Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reccomendations?

Polk will give away a sub when you spend over $500. Crutchfield has some good prices on their equipment.

Also, I have about $400 budgeted for Receiver and DVD Player. Any suggestions?

I will appreciate any suggestions.

TV 57SWX

Room 15X15--fairly acousticaly harsh (plenty of tile and a big brick chimney)

Hugh

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Energy Take 5.2, perhaps?

Nice sounding for the price...

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Hugh, that's got to be one tough room (W=L, and tile is no friend of sound). I have spanish tile in my basement, and just about every speaker I've had down there sounds pretty harsh. Them's the breaks, though...

I would second the vote to look at the Energy Take 5.2. It can be had for $600 if you shop around and I think a lot of people would agree that it's the setup to beat at this price point. Still, speakers are like wine, so I'd strongly urge you to demo some different options if at all possible.

As for the receiver, I'm a big fan of Denon's entry-level stuff. The AVR-1403 can be had for about $230, so I'd take a look at it.

For the DVD player, it's all but impossible to beat the Panasonic RP82 in terms of bang for the buck...but it's going to run you $200-220 or so, which could put you over your budget. The Panasonic RP62 lacks the RP82's improved MPEG2 decoder, but it can be had for about $160 and it maintains most of the excellent qualities of the RP82 (no chroma bug!).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with some people at Crutchfield and in my budget they reccomended;

Front and Surround Yamaha NS6390 (3-Way) $99 pair

Center Yamaha NSAC40X $149

Sub Yamaha YSTSW205 150watts 23-20,000Khz $229

I'll look into the Denon. My TV is the Hitachi 57SWX20B which is supposed to de-interlace very well, I'm wondering if a progressive scan player is worth it?

Hugh

I can get a Polk system for about the same money if I use the R20s

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
If you are looking at the Yamaha speakers system I would strongly recommend you take a listen to the JBL NSP1 speaker system which you can get online from several places or from Harman audio's factory outlet on Ebay refurbished for around $200 (need to add a sub).

They sound much better than the Yamaha's to my ears...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Be sure to consider the Athena Point 5 system ( www.athenaspeakers.com ). I have one and am very pleased with it. Athena's are from the same company that makes Energy and Mirage. The stand-out feature of the Athena line is the SCT technology that "blends" the subwoofer with the other 5 speakers. You basically flip a switch on the subwoofer to activate the SCT mode and it automatically engages a special filter designed to match with the rest of the system (i.e. no need to mess around with different crossover settings). Very good reviews from the all major sound magazines. List price is $800, but if you call around you can get it for under $600. Onecall.com has a special now. $750 gets you the Point 5 system and an Onkyo or Sony receiver.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I went with the Onkyo SR500 first. It's a nice unit, but I really wanted a 6.1 setup so I sold the Onkyo and bought a Pioneer VSX-D811S. For the Onecall.com deal, you can definitely call them up and work out a deal for a better receiver. Before you choose though, I would recommend that you do a seach here at avsforum for the various discussion threads on budget receivers. I think the general opinion is that the there are better receivers for the price (e.g. the D811S) than the SR500.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For a newbie like me I'm trying to figure out which of the two choices is better (in case I don't like the offer on the panny). It looks like the Sony has the higher power rating, and I don't know if the Virtual Matrix is worth anything or not. I understand that quality of power supply is more important than quantity but I don't know anything about receivers really. Due to my near complete lack of time before I buy this system I won't be able to do any personal sampling.

Hugh

Sony

Boasting 100 Watts x 5 and 100 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms, this receiver features a 5.1-channel input for new high-resolution multi-channel audio sources such as SACD, Virtual Matrix 6.1

Onkyo

With five channels each capable of continuously delivering 65 Watts RMS into 6 Ohms, and Onkyo's Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT), the TX-SR500 delivers clean, high-current power from 10Hz all the way out to 100 kHz

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody? Sony or Onkyo?

Onkyo TXSR500

With five channels each capable of continuously delivering 65 Watts RMS into 6 Ohms, and Onkyo's Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT), the TX-SR500 delivers clean, high-current power from 10Hz all the way out to 100 kHz

Sony STRDE885B

Boasting 100 Watts x 5 and 100 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms, this receiver features a 5.1-channel input for new high-resolution multi-channel audio sources such as SACD, Virtual Matrix 6.1

The Sony also has multiple video inputs to allow the receiver to be used for switching in place of the TV. Is this really valuable? It seems unecessary to me sinc the Hitachi already has plenty of inputs and can be customized on that basis.

Also,

I can't find aybody who sells the RP82 yet. Am I looking in the wrong place?

