AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put up a New 50" S2 just a few minutes ago. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you guys/gals may have. I cant comment on black level just yet. Have to wait for the store to close before I can judge that.

one thing I did notice is a blurr reduction setting. Ill mess with that a bit and see what it does.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Any new user menu options?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/18203847

blur reduction on a 2010 pdp??

Yup... Been messing with it. Cant really see anything different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker /forum/post/18203881

Aside from the blur reduction, nothing else really. It has 3:2 pull down Options like Auto, on and off which I believe was only on the G10. I could be wrong though...

One thing I did notice was the AR filter. It no longer gives the screen a green hue when viewed in rooms with abiant light. Also, with the TV off, I can see a checker board pattern in the AR filter. Odd.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Thanks for posting. Even though I'm mostly interested in the upcoming G and V series I'm curious about the black levelings on the S2 in a dark enviroment. This would give me confidience Panasonic is headed in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojready /forum/post/18205785

the specs on various websites have conflicting info about pc or s-video inputs. does this have either?

Panasonic's website and the S2 Operating Manual both indicate that there is no S-Video input and no PC input. The S1 didn't have a PC input either, but it did have S-video. Guess they dropped S-Video on the S2 as well as the G25.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, Our store put one up yesterday morning. Actually had is mounted next to a 5020 we are selling, it looks good! I am gonna mess with it a bit tomorrow if I get a chance and report back.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojready /forum/post/18205785

the specs on various websites have conflicting info about pc or s-video inputs. does this have either?

There is no PC input on the S series. PC input is only on the G series and up. Not sure about the S-Video inputs.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker /forum/post/18203881

Only different settings I saw were the blur reduction feature which states that it inserts additional subfields for an overall smoother picture. Also, the S2 now has xvColor support which can be turned off or set to auto. I am in the process of finding out how many additional subfields are created when the set has the blur reduction feature turned on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd recommend keeping the blur reduction on off. When on, I feel it gives the 120/240 lcd look to the picture. When off, it gives the standard plasma smoothness

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No S-Video and no PC input.

Also, all the controls on the TV are now on the Left. Nothing on the right for the S2.

The bezel is pretty cool too... The entire bezel has this stitched look to it to reduce glare from the bezel... Works very good too! The bezel on the S1 glares quite a bit compared to the S2...

Kinda looks like this along the entire bezel;

-----------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------

As far as black level in concerned, I didnt have time to do any real comparison in a completely dark room. With low ambient lighting the S1 does seem to still beat the set which crushes my heart... Something tells me its the AR filter though... Again, we all know 09 Samsungs look Different than 09 Pannys as far as AR filters go. The S2 looks like a Sammy filter more than a Panny filter...

I dont know how to really explain other than to take some pictures tomorrow... This will obviously only matter to those who will view the set with some ambient lighting... Other wise, disregard my bickering regarding the AR filter...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBoy2593 /forum/post/18208378

I'd recommend keeping the blur reduction on off. When on, I feel it gives the 120/240 lcd look to the picture. When off, it gives the standard plasma smoothness

Honestly, it doesnt look like Frame Interpolation. Not that I noticed atleast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarling82 /forum/post/18205333

I wasn't aware of any green hue imparted by the AR filter on older models. Could you elaborate on this?

When I look at a Panny with any reflections on it, the reflection is always diffused by a greenish reflection... This isnt apparent on the S2...

·
Banned
215 Posts
I don't hear any bickering you've been helpful. And if you can manage, I'd like to see some photo's if for nothing else a GOOD LOOK of the TV itself.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18206354

Panasonic's website and the S2 Operating Manual both indicate that there is no S-Video input and no PC input. The S1 didn't have a PC input either, but it did have S-video. Guess they dropped S-Video on the S2 as well as the G25.

If I was in the market for a TV today the lack of s-video could be a deal breaker for me. I still have DISH SD as I pick up all the major network HD via antenna with outstanding results and most of the stuff I watch on DISH is SD anyway. I'll probably upgrade to DISH HD or Direct HD eventually but I'm in no hurry. I bought 2 42" Panasonic plasmas for the bedrooms last year and one of the reasons for going with Panasonic over Samsung was that Samsung eliminated the s-video last year.

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts