AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to this forum and recently received about 35k to spend on a complete theater system. I have a 3 car garage to work with. The room size is about 30' by 17'. I like to know what would you guys buy for this project. Right now im thinking of getting the DLP projector setup and 7.1 theater system. I have installed home theater systems before but nothing high end and this costly. One of my friends works at sound advice he said he can hook me up with all the components but i like to have your advice. Also does anyone know where a cheap place to get fiber optic stars and acoustic panels? Im going to be doing searches through this site but if anyone can list their personal favorit product number it would help me out with my searching.. Thanks alot

·
Registered
41 Posts
congrats on your lovely windfall.....

you can save yoruself a buck or 3 ,,

you can make your own acoustic panels, and in many shapes to your preference.there are a lot of things when DIYing , you can do i think way beeter than just paying someone for it ,,

main issue,, the room's acoustics,, hardly anyone pays enough $$( you can do it very economically) and attention at this ,, and i have seen quite a few "high end" systems sound suffer for it ,, IE, excessive echo,reverb,, bass nodes , severe high / low freqency cut off,,, yadda ,, yadda,,

also , since you have installed systems before,, i would consider doing most the work your self,, investing a 'lil bit of "sweat equity " no , will save you more money on getting "higher end" products.

i have issues with companies that call themselves "hidher end" , they seem to have the mindset , that also carriesw to the consumers, that if you prcie it exspensive, and call it what ever,, that it is the best in the word if you had paid top $$ for it,, not true,,

but , if you research your products well, and are willing to get a lil dirty,, you will recoup then best rewards and benefits,, plus you will (might) learn a a thing or 2 more, in the end i think that is worth it ,,,

as always ,, this is my opinion, you might get even better advice,, any way ,, it is your dollar...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Dhwu,

Head over to the home theater building forum . People there are doing exactly what you're looking for and there's a wealth of information on building a home theater the right way, including recommendations for equipment.

-Rob-

·
Registered
318 Posts
You have a fair amount of money to spend and you should be able to get yourself a really nice system. Just be careful and research anything that you do buy. A lot of the so called Hi-end companies have a high price tag, but in reality you can get more bang for the buck if you do a little digging. For speakers, I recommend the BIC line, they are not the most expensive, but they sure are nice. There are plently of other higher priced speakers that you can get into that have a little more performance than the BIC line though.

For subwoofers, I would definately check out SVS. You will not find a better performaning sub for the price anywhere.

If you are looking to go the projector route then just have a look at the projector forums. There is plenty of information on any type of projector you can think of.

Have fun and be sure to post some pics!

·
Registered
210 Posts
BIC? Come on. Triads at a minimum. You can get BIC from any distributor in this business. His budget is 35k not 3500.

I second the acoustical treatments.

Do your research and compare compare compare!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dhwu, start with the environment. Concrete floors and sheetrock walls are not going to sound pretty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently helped my friend put together a theater that cost just about half of your budget. The one component that I was absolutely blown away with was our speaker selection. We did a 5.1 setup with Klipsch's flagship reference series (2RF-7 floorstanders, 1 RF-C center channel, 2 RS-7 surrounds, and the RSW-15 subwoofer). I got a great deal on all of them at around $5k. You could add 2 more RS-7's to make yours 7.1. As for video, we wanted the best picture we could get on a big screen, but didn't like front projection because it's just not up to the picture level we wanted, so we ended up with Sony's 60" SXRD 1080p rear projection set. We were interested in JVC's new 1080p line, but they never came out with them when they said they would. just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congrats on your cash flow first of all. Having built a dedicated room in a one car detatched garage and building my second in my new home in a my attached two care garage (I have a 2 car detatched as well no code issues). My first advice would be to spend at least half of that on the room. Plan out everything. Make lists and drawings. Run wires for everything even if you even if you don't have it. Run conduit for all audio gear wires(you will thank me for this latter). Buy used audio equipment off of audiogon and build your own speaker I recommend Northcreek personally (very high quality DIY). Don't get sucked into name brand as it doesn't mean much in most cases. There is so much I can say but most of all take your time research and ask questions. Building a dedicated room is allot of fun and if you do it all or almost all of it yourself people will say YOU DID ALL OF THIS. Great satisfaction!

Oh one more thing lighting, lighting via remote and drop down screen if you go that route are big coolness factors. :)

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
And they said those emails from that guy in Nigeria were a scam!

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whphel
"And they said those emails from that guy in Nigeria were a scam!"

What does that mean?
Hello Sir or Madam,

My name is Prince Abubu of the country of Krazwakiztanimania. I would like to put $200 trillion into your account and give you $50billion of it for your time and trouble. All we need from you is your personal account information, social security number, first-born son's name, and wife's bra size.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I third and fourth room treatments and lighting. A decent system in a well treated room will sound better than higher performance system in a crappy room.

Is there budget for a wet bar, disco ball, and vertical brass pole on a stage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.