AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a photographer and have a fairly nice i7 rig already built (i7 920, 6GB RAM, Xigmatek cooler, Corsair 650TX PSU, couple of HDD, 3450 video card with HDMI out). It is in my office upstairs and connected to my home network which has 4 other machines on it. My family room has our HT setup and I have been thinking about a way to incorporate a HTPC into the setup.

So I am trying to figure out if I can use the i7 as the "server" and just use a cheapo setup in the family room as a "player"? How cheap can I go? Anyway I can use an older machine not in commission anymore (like an AMD K7 or K8
). I have one sitting in the attic! If I can't go that cheap, how cheap could I actually go? I will need a BD player for the i7 machine as I only bought DVD drives when I built it. And likely some more storage, at least a 1TB drive to start. But what will I NEED for the machine in the family room? Cheap AMD system? 2-4GB RAM? Integrated graphics or stand alone card? Use XP for now and get Win 7 later (I have Vista in the i7 machine with a pre-order for Win7).

Right now we primarily watch HD cable and some BD and DVD from Netflix or the home library which is mostly DVD. I would also love to be able to display my photos, watch some home video of the kids, stream some music, etc. So here is what I do have:

- I already have the network setup with a wired connection in the family room to the i7 machine (10/100 routers, no gigabit).

- I have an older AVR, a Denon 3802, so will need to go HDMI from HTPC to TV and S/PDIF to receiver, right?

- I have an AMD K7 or K8 doing nothing right now and an AMD Athalon 3000+ machine (1.9GHZ, 2GB RAM) that was to be my wife's scrapbooking computer, but that could change

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont think for playback you need that much horsepower, my living room pc is a Win7 RC1, P4 2.8, Asus P5G(I think), 2 gig of ram, nVidia 9600 (I think but it might be an old ATI card), s/pdif from the mobo. I am able to play .iso BD rips & dvd rips accross the network using the onboard gigabit NIC. The BD rips are being played on a 720P 50" Sammy RP DLP

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can literally go as cheap as about $500 depending on how quiet, small or pretty you want it. The more you want any of those three things, the more the price goes up, especially if you want them all. Because the system will only have to do standard playing duties, no transcoding or anything, you can go very low power, as far down as an ION platform that would be about half the size of a DVR. The only drawback to that system is that it's quite bad with flash video like Hulu or Youtube. If you have a spare Athlon 64 and 2GB of ram for it you could set that up with a 4350 or equivalent and it'll run just fine and have HDMI. Most motherboards will have the spif you'll need for your amplifier, I say go for it, could be a very inexpensive addition.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker978 /forum/post/16980167

I dont think for playback you need that much horsepower, my living room pc is a Win7 RC1, P4 2.8, Asus P5G(I think), 2 gig of ram, nVidia 9600 (I think but it might be an old ATI card), s/pdif from the mobo. I am able to play .iso BD rips & dvd rips accross the network using the onboard gigabit NIC. The BD rips are being played on a 720P 50" Sammy RP DLP

Good to know, thanks! Would you say that gigabit is a major requirement or could I get away with my 10/100 stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/16980187

You can literally go as cheap as about $500 depending on how quiet, small or pretty you want it. The more you want any of those three things, the more the price goes up, especially if you want them all. Because the system will only have to do standard playing duties, no transcoding or anything, you can go very low power, as far down as an ION platform that would be about half the size of a DVR. The only drawback to that system is that it's quite bad with flash video like Hulu or Youtube. If you have a spare Athlon 64 and 2GB of ram for it you could set that up with a 4350 or equivalent and it'll run just fine and have HDMI. Most motherboards will have the spif you'll need for your amplifier, I say go for it, could be a very inexpensive addition.

In that case I would only need the 4350! and maybe a different case, hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your server, if its only going to be used for storage (not transcoding) then a low end machine will be sufficient - have you thought about what OS your using?

Your HTPC machine can be a low end dual core with 2 GB of ram and a decent Video card - ATI 4650, etc.

Honestly the i7 is way too much machine for either of these two tasks. Of course it will work wonderfully but its like taking a Lamborghini to the train station..

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/16980300

Your server, if its only going to be used for storage (not transcoding) then a low end machine will be sufficient - have you thought about what OS your using?

