AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a local distributor lent me an LT150z for the weekend and I am quite dissapointed.

In bright scenes, the image looks great - lots of colour saturation, and blacks are black. In dark scenes, on the other hand, the shadows lack so much detail that I can't distinguish between the end of the picture and the halo (viewing a ~100" 16:9 image on a non-masked 4:3 screen).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using a AMD 1.33 HTPC with PowerDVD 3 and an Asus v7100 GeForce2 MX video card.

Screendoor: nil, and rainbows non-bothersome. Fan a little loud, but we all expected that!

Very frustrating!

Ben Bell

P.S. also got to see the new Sony 11. Looks AWESOME (but too expensive)!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure if the only difference is the zoom, but have you tried changing the gamma controls to natural 1 or 2? Also, I think the new WinDvd may support gamma control so you could also adjust it in the software if you had to. I have a ATI Radeon and I can do this with the ATI player.

Funny that your comparison is the Sony. I was looking at the 10HT and I had the exact same problem with the Sony, but have been very pleased with the NEC. I found that it had substantially better shadow detail compared to the Sony. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Try gamma 2 setting for live action and have just upgraded to WinDVD 2.8 (still behind the times) with a Radeon video card and of course the Hipower screen which is fully masked. I adjust the brightness slightly, depending on the DVD. It is usually a few clicks below default and sometimes almost at default. Shadow detail is excellent. Experiment - that's what makes this hobby fun! You'll find the settings you need.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
On all video equipment, the brightness control is really a black level control - make sure that is set correctly.

On the LT150 and I would guess the "z" the halo should actually be brighter than the actual image.

Good luck.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Benbell, have you seen a regular LT150? Comparison? Better or worse?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shahram72:

The LT150z was noticably brighter than the LT150, but with the z in econo mode they were (in my opinion) almost the same; all except the z lamp lasts for 1600 hours (vs. 1000 for the LT150) in that mode. This is a significant jump; those bulbs are expensive!

Colour wise, the z was a little less vibrant, but this may be psychological, because in a "blinded" (not literally, boys) test (LT150z in econo), I could not identify which one was which.

The z also needs a longer throw distance for the same size picture.

Back to my original shadow detail problem. I played with the brightness controls in PowerDVD and my video card, which made the image look better, but it still few below what I was expecting.

That said, the LT150z is a great machine. It produces awesome colour in brightly lit scenes, but when it gets darker....... The Sony 11HT, though, is in a whole other league! Although, the Sony does suffer from a huge screendoor, and the NEC has no noticable pixles.

...Ben Bell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.