AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, as i've said before, i'm sourcing out parts to build a new HTPC. so, fan noise is a concern.

it's my first time building a system from scratch. i'm pretty comfortable inside a PC, but this will also be my first P4, so i have nothing to refer to for ventilation/cooling. i don't want the stupid thing to melt down after pouring all that money and time into it.

so here's what i've got:

case is a PSI Digitalis Nexus, ventilation slots along both sides.

i'll be using a P4 2.4C / 800MHz FSB. replacing the stock CPU fan with a Zalman CNPS7000 Al-Cu quiet heatsink fan.

there's only a mount on the left side of the case for a single 80mm fan, so i've got a Vantec Stealth case fan for that.

power supply is a one-fan Zalman ZM400A-APF .

dunno if it'll make a difference, but the video card will be a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Ultimate . mobo will be an Intel D875PBZ .

think that'll suffice?

oh yeah, no overclocking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've built many boxes (although I'm on my 1st HTPC now) and your cooling is gonna be fine. Especially if your not overclocking you should have 0 problems. 9600 pro uses ATIs newer smaller die so less heat there too. You say this is your 1st Intel box, so I can only assume you were building AMD in the past. Good news for you, Intel P4 have thermal shutdown that turns them off before they melt in almost all cases. (Coworker of mine at Dell ran a test system with no heat sink and he managed to fry that sucker). But, as long as you've got a heatsink of some sort on it it will have enough time to shutdown before it gets ugly. Enjoy the HTPC!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply!

actually, i should have specified more clearly. i've never built a PC from scratch, before, Intel or AMD. all i've ever owned/used were Intel boxes... only up to PIIIs, so this will be my first P4, and as such I have no idea what kind of thermal requirements to expect.

another question: should the case fan be used for intake or exhaust?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gongzero

another question: should the case fan be used for intake or exhaust?
For slightly better cooling it would be best to use it as an intake since your power supply fan is already functioning as an exhaust. However, if your more concerned with keeping your system quiet, putting it in the rear would make it seem less noisy than having it in the front where it is closer to you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks.

any other tips? (yes, this would be a bump) ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.