AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't manufacturers put out smaller (30-36") rear projection sets? The reason I ask is because it would seem to be a good compromise in size/weight for someone who doesn't have room for a 50" rear projection set but also doesn't want to have to move around a 200 lb. CRT. Flat panels are smaller and weight much, much less but are cost prohibitive. It would seem like a smaller tabletop rear projection would be ideal in this situation. Is there something about the technology that prevents them from going smaller? Is it cost prohibitive to make them smaller because they couldn't charge as much for a smaller size?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Staticvision
Quote:
Why don't manufacturers put out smaller (30-36") rear projection sets?
There are many reasons and they don't all have to do with money.

High Definition and Screen Resolution uses a 16:9 screen and what we're moving to 1080P buzzword we hear requires a larger screen for it's impact to be realized fully and to get an Home Theater Feel. There are AV Engineer Types on this forum than may be able to explain it better than I, like ROGO, UCSB, HTWaits and others.

I have a Sharp 32" LCD FP that is fantastic and yes it ran me close to $2K but it's a 16:9 wide screen format and the pricing has dropped significantly on these this year. At 32" 16:9 it blows away the Sony CRT 36" I used to have and awaiting my new 60+" 1080P RPTV.

There are some 37" plasma's from Panasonic that are excellent and priced below $2K. Front and Rear Projection has a target of Professional Displays in business, education, and Home Theater and perhaps it would defeat the purpose and perhaps the profit margins going to small. Several companies will be releasing new types of thin CRT's - a new version of the old bulky CRT DV.

I think several companie make RPTV's in the 42 -46" range. LCD FP will rule in less than 37" and Plasma price reductions may have them rule the 37 - 50" range.

Best Bet with lower Budget is Syntax Olevia, Benq, and Westinghouse LCD FP Units that are becoming mainstream for much less money and decent reviews.JMHO :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Samsung does have a 30" slim tube model, it weighs 120lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that's my point. Samsung has their slimfit CRT's at 30", but the thing still weighs in at 120 lbs. I guess I think it would be "cool" to be able to get a 30-36 16:9 screen with rear projection DLP technology to reduce the weight. Since rear projection seems to cost quite a bit less per inch of screen real estate than flat screen LCD or Plasmas.

I just took a quick scan of what is available at Best Buy for comparison's sake.

The Samsung LNR328W Flat Panel LCD is going for $XXXX

So for the same price I could get Samsung's 50" RP DLP. But my space is too limited for a 50" tv and is still about $1000 over what my budget would allow.

So the ideal solution for me (and I realise I am probably in the vast minority :p) would be a 32" RP DLP that would give me the screen size and over all set size and weight that I need at a cost quite a bit less than plasma or LCD.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think the reason that they don't make projection technology set smaller sets is because they are designed to provide a larger screen size at an affordable price. A 30" hd crt direct view would blow away a 30" lcd/dlp rear projection screen. Then crt's are would also much cheaper when comparing dollar/diagonal inch in size. Who would buy a more expensive set that doesn't look as good as its cheaper counterpart? If there was a 60in directview crt I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have a 60 inch lcdrp that weight about 120lbs but it's still so big you still need two people to move it. I can deal with the weight of the set because I would plan on moving a set that big very often anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
I think the reason that they don't make projection technology set smaller sets is because they are designed to provide a larger screen size at an affordable price. A 30" hd crt direct view would blow away a 30" lcd/dlp rear projection screen. Then crt's are would also much cheaper when comparing dollar/diagonal inch in size. Who would buy a more expensive set that doesn't look as good as its cheaper counterpart? If there was a 60in directview crt I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have a 60 inch lcdrp that weight about 120lbs but it's still so big you still need two people to move it. I can deal with the weight of the set because I would plan on moving a set that big very often anyway.
60" DirectView CRT. I cant even imagine how much that would weigh. If I were to guess though I would say around 500+ lbs.

When my dad purchased a new stand for his 40" DirectView XBR it took 3 of us with veins bulging to move that almost 400 lb TV.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In addition the the new Sony 42" A10 mentioned above, Zenith (LG) has a 44" DLP set with the following dimensions: 39.9"W x 29.0"H x 13.3"D 75.5lbs - and an MSRP of only $1899.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
All they would need to do is do the same thing they do with the huge crt rear projection, put wheels underneath it. I have a 61 in crt rear projection that weighs about 250 lbs and I've moved by myself every single time thanks to the convenient wheels. That 400lb sounds pretty extreme for a 40 in crt directview. I have a 32" direct view that weighs a little less than 200lbs. I'm able to heft it around by myself so I know it can't weigh too much. The biggest thing that makes directview sets so hard to move is the fact that they are too bulky to get a good grip on them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
... I have a 32" direct view that weighs a little less than 200lbs. I'm able to heft it around by myself so I know it can't weigh too much...

:eek: OMG, I bet you think St. Bernard dogs are toy breeds too! :D :D :D

RonC

[BTW, if I ever meet up with a "Bad Guy" in a dark alley, I hope you're with me! LOL!]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
All they would need to do is do the same thing they do with the huge crt rear projection, put wheels underneath it. I have a 61 in crt rear projection that weighs about 250 lbs and I've moved by myself every single time thanks to the convenient wheels. That 400lb sounds pretty extreme for a 40 in crt directview. I have a 32" direct view that weighs a little less than 200lbs. I'm able to heft it around by myself so I know it can't weigh too much. The biggest thing that makes directview sets so hard to move is the fact that they are too bulky to get a good grip on them.

Ya I guess you were right I just looked it up my Fathers XBR only weighs 310 LBS. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
You want to talk about a heavy TV? Try my parents' 36" Mitsubishi. They got it back in 1982, and it's one of those that are meant to be a piece of furnature along with a TV. The exterior is solid oak, and it must weigh like 450 pounds. It's got little tiny casters on the bottom, but they're no help dragging it across the carpet. Solid as a rock, though. It's only been in for repair once in 23 years.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
With technology today they could probably make huger crt's that roll but another thing I just thought of is the front to back distance. It would probably be pretty ridiculous, hence the invention of the projection set allowing for much larger screen sizes with less depth required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.