AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,477 Posts
You may have TIR (temporary image retention) but you do not have burn in.

Are you talking about the sides being darker than the center when black is being displayed in the center (eg between commercials or when there is a lot of black being displayed in a scene? If this is what you are seeing, you need calibrate your set and adjust black level. If you have an adjustable backlight, try turning it down. If you have INHD, they display several test patterns early Sun mornings. If you adjust your set to these settings you will have much deeper blacks and I suspect the 'bars' will disappear.

Do you see black bars on the sides when you display a full screen picture? If not, then you do not have TIR.

· Registered
735 Posts
Maybe not. Is the "bar" data based, meaning is it on the screen?? Or is it behind the screen. If one of the backlights (there are 16 or more, across the back of the display, like a ladder) are dead it will appear as a dark band about .75 inches wide, across the entire display. You can this on a black screen.

If it is data based, put up your on-screen menu. Is the image of the menu still showing the problem. I ask this because the menu is a digital image created from within the TV's video processor board. It is pure data. If the menu looks good and the rest of the screen shows the anomally, then it is input based from the cable or other video feeds. Garbage in, garbage viewed.

Just a thought.

DB

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The middle of the screen is lighter then the bars on the side from 4:3 bars. You can only notice when the whole screen is black or just one side. All I can think is wacth lots of 16:9

and hope the bars catch up to the middle. Will that work?

other ideals?

· Registered
2,477 Posts
If it is TIR then it can work. However I don't think there is anything wrong with your set.

When you watch something in 16:9 do you notice that the sides are darker? If you don't see it then, you don't have TIR.

I noticed on my set, before I adjusted the black level, that the center portion of the screen would be lighter (when viewing a black screen in 4:3. Once I adjusted the brightness control and the back light it evened out.

LCDs are not like plasmas. There is nothing to catch up. Image retention is a condition where the pixels fail to unwind.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo /forum/post/0

If it is TIR then it can work. However I don't think there is anything wrong with your set.

When you watch something in 16:9 do you notice that the sides are darker? If you don't see it then, you don't have TIR.

I noticed on my set, before I adjusted the black level, that the center portion of the screen would be lighter (when viewing a black screen in 4:3. Once I adjusted the brightness control and the back light it evened out.

LCDs are not like plasmas. There is nothing to catch up. Image retention is a condition where the pixels fail to unwind.

Whats TIR? I had my contrast almost maxed

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/0

By bars, so you mean black fillers that are used on a 16:9 TV to fill the gap not used by a 4:3 picture? Or do you have banding or severe image retention? Do you have a Sharp LCD by and chance?

Yes thats the problem the bars are darker, and its a LG LCD.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
but which bars? I have 3 different bar types listed above. I assume you mean that there are two black bars on the left and right of the screen. If so, there is nothing wrong with your TV. You just need to feed it an HD 16:9 signal. Your problem will be solved.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

but which bars? I have 3 different bar types listed above. I assume you mean that there are two black bars on the left and right of the screen. If so, there is nothing wrong with your TV. You just need to feed it an HD 16:9 signal. Your problem will be solved.

No, where the side bars are for 4:3, they look darker then the middle on 16:9

when a dark scene shows. Because only the middle was played in 4:3 the side bars seem left behind, as in have more life so they look darker with a line .

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

Sounds like you have image retention. Watch more HD and strech/zoom all of your 4:3 programming to 16:9 for a week or so, then report back and tell us if the problem has gone away.

I have been doing that all night, should i turn the contrast up or down?

thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.