AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first want to say is that i bought this tv so i would not see any more black bars! yet star wars still gives me black bars! so does matrix and braveheart and that sucks! also i need advise on getting a decoder! i am wondering if there is a dvi decoder coming out soon and should i wait for that if not what do you guys recommend? i have a sony ks-51 something lol!!! i dont know the model number anyways it retails for 2199 right now. also want is all this thing i hear about tweaking? how do i do that for best picture quality. Also keep in mind i use it to play my xbox and play dvd mostly.

Ps. xbox rocks on hdtv unlike my ps2. what a shame on behalf of sony!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how do i take them black bars off? also whats a good progressive dvd player? i dont own one yet any advice

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm assuming those are "anamorphic DVD's". They are basically modified DVD's (2.35:1 vs. 1.85:1 if I remember correctly) so as to reduce the amount of black on a 4:3 TV.

It absolutely pisses me off when it comes to a widescreen TV. They need to standardize on the full 16x9 and just have those and full screen DVD's.

Let all the dopes that "want to use all of their screen" on a 4:3 TV get the full screen DVD's, don't pander to them with an anamorphic aspect that goes completely against the upcoming standard.

Anyways, I feel your pain. As far as fixing it, some of the zoom modes can fix it, but reduce picture quality.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
102 Posts
The black bars on your widescreen tv are normal. Star Wars was filmed in 2:35.1 which is scope. If you watch movies that are 1:85.1 it will fill your whole screen. It all depends how the movie was filmed. Just be glad its anamorphic because the black bars would be larger. The only way to get rid of them is to use the stretch modes, but sometimes it may make it look funny. Sorry but thats the way it is. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by losse2no1
I first want to say is that i bought this tv so i would not see any more black bars!
Turn off the lights and you can't see them.:)

But seriously folks, people don't complain about different screen ratios in the commercial theatre. Why do you complain about it with home theatre? If you can figure out if it's attitude, darkened room, curtains framing the picture, it's what you're used to, or whatever and change that thing that bothers you, you can have a home theatre experience. A home theatre experience does not include cutting up the picture.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Cutting a 2.35:1 movie down to 16:9 is akin to cutting 16:9 movies down to 4:3 Pan and Scan. Neither are acceptable.

I do worry about 2.35:1 burn in on screen but keeping your set properly set should minimize any issues (for everything I've read).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.