Your HTPC machine can be a low end dual core with 2 GB of ram and a decent Video card - ATI 4650, etc.

Honestly the i7 is way too much machine for either of these two tasks. Of course it will work wonderfully but its like taking a Lamborghini to the train station..

Well the i7 is a photo machine that I already own. I will just be giving it an additional task now. Processing several hundred photos at a time needs a lot of horsepower! It currently has Vista 64 home premium, but I have pre-ordered Win7 for the October release as well.

My current Athalon is a single core 1.9GHz with 2GB RAM. I might see if I can get away with this for now by adding a 4350 video card.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I have decided that i am going to test out my old Athalon system as the "client" and have ordered a couple things to get it up and going and am now trying to figure out what software I should be using. Boy is that fun! Here is the deal:

My i7 rig (from here out called server) has Vista Home Premium 64 with a Win7 upgrade on order for October. My client has XP Pro SP2. I have been reading some threads and have downloaded AnyDVD HD, My Movies x64 Server/Client and My Movies x86 client. I also downloaded DVD Shrink and VLC. But now I am so damned confused as to what I actually need.
For starters I plan to rip a few DVDs and some CDs to the server to test this all out and play around. I'll browse the net, view photos that are on the server, and some home videos of the kids. Once I get it all figured out I'll order a Blu Ray drive and figure out what else I need to rip BDs.

So is any of that software going to work? What do I need? I want to store everything on the server and be able to view it from the client. Will My Movies do that? Or do I need a MCE version of XP for it to work (or Vista/Win7). I would like something nice and easy on the client end for playing movies and such.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can get the RC of win7 for free (for the time being) then upgrade that later. anydvd HD will rip dvd's & BD/HDDVD. I rip complete disks of both dvd & bd but I am pretty sure you can rip just the movie. Not knocking it but the whole MKV thing always seems like a PITA but that would be up to you. I moved to mediabrowser from My Movies but again that is a matter of taste, I like the interface with mediabrowser a lot better. And I use TMT3 to mount iso's from daemon tools lite for playback of BD and MCE for dvd's. So the full round up of software for me is Anydvd HD, Daemon Tools, TMT3 and Mediabrowser.

I think the vista/win7 mce is much better than the XP version but that is just going from memory as I havent seen the xp mce in a long time.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm hearing crickets!

OK so as expected I have hit a few snags!

First I tried ripping with AnyDVD HD. Worked fine, but as a trial version I decided I would stick with DVD Shrink for now until I get all the kinks worked out. DVD Shrink worked great! I got VMC setup on the server and everything seems OK their. But on the client I can not play the TS files over the network. I tried using VLC but it says it can not read the file. Anybody know why? Firewall issue maybe?

So when that wouldn't work I decided to try My Movies. As expected it won't run on the client since it is not the media center edition.
Why does this stuff have to be so damn difficult?
So what am I to do to get these files to be able to play in Win XP Pro? Do I need something like Power DVD? I have an old version that came with a DVD drive. 2 channel only though. Or TMT3 (when I see that I can't help but think TMNT
). Or should I just install Win7 and use 7MC? I went ahead and downloaded the RC last night, but haven't installed it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker978 /forum/post/16984866

You can get the RC of win7 for free (for the time being) then upgrade that later. anydvd HD will rip dvd's & BD/HDDVD. I rip complete disks of both dvd & bd but I am pretty sure you can rip just the movie. Not knocking it but the whole MKV thing always seems like a PITA but that would be up to you. I moved to mediabrowser from My Movies but again that is a matter of taste, I like the interface with mediabrowser a lot better. And I use TMT3 to mount iso's from daemon tools lite for playback of BD and MCE for dvd's. So the full round up of software for me is Anydvd HD, Daemon Tools, TMT3 and Mediabrowser.

I think the vista/win7 mce is much better than the XP version but that is just going from memory as I havent seen the xp mce in a long time.

Downloaded the RC last night, but haven't installed it yet. Might just go that route. AnyDVD might work later but for now I'm sticking with DVD Shrink until I iron out the bugs. MediaBrowser is for files on the local machine only, correct? That is why I went with My Movies.

