AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Philips HTS3400 system. I do not really like this receiver, and would like to upgrade it, keeping the current current speakers and adding two more. I would like a system set up so I can run all of my equipment through the receiver into the TV. Things I would like to run through the receiver are PS3 (HDMI), DVD Player (HDMI), Wii (Component), and Cable (Component). I want to have just one HDMI Cable going from the Receiver to the TV. Can anyone recommend a receiver and speakers that I could use to complete a 7.1 system? Would it be cheaper just to start over? Can I use the speakers I already have with another system? The wires going into the receiver are color coded and when I look at the back of receivers in stores they will not fit in the connections? Can I just take the end of the speakers wires off and hook them directly up to a different receiver? Thank you for any answers and/or recommendations.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You could probably use the speakers with another stand alone receiver by stripping the connections, it's not advisable due to the quality of HITB speakers and you'd need to check the specs for their Ohm rating, if it's 6 or 8 they should work but if you do use them I would consider it a temporary path to upgrading them later.

Whether you could use the sub would depend on it being powered or not. Alot of HTIB systems come with passive subs that won't connect to another receiver. If the sub pulgs into the wall separately and has a subwoofer input(rca type) connection you should be able to use it with another receiver.

For a receiver you you'll need one that has HDMI audio capabilities as well as video. The Onkyo 605 is a great budget minded receiver with full HDMI processing.

Honestly I would recommend selling or auctioning the Phillips system and get whatever you can out of it, in the end you're going to want to replace every component it came with anyway. If you want a good htib solution for replacement the Onkyo 908 system includes better speakers than you have, includes a powered subwoofer and the Onkyo 605 reciever included.

hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts