I have found a fix for the lg hdtv problem where the standby light flashes on and off and the tv won't turn on. I developed this for my own tv. If anyones interested in a tutorial, I'll post it, but I don't want to make a tutorial that nobody will use
First Fix: Post 14
Second Fix: reverse the digits of the First Fixes post number
( Post 41)
Since no one seems to see the 2nd tutorial I'll post it here along with the 1st:
Things you need (first fix):
1. A null modem serial cable.
2. A pc with a serial port.
3. A terminal emulator (google "ZOC terminal emulator").
4. A firmware / epk file for your tv (Search for "north american epk" or something like that with this forums search function).
The first fix involves performing these steps:
1. Connect your tv and pc together with the null modem cable
2. Open zoc or another terminal emulator(I think zoc is the easiest)
3. select "serial / modem from the 3rd dropdown box from the top and press configure.
4. press scan then select "9600" as your speed "8N1", "RTS signal off", "CTR signal off" and uncheck "cd signal is valid".
5. press ok and then press connect.
6. turn your tv on and quickly tap the escape key on your keyboard until "mstar#" comes up in the terminal.
7. press enter once then type "swuz"(the command to load the firmware).
8. Select the epk file you downloaded earlier when a window comes up and press enter.
9. If you did everthing right the firmware should start uploading to the tv. It will take a while so do something else while your waiting.
10. Once it finshes uploading wait for the messages to stop and the "mstar#" text to come up. then type "reboot".
11: If the red light turns on but there is no response from the tv, proceed to the 2nd tutorial.
12. If everything went right your tv should boot up. You'll need to fix the settings in the service menu to their orignal values. Do that before anything else.
13. Your done! Use your tv!
(Currently only tested for LCD)
What you need:
1. 2 10kohm resistors( 1/2 watts from radioshack should work)
2. A screw driver(duh)
1. Open the tv (simply remove the stand and all outer screws)
2. Once opened find the flat cable connecting the brown board (Power Supply) to the green board (Mainboard) directly next to
3.Disconnect the cable at the power supply (Not the mainboard)
4.Insert one lead of BOTH 10k resistors in the top of the connectors socket that relates to the 5v pin (displayed on the power board).
5.Take one of the remaining leads and insert it in the pwr_on pin and the other in the inv_on pin (need to confirm this is the exact name of the pin.).
Do this, like before, on the top of the conector where the wires come out.
6.Reconnect the connector back to the power supply ensuring the resistors have electrical contact with the each pin.
7. Plug in and turn the tv on. If it powers up normally you can reassemble the outer shell and enjoy your newly fixed tv!(Don't forget to change the entries in the service menu back to their defaults)
8. If it doesn't (or partially) work you may have other problems lurking within your tv unrelated to this tutorial and may or or may not be fixable.
Hope this helps someone!