darbee suggestion sounds excellent. I could sell my HW40Es to try and partly fund it. Only upsetting thing is I will need to buy new glasses :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Bob in your opinion, whats the best 3D projector you've experienced for the money?
I do have an ALR screen which should help with the contrast of these projectors too :)

I will be using a 77'' oled for HDR/SDR content so this will be a 3D only projector. 95'' screen I think. Throw distance 2.8m.
main concern is my ceiling mount means projector is ceiling mounted very close to wall.. so ideally I will need lens shift. my sony hw40es lens shift is JUST about enough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What will happen to your actual 3DTV? You will sell it?
will move outside of the home cinema room (away from the audio system).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pretty much any recently animated film is a good choice (or the series, like Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Secret Life of Pets). More recently probably worth wrapping up the end tail of the Marvel films as generally all of the conversions have been pretty good (ie Infinity War, Endgame, Dr Strange, Thor 3 and Spiderman). You could also throw in a few of the standalone releases like Alita, Pikachu, Godzilla etc or series like The Hobbit or Star Wars - Cinemablend has a review list here so generally you could focus on anything above 25 (out of 35, anything above 30 is well worth considering), so for example Hugo got 35/35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts