AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yellow tinge at the bottom of the screen and assume that an OB replacement will be in order. My appt. is for this Saturday and wondered if any of the forum members could let me know if the tech that came for their sxrd left the TV in working order until the OB came, this is assuming that he will not have one with him on the initial visit. I don't want to miss the playoffs this weekend since my picture is watchable as it is. I would reschedule if there was a chance of the TV being out of service for an extended period of time. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin S. /forum/post/0

yellow tinge at the bottom of the screen and assume that an OB replacement will be in order. My appt. is for this Saturday and wondered if any of the forum members could let me know if the tech that came for their sxrd left the TV in working order until the OB came, this is assuming that he will not have one with him on the initial visit. I don't want to miss the playoffs this weekend since my picture is watchable as it is. I would reschedule if there was a chance of the TV being out of service for an extended period of time. Thanks for the help.

I think it depends on the technician. I am having green/purple tinge problems with my XBR2. The tech said a replacement of the optical engine is necessary, but took the television back to the shop for additional tests. Another poster on this forum had the same problem, but the tech replaced the optical engine on-site. I do not like the fact I will be without the set for possibly two weeks (depending on availability of the parts), but would rather the repair be done properly and free from cat fur contamination.

·
Banned
33 Posts
the best TV now is the Mitsubishi. It has received the highest rating of any TV...EVER...by CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6531_7-...5.html?tag=dir

You should avoid the SXRD like the plague. The SXRD has a defective design in the light engine which results in a green hazey discoloration normally seen as a donut in the center of the screen, but can exist anywhere. The defect is called the green glob, or green blob. If you do a search on that term in this forum you will quickly come to the right decision.

I had two light engines replaced on my SXRD, before I researched and discovered the design defect. Then i was able to return the set and got something decent, the Mitsubishi 65831, the most highly rated TV ever!

Sony went to SXRD technology as a way to get the pixel lenses closer together to eliminate the screen door effect typical of LCOS. Unfortunately, the engineers forgot about tolerances, temperature effects and the physics of light called refraction. The pixel lense edges, in this defective design, will move in relation to each other due to many reasons, primarily temp expansion/contraction. When this distance is not controlled, the result is light refraction, or bending around these edges and splitting up the color components. The distortion is usually the shape of the chips heat sink which is a round attachment near the center, hence the round donut shaped distortion everyone usually sees.

100% of all SXRD have the defect. Some more pronounced then others. But over time, the Green Glob will ruin your picture. Doesnt matter if its XBR1 or XBR2, if it used SXRD, it has the GREEN GlOB.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani20ox /forum/post/0

the best TV now is the Mitsubishi. It has received the highest rating of any TV...EVER...by CNET.

You should avoid the SXRD like the plague. The SXRD has a defective design in the light engine which results in a green hazey discoloration normally seen as a donut in the center of the screen, but can exist anywhere. The defect is called the green glob, or green blob. If you do a search on that term in this forum you will quickly come to the right decision.

I had two light engines replaced on my SXRD, before I researched and discovered the design defect. Then i was able to return the set and got something decent, the Mitsubishi 65831, the most highly rated TV ever!

Sony went to SXRD technology as a way to get the pixel lenses closer together to eliminate the screen door effect typical of LCOS. Unfortunately, the engineers forgot about tolerances, temperature effects and the physics of light called refraction. The pixel lense edges, in this defective design, will move in relation to each other due to many reasons, primarily temp expansion/contraction. When this distance is not controlled, the result is light refraction, or bending around these edges and splitting up the color components. The distortion is usually the shape of the chips heat sink which is a round attachment near the center, hence the round donut shaped distortion everyone usually sees.

100% of all SXRD have the defect. Some more pronounced then others. But over time, the Green Glob will ruin your picture. Doesnt matter if its XBR1 or XBR2, if it used SXRD, it has the GREEN GlOB.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani20ox /forum/post/0

Thank you. Very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.