Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya Folks,

Long time lurker here....I still have not saved up the cash to get my own setup (read: no courage to ask wife), but I have convinced a friend to go the FP route.

He went to the local (we live in a very small town in KY, so limited selection) Electronics store and the sales guy is going to sell him an InFocus Screenplay 110 for $2050.00.

I have not seen much discussion on this PJ as compared to the z1/x1/hs10 ...yadda yadda yadda....

Do you guys think this is a good deal on a decent projector? Just want to make sure he does not buy something he regrets 3 months down the road.

I really enjoy all the posts....its fun to read about your setups....maybe one day Ill have my own....

:)

Thanks,

Cipro

·
Registered
96 Posts
Of all the "long time lurkers" I know, none of them would pay 2 grand for a Screenplay 110 when they know they can get a better projector for less, right?

·
Registered
454 Posts
When I was looking a local dealer was talking in the $3500(USD) range for one of these. Whether or not it's worth it I can't say. Check the specs at infocus.com.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cmoore & bholio,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I know a great deal of people come in here and ask a question, expect people to do all the research then never give back.....

Im just trying to help a friend from making a mistake.

I will make sure he checks out the X1 and the Z1.....

Any specific reasons why the Screenplay 110 is not up to snuff?

Thanks,

Cip

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:

Any specific reasons why the Screenplay 110 is not up to snuff?

Go to projectorcentral.com and read the review for the Screenplay 110 then read the reviews for X1, Z1 and Panasonic PT-L300. These write-ups should give you a pretty good frame of reference. I remember the LS110 having a light spill issue out the front that Evan Powell (the reviewer) noted as being fairly bad for a projector for theater use. They may have updated the unit to fix that by now. I think for today's market the clear cut winner right at the 2 grand level is the PT-L300. But don't listen to me, I own one and wouldn't trade it for a bushel of LS-110's.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cmoore: Thanks....I will do that right away.

Have a great day!

Cip

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Every PJ has it's trade offs. I've had an LS110 to play with in the past. It does have quite a bit of light spill. Would be bothersome if PJ is mounted in front of viewing area. From behind you it wouldn't be that noticeable. It is pretty similar to the Piano but brighter. I didn't have one here when I did a comparison of PJ's but a lot of the features of the Piano would be similar. Search my name for the comparison.

Bob

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Here's my experience. My wife and I viewed the 110 back in December or January at my local dealer. He still wanted like $5500 for it then. So sounds like the price is good anyway. However, we both saw lots of rainbows and weren't impressed with the pq. I subsequently bought the Panny 300 and think the pq is much much better. I'd still rather have my Panny for $1850 than the 110 for $2K. But tell him to make sure he sees at least one DLP and one LCD pj. To me the pictures are very different and I prefer an LCD image, but it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
454 Posts
2K for the 110 is a good deal. It has a nice sharp image, HD looks great even at it's resolution, and the rainbows are much better than the slower speed color wheel pj's. If it has the full warranty, updated software and powersupply then I'd go for it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I agree that 2k is not too bad of a deal for the LS110. It's a nice projector with very good connectivity options including HDCP. Picture quality is very good too for its resolution as long as you're not rainbow susceptible. The entire package is sleek and well built, although front-ward light spill is definitely significant.

The thing that turned me off from the LS110 was the fact that it is at heart a 4:3 DLP (even with it's dual-mode chip). If you are like me and primarily will be viewing widescreen material, you will see a significantly annoying excess illumination of the area around the top and bottom of the screen. That means a portion of the wall OFF THE SCREEN will be illuminated (in the case of a 16:9 screen). This phenomenon is due to the unused portion of the DLP matrix which is unable to completely turn away from the light source. This effect is very much reduced in subsequent generations of DLP chips (HD2 Mustang, etc).

I would view the projector yourself and decide how annoyed you are by the above. Otherwise, 2k isn't a bad deal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks guys and gals....

He is now going to get to demo and we will look for those problems...

He is getting the discounts because the supplier is going to be demoing this during our local Parade of Homes, he is getting several other items at cost or near to it including labor so he has to tread lightly with the dealer.....

Thanks for all your suggestions.....

Cipro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.