·
Registered
332 Posts
DVD Shrink is a good program. make sure your not actually shrinking the dvd though. most dvd's will come on dvd9 (dual layer dvd that holds 8.5g) and i believe the default setting for shrink is to resize the dvd so it can be burned to a dvd5 (single layer that holds 4g). if you shrink the dvd, you lose picture quality. it can also do blu-ray dics.

i actually prefer DVDfab. it is trailware w/out a time limit (i've been using it for a year now). you get limited function out of the free download but all you lose is resizing options (can't rip to ipod format/size, etc). it will let you rip to dvd9 or dvd5. but the kicker is it will let you remove fbi warnings and will load the main menu first instead of going thru preview crap.

for your network problem, if you can see the file, i doubt its a firewall issue. if it was, you won't be able to see anything but the comptuer (when you double click on the computer in the network window, it won't let you see the folders/files). i'm not 100% on that though.

i would say maybe it was a bad rip and try again?

for you htpc setup:

do you have codec's installed? if not, you can get k-lite codec pack, shark007, CCC codec pack or a few others. i've always liked k-lite and many people swear by shark007. if you haven't, install those on the htpc.

next, do you use media center? or do you just open them from the folder? i'd suggest using media center, its fairly intuitive on how to use and setup. it will scan folders you point it to for video/dvd's. it will read folder type dvd's (Video_TS) and ISO (images of a dvd) as well as .avi/mpg/etc file extensions. it can also be used over networks.

mediabrowser goes on the htpc. it is a plugin that makes media center look nicer. it will display movie posters, backdrops, movie actor/directors and a description of the movie. its a little involved to setup to how you like it, but well worth it.

meta is a program that will automatically download all the information and poster/backdrops needed for mediabrowser. this can be installed on either htpc or server (can work across a network). it will write xml files that contain all the information into the dvd's folder which mediabrowser will then read and display. it will also save the posters in the same place. it can also do all the same stuff for tv shows that you have saved.

anydvd hd is really only needed if you want to watch blu-ray discs when you do not have HDCP compliant hardware. it can remove the AACC (encryption) on the fly. you can put a bd in, it will remove the encryption and you can watch it on any tv with any hardware. if you have hdcp compliant hardware, its not that useful. you can rib bd with DVDfab as well w/out paying 80 bux for it. there are other uses for anydvd hd, but i don't think you will need them yet.

the athlon single core you mentioned should be plenty for watching dvd's. i don't think it will handle hd/bd stuff though. i use an athlon 2x 4200 (2.2ghz) in my htpc and its at 100% usage when watching bd material and can struggle at times. the i7 will be great if you ever need to transcode something, but for its purpose of a server, it will do little to no actual work. all the video processing will happen on the htpc. IF you used and extender, then the processing would happen on the i7.

10/100 network will be fine for dvd stuff. wireless is also good enough. if you want to watch bd over network, then you will need a giga network.

i'd say play around with media center, get a feel for it. its function is more or less the same in xp and win7 and mediabrowser works for both (but remember, it needs net framework 3.5 to work on either OS. for win7, i had to download a SDK 2.2g iso to install).

EDIT: as for MyMovies, i prefer mediabrowser cause you don't need the whole server/client setup. granted, you still need meta to gather all the data for movies and take full use of MB. i just found MM to have a steeper learning curve then MB + metabrowser.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr Bojangles, thanks for all the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/16987531

DVD Shrink is a good program. make sure your not actually shrinking the dvd though. most dvd's will come on dvd9 (dual layer dvd that holds 8.5g) and i believe the default setting for shrink is to resize the dvd so it can be burned to a dvd5 (single layer that holds 4g). if you shrink the dvd, you lose picture quality. it can also do blu-ray dics.

I did use compression on the disc I ripped last night just trying it out, but I will turn it off for future rips. Good to know it works for BD too!

Quote:
i actually prefer DVDfab. it is trailware w/out a time limit (i've been using it for a year now). you get limited function out of the free download but all you lose is resizing options (can't rip to ipod format/size, etc). it will let you rip to dvd9 or dvd5. but the kicker is it will let you remove fbi warnings and will load the main menu first instead of going thru preview crap.

Getting rid of the FBI warning would be great! I'll check out DVDfab too. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
for your network problem, if you can see the file, i doubt its a firewall issue. if it was, you won't be able to see anything but the comptuer (when you double click on the computer in the network window, it won't let you see the folders/files). i'm not 100% on that though.

i would say maybe it was a bad rip and try again?

