AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got excited hearing about Joe's DILA and want to learn more. I want HDTV capability of course. I will sit about 11.5 feet away and would use the set for movies and sports. My wife wants to use the room as a living room, so need something much less obtrusive than the current 61" rear projexsn TV. I am not a videophile and need something very simple and user friendly. As close to plug and play as possible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Guys! I just posted this for my friend and colleague, Seth today. Give us all your learned opinions. I'm sure we have a new AVS member in the making!

Joe Andresen

Palo Alto, CA

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, that is really incredible. I didn't think it could be possible to have such a huge price drop on the NEC LT150. I would sure be upset since lowest price anywhere before the drop was $4200, with many places selling it for $4800.

Infinity micro is selling it for $3152!!!

Infinity Micro

Software Plus and PC Nation are also selling the LT150 a bit higher than this price. Anyone know why they would drop the price so much?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Infinity micro is selling it for $3152!!!
Not quite. If you pay any other way besides cash (and who in their right mind would pay in cash over the Internet), Infinity Micro slaps on a 3% surcharge of $94.56. With shipping the total price is $3,262.79 (which is still pretty good).

[editorial]

(Off topic, but I had to set up a fake account with a bogus credit card number, shipping address, etc. just to find out what the surcharge would be. Whoever designed their website should be taken out and shot for hiding pricing information like that. If you're going to stick customers with a surcharge for using a credit card, at least be upfront about it! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif )

[/editorial]

If you haven't seen the LT150's image, be sure to audition it before you buy to check whether you are susceptible to the "rainbow effect" caused by the DLP's spinning color wheel. Other than that, I think you will find a lot of forum members who love their LT150. I have what is roughly NEC's LCD equivalent, the VT540, and have been extremely satisfied with it.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even still at $3262.79, it is still a great deal for the NEC LT150.

I think that maybe NEC is earning so much money off people purchasing their $500 1000-hour bulbs for their projectors that they don't mind dropping the price this much. A bit of the printer pricing coming into play. Maybe the LT155 will drop down too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sony 10HT, of course!... There is word of the 11HT being on the horizon (not sure about the exact differences). Properly calibrated, a progressive source, and, if you can, a grey screen (grayhawk or similar), this is a dynamite projector (very "plug-and-play").

Check the following AVS post: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005362.html ... nice thread for info and tips... Current best price is a hair under $5000, I believe.

Take care.

------------------

Joshua

[This message has been edited by Joshua (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Joe,

I thought you had a G11?

Anyways, if you are going to be doing a lot of cable and sport watching, you probably want a 4:3 projector.

And from the sounds of it, this will not be a dedicated theater so you may have ambient light issues.

If you have the bucks (and I know you came into some yesterday), I'd give the Sanyo XP18 a bash.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. My neighbours hate you

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Steve: How's it going? Are you able to simulate a 8.2 earthquake with the Entec subs? Yes, I have a G11. I posted this question for Seth, my friend so that he could get a good cross section of opinions on this topic.

Best regards, Joe

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sanyo units offer great brightness (2000 or 2500 lumens if you can swing a XP21n)

I highly recommend them for NTSC viewing and in rooms with ambient or uncontrollable lighting.

Very nice bright picture.

Speaking of bass, my BagEnd Infra arrives tonight.... fun fun fun. Gotta put the Dual Hsu's in the secondary system I think....

dg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bluhorizan:
I got excited hearing about Joe's DILA and want to learn more. I want HDTV capability of course. I will sit about 11.5 feet away and would use the set for movies and sports. My wife wants to use the room as a living room, so need something much less obtrusive than the current 61" rear projexsn TV. I am not a videophile and need something very simple and user friendly. As close to plug and play as possible.

I think my experience might be valuable to you. I have a Mits 65807 HDTV which I've tweaked to a great picture in my family room. Because I'm a constant malcontent, I got excited reading all the posts about the NEC LT150 -- 3 pounds, great price, great performance. So, I ordered one and it arrived on Friday. I was extremely excited when I took this little thing -- the size of a dictionary -- out of the box. I unhooked the Mits and wheeled it into another room and ran out to a local AV store and rented a screen for the weekend.

Boy, was I disappointed. Any ambient light at all washed the picture out. DSS pictures, which can be very bad because of compression, were very bad indeed. Films which looked great from my Tosh SD6200 progressive DVD player (e.g., Gladiator) were significantly worse, with many motion artifacts. And I had to turn the white balance (RGB for brightness and contrast) way, way up just to get decent contrast. HDTV (both OTA and HBO) were nothing special.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion, but I couldn't wait to get the Mits set up again. Once I did I realized what I'd had. Last night I watched Girl, Interrupted on HBOH and this morning Message in a Bottle. I was not anxious to see either of theses films, but I was spellbound as a result of the picture quality. Even sports on DSS are pretty good now and movies on SDTV are near HDTV quality.

I figured DLP, LCD or D-ILA were my next step up from a CRT RPTV and that I could do it much cheaper than the $10K+ that the top-of-the-line stuff is selling for. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't totally given up hope. I might take a look at the Sanyo XP21N LCD, because everyone says it's so bright a little ambient light won't be a problem. But, based on my experience, if you've got ambient light in your living room, you're going to be disappointed going from a good RPTV to the LT150.

Just my $.02.

------------------

Jamie

·
Registered
763 Posts
We have a Pioneer 64" RPTV in another room. So when I provide the following it is in comparision to that unit (model 710).

I don't think there is even a close comparission between front projection done properly and RPTV's. Just my own experience.

If your friend's wife wants an attratcive room the screen could be either motorized drop down and built into a wall with remote controlled drapes that can be very attractive.

What seems to crop up a lot is the trade off between price and performance.

IMHO, right now, from what I have seen a used G11 with a Crystal Image scaler is hard to beat. If you could get a G11 with used Crystal for around $7 to $7.5K your friend would have a really good picture. Comparable to CRT but with blacks a little less crisp or detailed. But, you'd have greater brightness, less hassle etc.

All of the top end DLP's will be in this price range (or higher, i.e. Seleco, DWIN etc).

I have not seen the new Sanyo. Should be worth a look. But, one thing some skip over is the need , IMO, of an outboard scaler. Don't know about the Sanyo in this regard.

But, I do know that the G11 with Crystal will give excellent performance at a reasonable price.

The top end RPTV's are around $6K I think.

Several people seem to be waiting on the new Sony ( 11HT ).

With the DILA you'll need a hush box and screen (of course). The Grayhawk is worth the price, IMO.

So a turn key G11, Crystal, WhisperFlow and Grayhawk might set your friend back around $9 to $10K.

You'll still need a good screen regardless of what you do.

And of course your friend could always do this piece meal.

I know Jason at AVS was looking for trade in's of G11's if this interests you.

I am really impressed with the picture we have on the above combo. Don't like the bulb cost but every technology we looked at had down sides. To us, that (and the noise thing) were manageable issues.

HTH.

Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.