AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the question. I've got a sony 1251, and I run the VB50 at 800x600. Would the iScan give me a better picture? Used for DVD for the great majority of the time (and maybe occasionally for DirecTV...boxing, MNF, et cetera). I already did a search, but most of those responses were comparing a VB50 for about $100 and the V1 for about $250, and the price of the iScan has gone done considerably (100-150). Thanks for any input.

Steve

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
The iScan V1 will do a better job for DVDs than the VB50 (I have used both) but I found the iScan V1 unacceptable for all analog video sources (VCRs, Laserdisc) becauses it's video processing circuits overload (clip) at too low a voltage. Analog sources frequently go above the 0.7 volt standard for the peak white levels within the video image and the iScan has NO headroom to accommodate such peak signals (the one I tested actually starting clipping with an input signal just under 0.7 volts and the manufacturer confirmed my unit was working normally). However the best DVD display on your 1251 would be with a good progressive scan DVD player that incorporates the DCDi deinterlacer chip combined with a component video-to-RGB transcoder. I'm using a Panasonic RP82 DVD player and an Audio Authority transcoder connected to a Sony 1271 projector and this combination works very well and produces better results than using the iScan (even the newer models) or the VB50.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ron. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. In fact, I was going to post a "How do I get the best picture out of my 1251q?" thread. You don't happen to know of any DVD mega-changers that use the DCDi deinterlacer, do you? I've got a Sony 200 disk changer right now, and I love that I can just flip to a movie. I can only seem to find a 5-disk changer that uses the DCDi in searching eBay, but I only did a quick scan. Thanks again for the very useful information.

Steve

·
Registered
885 Posts
Steve, I think Kenwood has a mega changer with DCDI in their Sovereign series.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.