The rip played fine on the server (In Vista Media Center), just not on the client using VLC. Maybe I'll try to see if VLC can play it on the server.

Quote:
for you htpc setup:

do you have codec's installed? if not, you can get k-lite codec pack, shark007, CCC codec pack or a few others. i've always liked k-lite and many people swear by shark007. if you haven't, install those on the htpc.

I have not installed any codecs (didn't know I needed them
). I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

Quote:
next, do you use media center? or do you just open them from the folder? i'd suggest using media center, its fairly intuitive on how to use and setup. it will scan folders you point it to for video/dvd's. it will read folder type dvd's (Video_TS) and ISO (images of a dvd) as well as .avi/mpg/etc file extensions. it can also be used over networks.

I use media center on the server (actually just used it for the first time last night). It was pretty nice, fairly easy to use as well. I had to do the registry edit to get it to play folder type DVDs, but it played the rip just fine last night.

Quote:
mediabrowser goes on the htpc. it is a plugin that makes media center look nicer. it will display movie posters, backdrops, movie actor/directors and a description of the movie. its a little involved to setup to how you like it, but well worth it.

I have seen some nice stuff about mediabrowser, but thought it was for the local machine only. If I keep the files on my server and use the HTPC to play those files, will mediabrowser work for that?

Quote:
meta is a program that will automatically download all the information and poster/backdrops needed for mediabrowser. this can be installed on either htpc or server (can work across a network). it will write xml files that contain all the information into the dvd's folder which mediabrowser will then read and display. it will also save the posters in the same place. it can also do all the same stuff for tv shows that you have saved.

If I go with mediabrowser I will definitely get metabrowser.

Quote:
anydvd hd is really only needed if you want to watch blu-ray discs when you do not have HDCP compliant hardware. it can remove the AACC (encryption) on the fly. you can put a bd in, it will remove the encryption and you can watch it on any tv with any hardware. if you have hdcp compliant hardware, its not that useful. you can rib bd with DVDfab as well w/out paying 80 bux for it. there are other uses for anydvd hd, but i don't think you will need them yet.

Right now I think my graphics would not be HDCP compliant, but not sure, need to double check. But if I get this going I will need to upgrade the GPU anyway so not that big of a deal. I'll iron out the DVD stuff first, then move into Blu-ray. At that point it doesn't look like I'll need AnyDVD after all! Sweet!

Quote:
the athlon single core you mentioned should be plenty for watching dvd's. i don't think it will handle hd/bd stuff though. i use an athlon 2x 4200 (2.2ghz) in my htpc and its at 100% usage when watching bd material and can struggle at times. the i7 will be great if you ever need to transcode something, but for its purpose of a server, it will do little to no actual work. all the video processing will happen on the htpc. IF you used and extender, then the processing would happen on the i7.

Thanks for the comparison. I knew it might be a stretch for the single core machine to do bd stuff. What is an extender? If it would save me from having to get a new PC for now, I might go that route and use the i7 to do the processing.

Quote:
10/100 network will be fine for dvd stuff. wireless is also good enough. if you want to watch bd over network, then you will need a giga network.

I can pick up a gigabit switch and integrate that easily. Both machines have gigabit cards so the switch is all I am lacking.

Quote:
i'd say play around with media center, get a feel for it. its function is more or less the same in xp and win7 and mediabrowser works for both (but remember, it needs net framework 3.5 to work on either OS. for win7, i had to download a SDK 2.2g iso to install).

Well that is the one problem I have. My version of XP has no media center (XP Pro SP2). So I would need to upgrade that machine to Win7 (or Vista) in order to have media center correct?

Quote:
EDIT: as for MyMovies, i prefer mediabrowser cause you don't need the whole server/client setup. granted, you still need meta to gather all the data for movies and take full use of MB. i just found MM to have a steeper learning curve then MB + metabrowser.

Again, does mediabrowser/metabrowser work over a network?