If it isn't out yet I'll probably just get the RP62. Any real reason not to?

Hugh

Please forgive the repost so quickly but I'm trying to make a decision today as I'm out of town for the next week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Panasonic RP82 is definitely available. I got mine at Crutchfield.com for just over $200 last month. Very nice single-disc DVD player. I have not yet tried out the DVD-Audio option.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IS the 82 worth the extra cash (only $50) over the 62? Why?

I'm only really interested in DVD capability.

Thanks.

Hugh

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hugh,

I went with the Atenna deal at Onecom. I spoke with Jason and substituded the receiver with the Yamaha 5060 (six channel amp) for a few bucks more.

My floor is wood laminate, but the Atenna speakers sound quite sweet.

I also got the Panasonic RP82 dvd player from them. Exellent service from Onecom. For the $ this system is hard to beat!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just went with the OneCall deal and upgraded to the Pioneer VSX-D811S for $35 extra and a RP62 for $159.

All told with delivery

Athena Point 5 System

Pioneer VSX-D811S

DVD-RP62

Delivered $1041.2

One Call Deal Link http://ww2.onecall.com/SPL_647.htm

To One Call's credit everything was in stock, Brian was very helpful and willing to deal, and they expect me to get it Thursday. I'll post when the system if finally set-up.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Great Site

Hugh

·
Registered
60 Posts
You may want to check out the Axiom Epic Micro system ( Review ). It is compared very favorably with the Energy Encore system in the previous review and from what I have read is a *great* system. My father has a set of Axiom speakers and has been *very* happy with them.

The regular retail for the system is $869.But you can get it for ~US$590 shipped from Marc at Audioshop CA . To further sweeten the deal Axiom is offering $50 back on any purchase over $500 until Dec 18 if you are a member of their newsletter (See $50 off announcement) . That would further take the cost down to ~$540.

From my experience Marc will give you very honest advise AND he carries the Energy 5.2 (which you were previously interested in) and hte Axiom lines so he should be able to help you with an honest comparison.

The Axiom Epic Micro system is at *least* worth a serious look in your price range.

Matthew

·
Registered
674 Posts
So you have $1+ a bit K for:

DVD Player

Interconnects

Reciever

5 speakers

1 sub

speaker wire

shipping

*checks* oh, already bought... You got *athenas*? O...K... Hmm.. You did know that Rocket was coming out with a nice ELT system?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hugh,

Looks like you did great!!! I KNOW you'll enjoy your new system.

Once Onecall sends you email confirmation, they will also provide you

with a tracking #. That's part of the fun, following your system until they

get it trucked to your home!

Hugh in Arlington TX

·
Registered
365 Posts
Excellent choice. Just some suggestions for configuration:

1) On the Pioneer, set all the speakers to "large" (i.e. FL-CL-SL)

2) On the P.5, I have the subwoofer level set to "4" and "audio" mode with SCT S.5 mode "on". This works well with my 20' x 20' room.

3) My 4 S.5's seemed to all play at ever-so-slightly different volumes. It took me a few days to match the lefts and rights volume-wise, but I've got them perfectly matched now.

4) For speaker wire, I went with 14 gauge Liberty wire, but cheap wire will also work fine until you want to upgrade.

For future upgrades down the road, you might consider:

1) Upgrade the center channel to an Athena C.1 and move the C.5 to the rear for a nice 6.1 configuration.

2) Get the S.5 speaker stands. I got two pairs for $180. They are very heavy solid metal stands that raise the speakers about 3 feet.

3) Add an Outlaw ICBM-1 for advanced bass management. I have the Pioneer connected via pre-outs to the Outlaw which is then connected to the subwoofer. My ICBM is set to have all the bass below 120hz redundantly sent to the subwoofer.

Have fun with your new home theater.

csv96

Quote:
Originally posted by hpalmer
I just went with the OneCall deal and upgraded to the Pioneer VSX-D811S for $35 extra and a RP62 for $159.

Athena Point 5 System

Pioneer VSX-D811S

DVD-RP62

Delivered $1041.2

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CSV96

Thanks for the tips. We'll be setting it up this weekend.

As far as speaker stands go I've got a one year old who worships electronics and doesn't seem to mind breaking them in the process so the speakers will be mounted out of reach on the wall as will the components.

If the center is on the wall behind and above(only slightly) the TV, is this a problem? The sides will also be mounted on the wall at the same height.

Were you happy with the jump to 6.1? I've heard mixed reviews on how beneficial it is.

I have a handheld sound meter from Radio Shack that I'll use to balance all the speakers with Avia.

Hugh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.