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/16988173

I have seen some nice stuff about mediabrowser, but thought it was for the local machine only. If I keep the files on my server and use the HTPC to play those files, will mediabrowser work for that?

yes. mediabrowser will be installed on the htpc/client. when it looks for movies over the network on the server, it will see the xml files and load them to display the information. same with the folder.jpg and backgroud.jpg files. how you create those with any software you choose. i started with MM (MyMovies) and when i switched, MB (mediabrowser) read all the MM files and loaded them. have just since moved to meta to create those files and data.

Quote:

Right now I think my graphics would not be HDCP compliant, but not sure, need to double check. But if I get this going I will need to upgrade the GPU anyway so not that big of a deal. I'll iron out the DVD stuff first, then move into Blu-ray. At that point it doesn't look like I'll need AnyDVD after all! Sweet!

ya, i just rip a bd with dvdfab and then use a 3rd party software player to play it. i guess i'm not 100% if playing it thru the folder needs HDCP or not. my hardware is HDCP but its never given me any hassle about it.

media center wont play bd discs at all, MS doesn't want the hassles that could come with it. you can use certain Power DVD's, windvd 9 i believe works, and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3 will all work. you can also set up MB to auto launch any of those players when you select a bd. when the move is done or you stop it, it will re-launch/re-open media center for you so it is seemless.

Quote:

Thanks for the comparison. I knew it might be a stretch for the single core machine to do bd stuff. What is an extender? If it would save me from having to get a new PC for now, I might go that route and use the i7 to do the processing.
Microsoft has a good overview of media extenders. its basiclly a router sized device that will stream a video signal from the server to a tv. the server thus does all the processing involved. the reason people suggested an xbox 360 is cause it can server as a media extender. you get a great gaming platform and extender. only down side the 360 can't play all type of files and you need transcode videos to play them. i forget off hand what it can and can not play, but a quick google search should tell ya.

Quote:

Well that is the one problem I have. My version of XP has no media center (XP Pro SP2). So I would need to upgrade that machine to Win7 (or Vista) in order to have media center correct?

er... i thought all xp except business had media center. i guess i'm wrong. well, you have two options then: first is to get win7 rc (release candidate ie, beta) or rtm (release to manufacturers, ie final version) and use that till it expires (rc is june '10 and rtm is 4 months i believe). or you can use media portal. i haven't used portal yet and not 100% how it works, but i *think* you can install it on most OS's. i believe its fairly similar to media center. there is a sticky thread that talks all about it.

Quote:

Again, does mediabrowser/metabrowser work over a network?

yes. mediabrowser on the htpc/client. metabrowser can be on either the htpc or the server. you can point both to your movies folder across a network.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/16988373

yes. mediabrowser will be installed on the htpc/client. when it looks for movies over the network on the server, it will see the xml files and load them to display the information. same with the folder.jpg and backgroud.jpg files. how you create those with any software you choose. i started with MM (MyMovies) and when i switched, MB (mediabrowser) read all the MM files and loaded them. have just since moved to meta to create those files and data.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I see! That makes sense. I'll definitely check it out in more detail then as I really liked the interface.

Quote:
ya, i just rip a bd with dvdfab and then use a 3rd party software player to play it. i guess i'm not 100% if playing it thru the folder needs HDCP or not. my hardware is HDCP but its never given me any hassle about it.

Not too worried about it for now. Just want to learn and gather as much info as possible before jumping in with both feet!

Quote:
media center wont play bd discs at all, MS doesn't want the hassles that could come with it. you can use certain Power DVD's, windvd 9 i believe works, and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3 will all work. you can also set up MB to auto launch any of those players when you select a bd. when the move is done or you stop it, it will re-launch/re-open media center for you so it is seemless.

That sounds pretty cool. When it comes time for bd I'll give one or more of those a try, but at least they work seamlessly with media center.

Quote:
Microsoft has a good overview of media extenders. its basiclly a router sized device that will stream a video signal from the server to a tv. the server thus does all the processing involved. the reason people suggested an xbox 360 is cause it can server as a media extender. you get a great gaming platform and extender. only down side the 360 can't play all type of files and you need transcode videos to play them. i forget off hand what it can and can not play, but a quick google search should tell ya.

Ah OK. Thanks again for the info!

Quote:
er... i thought all xp except business had media center. i guess i'm wrong. well, you have two options then: first is to get win7 rc (release candidate ie, beta) or rtm (release to manufacturers, ie final version) and use that till it expires (rc is june '10 and rtm is 4 months i believe). or you can use media portal. i haven't used portal yet and not 100% how it works, but i *think* you can install it on most OS's. i believe its fairly similar to media center. there is a sticky thread that talks all about it.

Well, you could be right, but I didn't see it. I did some searching and it appeared that you had to have the MCE version to get it. Anyone know for sure? For now I think I would just use the RC version of Win7 and likely build a new machine once I get everything going and buy a retail version of Win 7 at that time. But I will check out Media Portal as well. I saw the sticky, but hadn't got to it yet.

Quote:
yes. mediabrowser on the htpc/client. metabrowser can be on either the htpc or the server. you can point both to your movies folder across a network.

Sweet! Thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I can't believe no one mentioned SageTV. Check it out. Their extender (HD200) is $200 and can do what you are looking for.

So, you could get SageTV Media Center and run it on the i7 machine and it acts as a server. Then, you can get an HD200 for each TV (or you could also use an existing PC with enough horsepower (need PCIe graphics with hardware accel. of HD material).

Personally, I have a QX9750 running in the basement as the server with DirecTV content being served up to 3 HD200s in the house. Works great.

-Brian

·
Registered
492 Posts
The key to your setup is to snag yourself a videocard that can do H.264 and VC-1 decoding. I have a 4600+ CPU in there and while I play 1080, the CPU pegs at around 12%. I could probably put a 4000+ in there if I wanted to. If you have the spare parts to build a PC, just get a 4000 series ATi or a 9000 series nVidia. I splurged extra on the silent 4670.

Is your house wired for ethernet?

I'm using Windows 7 x64 home premium of of 1 copies from my technet plus subscription (ssh! don't tell MS!) A worthy upgrade over Vista.

It works so much better than Vista!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake /forum/post/16988626

I can't believe no one mentioned SageTV. Check it out. Their extender (HD200) is $200 and can do what you are looking for.

So, you could get SageTV Media Center and run it on the i7 machine and it acts as a server. Then, you can get an HD200 for each TV (or you could also use an existing PC with enough horsepower (need PCIe graphics with hardware accel. of HD material).

Personally, I have a QX9750 running in the basement as the server with DirecTV content being served up to 3 HD200s in the house. Works great.

-Brian

Thanks for the heads up Brian. That sounds like an interesting alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe /forum/post/16989530

The key to your setup is to snag yourself a videocard that can do H.264 and VC-1 decoding. I have a 4600+ CPU in there and while I play 1080, the CPU pegs at around 12%. I could probably put a 4000+ in there if I wanted to. If you have the spare parts to build a PC, just get a 4000 series ATi or a 9000 series nVidia. I splurged extra on the silent 4670.

I was thinking of picking up a 4350. Any reason to go higher than that?

Quote:
Is your house wired for ethernet?

Not everywhere, but at the locations I need for this to work. My office contains the cable modem and first router (Linksys 4 port). I have a wired connection from there to the i7 computer and another run downstairs to the wall behind the entertainment center. I have a wireless B/G router there (DHCP turned off so the upstairs router does the IP addressing). My Blu-Ray player is connected to this (and the Wii is wireless as well as two laptops). So I have a wired connection there when I need it.

Quote:
I'm using Windows 7 x64 home premium of of 1 copies from my technet plus subscription (ssh! don't tell MS!) A worthy upgrade over Vista.

It works so much better than Vista!

Win 7 will be a certain upgrade for me on the i7 machine. The others will come over time.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank for all the help guys!

I got the PC going last night. I decided to try out MediaPortal and I like it! I used the sticky to set it up, so far so good!

I decided to leave everything on the PC as is so I am using an AMD 3000+ 1.9GHz processor with 2GB RAM and the onboard nVidia 6150 graphics via DVI out to HDMI on my TV. It looked great (Netflix streaming is OK, might need to see if I can get it better)! I still need to work on some things (didn't get audio up yet since my receiver is difficult to get to the back of) and start ripping my movies, but so far it is awesome! Even my wife though it was cool (other than the video quality through Netflix streaming).

I also need to pick up a MCE remote and get it configured on my Harmony One, and pick up another wireless mouse/keyboard so any recommendations on that would be great! I'll add Blu-Ray and get a Gigabit switch a little down the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts